PDA

View Full Version : Scilly Isles

Nimrod615
20th Jun 2006, 09:44
Anyone off to the Scilly Isles 1st 2nd and 3rd of July?

Anyone been there before? First time for me and I've been told the runway's a bit of fun to land on being more like a micro gravity parabolic curve!!!:uhoh:

wsmempson
20th Jun 2006, 12:33
I think that there is a British Airways Flying Club outing going there from Booker that weekend. Call 01494 529 262. See if you can tag along....

Mariner9
20th Jun 2006, 14:05
Was there for the 1st time earlier this year.

ATC expect 24hr PPR and a Flightplan, though there is no mention of 24hrs notice in my Pooley's or more importantly the AIC. (I got moaned at for "only" 3 hrs PPR but thought it prudent not to argue the case :rolleyes: )

Rwy's do have a significant gradient at ends, but I didn't find it any big deal. Lovely walk into town certainly made the trip worthwhile :ok:

Newforest
20th Jun 2006, 14:06
Anyone off to the Scilly Isles 1st 2nd and 3rd of July?
Anyone been there before? First time for me and I've been told the runway's a bit of fun to land on being more like a micro gravity parabolic curve!!!:uhoh:

Best flight of my life, Blackpool to the Scillys'. Also made interesting as ATC confused my ID with another that had requested permission to visit, (I hadn't). Yes, both ends of the runway can't see each other so make sure it is clear.

Nimrod615
20th Jun 2006, 14:38
WS

I'll be going anyway. Bit of a hol! I'll be at booker this w/e any hoo, so i'll ask 'em then. Gotta fly some a/c up for the Expo. Any going to that?

AlanM
20th Jun 2006, 14:57
Anyone able to reccomend some cheapish hotels/B&Bs for a night in late July???

(In the Scilly Isles!)

helicopter-redeye
20th Jun 2006, 15:13
I was there a couple of weeks ago and ATC was happy to accept 30 mins PPR (silver tounged devil, etc...).

For runway users, from the ramp you can't see the threshold the runway is so contorted ....

CDH
20th Jun 2006, 19:57
Anyone able to reccomend some cheapish hotels/B&Bs for a night in late July???
(In the Scilly Isles!)

You'll be very lucky to find anywhere at this short notice with rooms available for July. Theres not a lot of accomodation to start with & what there is tends to get booked up far in advance.

Best do a google search "scilly accommodation" & start ring around.
You might find the b&b's out of town might be your best bet.
It'll be worth it though- it's a gem.
Don't forget there are only local movements on Sunday's.

Good luck

AlanM
20th Jun 2006, 20:59
Thanks chaps.

Might be the tent then......!

Gonzo
20th Jun 2006, 21:15
It's the only way, Alan.

Humaround
20th Jun 2006, 21:47
We are planning to fly to the Scillies, coincidentally, during the week after this proposed fly-in. It will be the first time we've flown over that much water and we're feeling like we ought file a flight plan.

Never done that before! :eek:

We'll be starting from a farmstrip in the Midlands. What's the best way to file the plan if we have no ATSU handy? By phone? Internet?

Advice from the experienced most welcome...

Skypartners
20th Jun 2006, 22:12
Suggest you file direct with NATS at Heathrow. Fax number is 0208 745 3491. Then phone Scilly ATC to make sure they have it. Happy landings!

AlanM
21st Jun 2006, 08:31
It's the only way, Alan.

[pompus voice]Me - the eight Earl of Winchester?[/pompous voice]

I ain't sleeping in any more aircraft (or under any wings!) any more.

Mariner9
21st Jun 2006, 08:39
It will be the first time we've flown over that much water and we're feeling like we ought file a flight plan.
Never done that before! :eek:
We'll be starting from a farmstrip in the Midlands. What's the best way to file the plan if we have no ATSU handy? By phone? Internet?

Flight plans are considered (by Scillies ATC at least) to be mandatory. Had a discussion about this on another forum, considered view was that as the AIC says something like Flight plans should be filed rather than must be filed, they are not technically mandatory.

FP's can also be filed over the phone with Heathrow on 0208 745 3111/3163, just have all your FP details to hand when you call. For item 13 (Departure Aerodrome) enter "ZZZZ" and in 18 (Other information) enter "DEP/farmstrip name". Enjoy the flight :ok:

xz0npz
21st Jun 2006, 11:14
Flew to St Mary's on Thursday 8 June from Blackpool (via Perranporth). No need for a flight plan any more (unless you want to) and just phoned for PPR on the day. I can see that they may want more PPR notice at times as there is a relatively small amount of parking available.
The airfield is "interesting". We landed on 09, 250m grass then 273m tarmac with each end sloping up/down at about 1 in 13. I found that 20degree flap (C172) and some power was a good approach allowing for a go-around if needed. Not as difficult as you may think as long as you think out the approach and landing beforehand.
The airfield is great with outside seating to watch the Twotters and Islanders (and Helis) coming in and out. Superb views of the island too.
The walk into Hugh Town was great and if you get a chance, do the island tour on the open-top London bus!
Acommodation - we couldn't get any for less than £100/night per person B&B, so we stayed at the Seiners Arms in Perranporth and commuted.... (Supply and demand?)
Well worth a visit and possibly vying with Oban and Sandown as my favourite UK Airfield of all time - every pilot should go at least once!

welkyboy
21st Jun 2006, 16:02
You need to phone for PPR so as the ATCO can check that you know of the interesting layout of the field and the inbound and outbound procedures, the airspace is quite busy between Lands End with Islanders and Penzance with helicopters, note, also that there is no fuel available and the airfield is closed on Sundays, although they (ATC) have a slot for departures only between 1500 and 1600, this has to be prearranged on arrival. Fuel is available at Lands End so a lot of pilots land at Lands End outbound, refuel, check PPR and go.
On a nice day it is one of the best flights available in UK, but beware of the fickle British weather!!!

welkyboy
21st Jun 2006, 16:04
PS

Please do not refer to them as the Scilly Isles they are the Isles of Scilly,

ContinentalC85
21st Jun 2006, 18:59
Happy campers
Be aware that camping under the wing is not allowed at the airfield
There is a small camping ground on St Marys , but I think even this gets booked well in advanced

eyeinthesky
21st Jun 2006, 19:11
My experience of flying in there (admittedly during the cutter racing weekend) and booking accommodation was that as soon as I mentioned flying a private aircraft, the B&B wanted full payment in advance in case the weather prevented me from making it...

Other than that, a great place to fly to. Park on the grass behind the tower (quite a slope, so chocks/parking brake necessary) and then walk down the footpath which leads from this grass. It leads you to a lovely bay, and if you turn left as you reach the sea along a track you will find a good cafe overlooking the bay which serves great local fish. Only 10 mins walk from the aircraft.

Beware of the visual aspect of the sloping runway. When I was there there was a sorry-looking aircraft which had bent its prop due to incorrect flare technique... very expensive too, as parts had to be sent out from the mainland.