PDA

View Full Version : Debenair Florida

BroomstickPilot
2nd Jun 2006, 11:42
I'm thinking of doing a full FAA PPL. (I don't want the piggy-back one).

A friend recommended Debenair after doing her own CPL+IR training there a few years ago (in the days when they did JAA licences).

Has anyone please used Debenair recently, or does anyone have recent knowledge of this Company?

Many thanks in advance for any information provided.

Broomstick.

Henry Hallam
2nd Jun 2006, 14:54
I did my FAA PPL there last September. Highly recommended - very friendly operation run by a nice British lady called Annette. She won't rip you off, was clear up-front about the costs of flying, accomodation etc.
I thought the instruction was of high quality and I got on well with my instructors Melanie and Ken, say hi from me if you go!
I particularly enjoyed the location of the airfield, right next to the Space Center so you can easily see the VAB and the Shuttle on the pad from the circuit.
About the only minor downside to my experience there was a problem with aircraft availability for a week or so, several of the 152s happened to be in for their 50hr checks at the same time and the checks did drag on a bit. But they still managed to fit me in and I expect that is a rare occurence.
The FAA private ticket took me 5 weeks, completely ab-initio, and one of those weeks was lost to Hurricane Ophelia. Of course if you already have a JAA licence I'm sure the training would take much less time.

Florida mud wrestler
2nd Jun 2006, 21:12
I did hear a rumour that they had abandoned training and were now just renting out aircraft for hourbuilding! Best to check and find out first. If in doubt, PM "Keygrip" who I'm sure will know what the current situation is at Bebenair and advise accordingly!