PDA

View Full Version : Best route to Texel

Flyinganaes
14th Jun 2006, 14:39
Hi. I'm flying to texel from leicester, stopping over at Calais for fuel/lunch. What is the best route from calais to texel? There seems to be a lot of controlled airspace (including class A at Schipol) extending to quite low levels. Are there any peculiarites about dutch airpace that I need to know. Thanks in anticipation.

Ni Thomas
14th Jun 2006, 16:05
My route went something like:-

Calais ---> Exit Calais CTR at Rep.Point 'E' (N50 56.6 E002 10.0).

Rep.Pt. 'E' ---> VOR 'COA' (118.05) (Keeps you clear of the Nuclear Power Stn at Graveline). Calais may clear you on to Ostende (120.60) or Brussels Info 126.90) Suggest go with Ostend and stay below 1100' unless cleared higher by Ostende.
Don't Squawk anything in the Amsterdam FIR unless told by Amsterdam Info (124.30) or Dutch Mil (132.35) :=

VOR 'COA' ---> Dordrecht town (or IFR Rep.Pt. ' 'LARAS') (Keeps you clear of Rotterdam Class 'C') Just after passing Midden Zeeland (EHMZ) keep below 1500'.

Dordrecht ---> VOR 'PAM' (117.80)

VOR 'PAM' ---> Texel via one of the Entry Corridors.

It's easier to do than explain. You could, of course, just whizz up the coast - but I haven't done that route so haven't looked at the clearance/radio stuff.
The Texel people are very nice :D - Lovely smooth grass runway (Have a look at their website www.texelairport.nl
Safe flying.

Fuji Abound
14th Jun 2006, 16:09
No, all pretty straight forward. If you route just off the coast you can avoid the transits other than perhaps Ostend which is never a problem.

You may however want to check on Customs clearance at Calais. I thought it had to be pre-booked, which was perhaps your intention in any case. There is no such problem at Ostend but I suspect the fuel might be more expensive.

Of course watch the factory installation at MK - it is a notified danger area.

Flyinganaes
14th Jun 2006, 19:59
Thanks for that. I'll have a look at the routes suggested. I hope to sort out customs in advance but thanks for the tip. Cheers.

Flybywyre
14th Jun 2006, 23:16
The most important thing to do when you get to Texel is the following:
Order the lamb chops for lunch and dinner
You will then realise that the second most important thing to do is to order them again for your breakfast if you are staying the night :)
Regards
FBW

Davidt
15th Jun 2006, 11:09
Route off the coast not above 1500 ft past all the busy bits.

If you ask Ed's lad nicely he'll lend you his truck for the price of a full tank of fuel.

Great place to visit:D

Mark 1
15th Jun 2006, 12:15
Why not forget Calais (rather a dull airfield not near much of interest) and route direct Leicester - Texel?
Much simpler with few height restrictions, and get somewhere nice for lunch.

I know it's a lot of water, but good radio and radar cover and un-crowded airspace - it'd be my choice.

Superpilot
7th Jul 2006, 07:50
Is Texel connected to AFTN?

Also, could somebody advise if it would be better to talk to Dutch Mil or Amsterdam Flight Information? Might do this trip soon.

bookworm
7th Jul 2006, 10:51
Don't Squawk anything in the Amsterdam FIR unless told by Amsterdam Info (124.30) or Dutch Mil (132.35) :=

Not so. It's just under Schiphol TMA 1. Daft rule.

VFR flights in the Amsterdam FIR shall activate their transponder on mode S or mode A and C and select in mode A code 7000 unless otherwise instructed, except below Schiphol TMA 1, where the transponder shall not be activated unless otherwise instructed.

NL AIP online at http://www.ais-netherlands.nl/

Avarell
7th Jul 2006, 19:09
If routed along the coast talk to Amsterdam Information.
FIS areas for Amsterdam Info and Dutch Mil can be found on dutch AIS site as well.

Have a nice trip

Piltdown Man
8th Jul 2006, 00:55
Amsterdam controllers are some of the most flexible operators I have been controlled by. Pick the route you want and ask for it and they'll try to accomodate you - even through the overhead (but not at rush hour)! But may I suggest that you transit up the coast at 1,500'. Saves on all that silly nav stuff and you just pop of the end of the coast into Texel.