PDA

View Full Version : RVSM_Europe

Itswindyout
5th Jun 2006, 10:50
I am being asked to ferry a high performance corporate jet from CH to US, and have not yet received RVSM/MNPS approval.

The question is, will I be able to obtain climb in Europe, directly to my crossing / cruising level of 430 or above.

I know I can cruise the pond at these levels that are above RVSM/ MNPS.

Many thanks, from a brain dead old fart....

Windy

PPRuNe Radar
5th Jun 2006, 13:03
From the EUR-RVSM site:

It is not possible for non-RVSM approved civil aircraft to obtain an exemption from the RVSM approval requirement. Flights of non-approved aircraft intending to cross the EUR RVSM area will be required to flight plan for operation above or below RVSM airspace. Climb and descent through EUR RVSM airspace by non-RVSM approved civil aircraft is only permitted in Flight Information Regions (FIRs) /Upper Flight Information Regions (UIRs) which have airspace designated as RVSM Transition Airspace.

Transition Airspace can be found on this map (http://www.ecacnav.com/downloads/RVSM%20Airspace%20(Print).pdf).

So you should get climb in either French, UK, or Irish airspace, depending on your route and the traffic situation.

The 'APPROVED' referred to in SATCOs post is directly linked to the RVSM part of the equation (i.e. you are either 'RVSM Approved' or 'Non RVSM Approved') so don't get confused by this. You don't require approval to be a 'non RVSM approved' aircraft. :ok:

Itswindyout
5th Jun 2006, 15:00
thank you confirming my thoughts..

So I depart CH and climb in Frence airspace to normal level above RVSM cruise, and all is well.

I accept the problems regarding an emergency drift down over the pond, but that is the penalty of non RVSM above the levels.

Again many thanks.

Windy

PPRuNe Radar
5th Jun 2006, 22:22
You can expect climb if the French can facilitate it ..... but it will really depend if their airspace is busy or not. You might be held down for a while if you are flying through airspace which is heavilly used by RVSM traffic. You will get climb eventually though ... as soon as it can be done safely.