PDA

View Full Version : Safety Briefing for Passengers in C172...where to get text?

acuba 290
18th Jun 2006, 17:31
Just if somebody can give me a link or text of what i have to say to pax in 172 before departure? I can not find this reference in my books. I know, that on the exam i have to tell everything to examiner as to passenger. So i looking for all emergency procedures text, can anybody help?;)

On the Spot
18th Jun 2006, 17:36
I have not come across a "standard" briefing. Instead I consider what I would want to know about the impending flight if I were the passengers. Their level of experience for one thing, where I would like their help and where and when I require their cooperation such as not to talk over the radio. Of course the standard what to do in the forseeable emergencies without creating unease.
In the case of an examiner I have usually simply stated I assume that the briefing is covered as he has more experience than I. If he wishes he has asked me to elaborate as above on the content.

acuba 290
18th Jun 2006, 17:38
but maybe still some text exist for that? maybe in some book?

FenFlyer
18th Jun 2006, 17:43
It is worth reading this CAA saftey sense leaflet and then putting together your own brief.

http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?categoryid=33&pagetype=65&applicationid=11&mode=detail&id=1157

acuba 290
18th Jun 2006, 18:29
It is worth reading this CAA saftey sense leaflet and then putting together your own brief.

http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?categoryid=33&pagetype=65&applicationid=11&mode=detail&id=1157

thanx for link, it helps;)

Shaggy Sheep Driver
18th Jun 2006, 19:33
Why do you need a set text? Just tell them what they need to know. As pilot in command you should know what that is without recourse to a crib sheet. It worries me that you apparently don't.

SSD

172driver
18th Jun 2006, 20:23
Suggest you tell 'em what you would tell yourself. At least that's my way of doing it. I.e. location of life vests (a lot of my flights are over water, I therefore also cover ditching), doors open before touchdown in emergency, get rid of all unnessesary cables (headsets), etc to facilitate egress, etc, etc.

Gertrude the Wombat
18th Jun 2006, 20:50
Don't forget to tell them where the sick bag is.

That way you won't have a passenger spending the entire flight doing nothing but worry (without telling you) about what would happen if they were sick.

Oh, and some passengers don't realise that it's the wings that keep the thing flying, not the engine, and might spend the entire flight worrying (without telling you) about what would happen if the fan stopped.. So before take-off I ask them what keeps the thing in the air, and when (perhaps with some hints) they've got that one right I ask them what would happen if the engine were to stop, and then when we're in the air at some point I'll pull back to idle to demonstrate.

Fuji Abound
18th Jun 2006, 20:58
Here is mine - printed on back and front of one A4 sheet. Passengers can then read it if they like. The second page tells them a bit about what they can expect.

Safety First
Please wear your lap belt (rear passengers), or shoulder harness and lap belt (front passengers) at all times. Do not release your belt during the flight, or before take off, or after landing, until asked to do so. Please ensure that you are familiar with how to release your belt.

If you are seated in the front, please do not place any articles on the floor, and keep you feet clear of the pedals.

In the unlikely event of an emergency landing, you will be asked to adopt the brace position, so ask now if you are not familiar with this. Leave the aircraft immediately it has come to a standstill and the engine has stopped. Do not attempt to take personal belongings with you. Move to a safe distance, and do not return to the aircraft. Do not release your belt until after landing. Ensure the emergency services are called.

For flights over water only
This aircraft is equipped with constant wear self inflating life jackets and a life raft. If you are asked to wear a life jacket ensure you are familiar with its operation. In the event of an emergency landing on water leave the aircraft immediately, and do not attempt to take personal belongings with you. Inflate your jacket and board the life raft as soon as it is inflated. It is extremely dangerous to inflate either your life jacket or the life raft whilst in the aircraft. Do not inflate either until you have left the aircraft.

Before Departure
Please remember to visit the loo before the flight. There are no loos on board!

If going outside the UK, check you have your passport.

If you have a mobile ‘phone with you please check this is switched off now.

Please wear your head set at all times when the engine is running. The microphone should be placed as near to your mouth as possible. This will ensure you can be heard and the pilot can talk to you. Your conversation cannot be heard by air traffic control, so do not worry. Remain silent when asked to by the pilot, or when the pilot is talking to traffic control.

For Your Comfort
In the event you feel motion sickness, please tell the pilot and ask for a sick bag. The seat pockets on the rear of the front seats hold sick bags. It is better to speak sooner than later! Please feel free to use the fresh air vents in the rear and front. These often help to reduce the effects of motion sickness. If the sun is shining it will be more comfortable with sun glasses.

Enjoy your flight, it should be a memorable experience!

Your First Flight in the Cockpit!

Your pilot will describe to you various aspects of the operation of the aircraft, its navigation and air traffic control, but you may find it interesting to read through this brief introduction to your flight.

The airport
You may notice the control tower on top of the main terminal building. The air traffic controller is situated here. You may also notice, although it becomes more clear as you taxi, that the airport has x runways.

Before taxi
One of the first things you will hear on the radio is the pilot listening to the ATIS. This is a repeating recorded message that, among other things, tells the pilot which runway is being used, the strength of the wind, and the air pressure. The movement of aircraft is controlled by air traffic and you will hear air traffic instruct the pilot which taxiway to use and at which point(s) to stop (hold) the aircraft. The procedures are common to all larger airports and are no different from those used at large airports.

During taxi
Notice that the pilot does not use the steering wheel (yoke) to steer the aircraft. Steering is accomplished using your feet. Movements of the yoke are only to alleviate the effect of wind on the aircraft whilst it is on the ground. Notice also that movements the pilot makes to the yoke or the pedals are duplicated exactly to the copilots controls.

Before take off
The pilot will bring the aircraft to a halt just short of the runway. This is a good vantage place to watch other aircraft landing. Aircraft which land and then immediately take off again are practising, and the pilot may be a student. The pilot will perform a number of checks to ensure the aircraft’s systems are operating normally. Similar checks are performed in all aircraft, but you may not be as aware they are taking place on a commercial service because they are often conducted whilst the aircraft is taxing to save time.

Notice now by looking at the wind sock that the runway selected will face as close as possible into wind. Pilots will always take off and land into wind. Notice also the pilot may have selected a stage of flap, and that the lever that appears to be a handbrake in fact operates the flaps.

Take off
Air traffic will ask the pilot to “line up” on the runway. The aircraft will accelerate smoothly and you should be able to follow the speed increasing on the speedo, watching for the aircraft to leave the ground at around x knots. Remember the speed is recorded in knots which are more than mph. Notice also that the pilot now transfers to controlling the aircraft by using the yoke as well as the pedals, and that whilst left and right work like a normal steering wheel, up and down are controlled by pulling or pushing the yoke.

After take off the pilot will throttle back the engine. This is no cause for concern, and is both to reduce noise for environmental friendliness and to conserve engine life. A beauty of light aircraft is that they usually fly a lot lower that commercial aircraft, not least because the pilot also enjoys the scenery, although in fact the aircraft is quite capable of climbing to over x miles, so SIT BACK AND ENJOY THE VIEW, YOU ARE IN SAFE HANDS AND THE VIEW WILL BE BREATHTAKING.

In flight
Notice the pilot will talk to various different controllers if you are travelling across the country and these will usually be based at the nearest airport to your current location. Notice also that the pilot may bank the aircraft, climb or descend far more dramatically that you may be use to if you have flown in a commercial aircraft. Passengers in commercial aircraft prefer their gin and tonics to remain upright, this is flying for enjoyment! The aircraft is aerobatic and is quite capable of flying up side down so do not be concerned, however if you feel uncomfortable with the motion, particularly if you agree to the pilot aerobating the aircraft, you may find the motion disconcerting and /or uncomfortable at first. DO NOT HESITATE TO SAY THAT YOU ARE FEELING THE EFFECTS OF MOTION SICKNESS OR G, as unfortunately it will usually get worse not better if the pilot is not alerted so he can flying the aircraft more gently. If you have previously flown in a commercial airliner you will also find the aircraft is more greatly effected by the turbulence. This is quite normal because the aircraft is considerably lighter than its commercial counterpart.
Landing
The pilot’s work load will probably be at its greatest. From his point of view this is the most difficult part of the flight. Notice that the pilot will probably fly a square orbit around the runway. Listen for the pilot to say he is down wind and if you look to your left or right you should see the runway on which you can expect to land, albeit you are flying in the opposite direction from that in which you are going to land. Listen for the pilot to say final and you should see the runway directly in front of you. On occasions the pilot may elect not to land the first time and after a brief touch down, take off again. This is quite normal so do not be concerned.
After landing
In many ways operating a light aircraft is a freedom and privilege that is rare to find today, so I hope you have enjoyed the experience and will have also gained a better insight into the operation of airports and the aircraft they serve.

acuba 290
18th Jun 2006, 21:39
Fuji Abound

Thank you very much! Exactly something like that i was looking for;)

acuba 290
18th Jun 2006, 21:42
Why do you need a set text? Just tell them what they need to know. As pilot in command you should know what that is without recourse to a crib sheet. It worries me that you apparently don't.

SSD

i can tell anything i want, but was actually thinking about some form which already exist...

Whopity
19th Jun 2006, 18:48
Try the Air Navigation Order Article 53
Passenger briefing by commander

(1) Subject to paragraph (2), the commander of an aircraft registered in the United Kingdom shall take all reasonable steps to ensure:

(a) before the aircraft takes off on any flight, that all passengers are made familiar with the position and method of use of emergency exits, safety belts (with diagonal shoulder strap where required to be carried), safety harnesses and (where required to be carried) oxygen equipment, lifejackets and the floor path lighting system and all other devices required by or under this Order and intended for use by passengers individually in the case of an emergency occurring to the aircraft; and

(b) that in an emergency during a flight, all passengers are instructed in the
emergency action which they should take.

(2) This article shall not apply to the commander of an aircraft registered in the United Kingdom in relation to a flight under and in accordance with the terms of a police air operator’s certificate.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
19th Jun 2006, 20:04
i can tell anything i want, but was actually thinking about some form which already exist...

You can tell them anything you want. But as Pilot in Command you should not need a prompt as to what you should be telling them. That was my point. It's part of what being 'in command' is about.

SSD

steinycans
20th Jun 2006, 02:24
Welcome aboard, I'd like to point out the safety features of this aircraft.

There is an emergency location transmitter mounted behind the rear baggage compartment. In the unlikely event of an unscheduled off-field landing, this may be automatically activated. It can be manually activated by pressing this switch up to the on position [indicate]. In any case, a red light will glow in the centre of the button when it is transmitting. The transmitter itself is portable can can be removed from the aircraft.

There is a first aid kit for minor cuts and abrasions under the rear seat and a fire extinguisher between the two front seats [indicate] the contents of which are oxygen depleting so the cabin will need to be ventilated immediatly after use.

If you could ensure your seatbelts are securely fastened and remain fastened for the duration of the flight. Also, that cellphones or other portable electronic devices are switched off. I would also like to remind you that smoking is not permitted aboard this aircraft.

In the unlikely event of an unscheduled off-field landing, I may ask you to raise the door handle to the 45 degree position [demonstrate] as in this position, the door is closed but unlocked. In the fully forward position, it is locked and cannot be opened from the outside.

The brace position for an unscheduled off-field landing is illustrated on the passenger briefing card. Please review this card before takeoff. Thankyou.

Gertrude the Wombat
20th Jun 2006, 18:09
Nobody has mentioned all the stuff you tell them long before you get anywhere near an aeroplane (apart from the "go to the loo" bit; essential, that one).

Starting with when you make the arrangements, when you warn them that there will probably be an hour of hanging around the airfield before you take off, so they should allow about three hours for a one hour flight, and when you warn them that because it's summer there's only a 50% chance of a weather cancellation (adjust for the season), and so on.

Then moving on to telling them that they have to obey your instructions when on the airfield, and that aircraft have right of way over pedestrians (the opposite to roads), and to keep away from propellors, particular if there's nobody in the aircraft (it only takes three things to go wrong at once for a propellor to spontaneously start up etc etc).

Then in the air the bit about "please tell me if you see any other little aeroplanes or helicopters or gliders, I've probably seen them before you but tell me anyway just in case". And the demo of how it's the wings that keep the thing flying (just idle the throttle and point out how the wings are still attached and the thing is still flying).

I wouldn't dream of giving them a card to read. No opportunity to demonstrate things and ask questions in both directions and check that they've understood what they need to. (I get them to demonstrate to me that they can undo the seat belt and open the door.)

And the one thing that's never spelt out in airline safety briefings:

"Once clear of the aircraft, after a non-normal landing, run like hell. Preferably not downwind. Straight out from the side of the aircraft is usually a good choice."

OVC002
20th Jun 2006, 19:51
SSD

What a marvellously constructive response to a reasonable question.

The first (and last) safety briefing I had from an instructor was just before my trial lesson. From memory it went something like " Here's the extinguisher, there's a 1st aid kit in the back, don't touch anything, do what I tell you"

With the addition of how to use the belts, open the doors and get in the raft I use the same.

Nothing wrong with an A4 sheet but I suspect that most folks don't read it.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
20th Jun 2006, 21:30
What a marvellously constructive response to a reasonable question.
The first (and last) safety briefing I had from an instructor was just before my trial lesson. From memory it went something like " Here's the extinguisher, there's a 1st aid kit in the back, don't touch anything, do what I tell you"
With the addition of how to use the belts, open the doors and get in the raft I use the same.
Nothing wrong with an A4 sheet but I suspect that most folks don't read it.

Not at all sure what your point is from this post, especially your first sentence.

Here's my point, in case you missed it (like I said, I can't tell from your post whether you missed it or not).

Being 'in command' means more than having an abiity to drive the aeroplane. It means taking responsibility for the flight in all its aspects, not least knowing what your passengers will need to know in case of emergency.

That's all.

SSD