PDA

View Full Version : New PPL - Places to fly?

Shunter
9th Jun 2006, 09:02
Hi all

I've just completed my PPL(A) based out of Leeds/Bradford and whilst I'm all brimming over with ambitious ideas of flying off around Europe, I want to do something a little more sensible initially and just consolidate my skills flying within the UK for a while.

I'm basically looking for suggestions of nice places to fly which are within easy reach (by bus, or foot) of a local pub and B&B for a few nights/weekends away with the girlfriend over summer. I'm flying 152's at the moment as they're cheap and that's what I learnt in, but I'm sure I'll progress to a 172/PA28 in due course.

So that's about it really, suggestions welcome!

Droopystop
9th Jun 2006, 09:10
LBA is a great place to start from. I did much flying from Sherburn and my log book is filled with places like Fenland, Barton, Welshpool, Tatenhill, Panshanger, Shobdon and some of the bigger places like Teesside and Newcastle. I am sure others will have more to add to the list. As for B & Bs etc, give the destination a call for advice.

Enjoy your PPL and fly safe.

soay
9th Jun 2006, 09:50
Come to Blackpool International, while it's still GA friendly. Morecambe Bay is fabulous from the air, even if Blackpool town is not to everyone's taste. No shortage of B&Bs.

davidatter708
9th Jun 2006, 10:08
leicester- nice airfield middle of the country good food and interesting chat plus many runway direction:E

englishal
9th Jun 2006, 11:13
Oban in Scotland. Short taxi ride into the town, good B&B's, nice place at this time of year....

Shunter
9th Jun 2006, 12:33
Cheers, that gives me a few places for starters. Especially like the Oban idea as I've been there before and loved it, but it's a bitch of a drive to get up there. I seem to remember there was a load of hoo-hah going on a while back in regard to ownership and operation of the airfield, so I guess that needs checking out.

Also fancy the beach strip at Knotts End at some point :)

Nimrod615
9th Jun 2006, 12:41
Nice to see you want to use your PPL usefully. Well done on getting your licence.

One of my students told me about a book he got for Christmas which he is yet to lend me.

It's called; "101 things to do with your PPL" by Leroy Cook.

Might be worth a look.

cessna l plate
11th Jun 2006, 08:41
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, especially on such a nice day as today is! Caernarfon!!

One of the quietest beaches (apart from the planes on short final but I'm sure you wont mind that) and secluded beaches that I have ever seen. Superb carfe on the airfield, and the scenery both from the air and on the ground is to die for.

And the best bit, from where you are, skirt arond the north of Manchesters airscpace, talk to Liverpool and skirt to the north of them, eventually come to the coast somewhere near Southport. (Beware RAF Woodvale) Turn left and follow the coast, cross the Menai bridge and start talking to CAE. Not a hard nav exercise, but beware that the world and his dog go there on nice days and it can be busy, but well worth it.

No. I'm not a member, just a fan of a great little airfield, and a great airfield manager in Sam.