PDA

View Full Version : PPL Florida - visa etc

JulianS
6th Jun 2006, 16:25
Hi,

I want to do my PPL (JAA) in Florida.
Do I necessarily need an M1 student visa? I am a German citizen, employed with a US company and sometimes travel to the US for business. I could argue that the MAIN purpose of my stay is not the PPL. Does anybody have any experience with this? As the visa process is rather lengthy, I would like to avoid it..

Furthermore, what are your recommendations re the "right" school for a JAA license? So far I know about European Flight Training, Orlando Flight Training (OFT), Ormond Beach (OBA) and Naples.

Thanks in advance!
Julian

Sensible
6th Jun 2006, 17:12
Make no mistake, you must have a J1/M1 visa for PPL or any other flight training. Any FTO who tells you otherwise is not authorised to assist you in obtaining one but is attempting to get hold of your money regardless of the consequences to you! Check your PM's

Edited for gross finger errors!

LH2
6th Jun 2006, 18:50
Alternatively, do your PPL in Spain with a UK-registered outlet. I can recommend Fly In Spain (http://www.fly-in-spain.de/) for that purpose.

Saves you dealing with the visas, costs you about the same, and you end up with a JAA licence FWIW. Plus if you're feeling adventurous, you could hop over to Morocco and/or Portugal during your dual cross-country flying.

Keygrip
7th Jun 2006, 03:34
I attended a seminar that was hosted by Immigration/TSA/FBI etc and they made it clear that provided the PRIMARY PURPOSE of a visa was still being upheld (as per JulianS comment) then flight training may be carried out without any further documentation.

However, some of the FAA flight examiners in the area still do not accept the fact and will not conduct an FAA flight test without seeing a M1 visa - not that this situation involves an FAA examiner.

QTS
8th Jun 2006, 09:32
provided the PRIMARY PURPOSE of a visa was still being upheld (as per JulianS comment) then flight training may be carried out without any further documentation.

Do you know if this is documented anywhere on an official web site?

Keygrip
8th Jun 2006, 11:45
Nope - no idea.

However, it would seem a timely opportunity to remind all, that no matter what visas/approvals/authorities (whatever) anybody holds - it's still at the sole discretion of the immigration guys as to whether he/she/they will allow you to enter the USA - and, if the pilot is subject to FAA flight test, then it's at the sole discretion of the individual examiner as to whether they will conduct the flight test, or not.

The actual visas/qualifications are secondary to the individuals personal choice.

gcolyer
8th Jun 2006, 12:39
You will still need to get TSA and SEEVIS approval. If you are on a J class VISA then you will still need an M1 student VISA or have student entitlement added to your J class.

SEEVIS will want an I-20 form from the Training Provider which must be authorised to sponsor M1 VISA's. In order to get the I-20 you will need to have regsitered with the TSA. In order to have the M1 interview you will need your TSA reciept, I-20 and SEEVIS reciept.

The process takes about 3 months by the time you have waited for reciepts and paper work to be snail mailed to you.

It is all fun and games :)

IO540
8th Jun 2006, 14:08
The problem here is that no matter who tells you what, if the immigration official at the U.S. port of entry doesn't like your face, he will interpret things as he/she wishes.

So, the school has to be in SEVIS, whose list used to appear as a PDF here

http://www.ice.gov/graphics/sevis/pdf/ApprovedSchools.pdf

but is offline now for some reason. It can then issue an I-20, and then you apply for an M-1 visa. That's what the immigration orangutan will be looking for.

Keygrip
8th Jun 2006, 18:07
....but also to remind ourselves - In JulianS's case (first post) the Immigration OrangUtan won't be looking for SEVIS I-20's, as JulianS can (and does) enter the USA by other, quite legitimate, means.

gcolyer
8th Jun 2006, 22:02
Keygrip, true...

But the school would be in the wrong should it commence training without the relevant paperwork and it courd all turn nasty should the the FAA, TSA, SEVIS or Immigration decide they want to check student paperwork. I would also imagine the likes of NSA and other bodies know who is going to flying school. PLus i am sure the JAA would certainly ask questions should the sh*t hit the fan.

Bets bet is to speak to the FTO and see what they say. As far as i know flight training in the US requires an M1 unless it is a type rating under the offer of employment in which case a J class VISA will cover it.

Keygrip
9th Jun 2006, 14:10
Actually, I would suggest that the SCHOOL is the last one to ask for this sort of information, as they'll likely just tell you that they are approved for every course in the World, and have every bit of paper known to man.

Not many of them care about the truth - they just want you to enrol with them and not their competitors.