PDA

View Full Version : Accommodation / Training

kirstygolf
29th May 2006, 16:26
Hello!
I'm waiting for my results from the interview & to be honest I don't feel very hopeful- especially due to the computer based tests :{ :confused: :eek:.

I am just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat out there who may need cheap accommodation and would be looking to share a small flat should we get through to the training. I'm thinking of 4-6 people sharing all bills. Please e-mail me at [email protected] to chat about NATS and accommodation.

Hope to see you later!
:)

PS
I was asked by another member for some information regarding the selection day so I thought I would post it here too for anybody to see in case it helps.

You will first of all be split into groups and given a timetable of your day. Each group will of course sit a different part of the selection process at any one time.

You will probably have a talk presented by one or two ATCOs. I did not get this as none were available.

The hardest part of the day is a series of question papers. The easiest if you have studied the downloadable PDF by far is the motivation paper. You will be asked factual questions about the PDF and also I got some distance questions such as what is the distance between London and Brussels. You will also get a few problem solving questions such as if aircraft A is at flight level X and aircraft B is at flight level X and they are travelling at Z speed directly towards each other how many minutes until they collide? Remember your SDT triangle from school and you will be fine.

You will also get a series of aptitude papers. One is measuring spatial awareness. Search the 'net for such tests. I got a series of questions with example flattened cubes and then had to choose which (if any) 3-D cubes were possible from that pattern. Each side of the cube has different patterns and they get progressively more complex as they turn the cubes upside down.

You will get a paper on logic and diagramming. You will be given a set of symbols to look at as the "key" to solving the problems. For example one symbol will mean reverse the entire sequence, one will ask you to cancel the previous instruction, one will ask you to ignore the next instruction etc. You will be given a string of symbols and then you will use whichever instructions given to choose the correct resulting string of symbols.

You will be given arithmetic also. These get progressively harder and I recommend you practice your mental arithmetic, long division to decimal places, percentages and multiplying and dividing fractions (remember to divide a fraction you turn one upside down and then multiply them).

For all papers you are given multiple choice answers and when necessary you are given a piece of paper to work things out.

Another section of the day is a set of personality questionnaires. You will be asked the same questions many times in different formats and will be asked to srtongly agree, agree, have no opinion, disagree or strongly disagree. Another paper will ask a little differently ie it may not have the option to have no opinion. Be honest as the results will be fed into a computer and will come up with any inconsistencies. Also remember to look at the statements carefully. It may not be suggesting what it at first seems to be! It will also ask the same questions in reverse to see if you strongly agree with something stated in the positive and then strongly disagree with it when it is stated in the negative. You will not know the results of these papers until the interview stage.

There is also a paper about your learning style.

You then need to wait up to 15 working days which is 3 weeks.

Practice! I found a really good book on aptitude tests "How to win at aptitude tests". I have misplaced it for the moment but just the title should allow you to order it at WHSmith.

I found an great study method was to copy and paste the PDF to another document and then I inserted blanks where all the important words and numbers were. I then read it to myself trying to put the words and numbers back in mentally and noting down any I got wrong while I constantly compared the information.

You will probably have a couple of questions about the aircraft at the back too.

Good luck!
:)

skinnygav
31st May 2006, 13:45
hi kirstygolf, i have my assesment day in about 8 days.

i have a word document for the motivation paper - is this right?

also were people dressed formally for the day or is it a casual thing?

Kirk Biddlecombe
31st May 2006, 15:30
Are you talking about the first stage of the selection process? If so then you're fine.
Because in stage 2, NATS send you a PDF file.

Kirk

Edit: You can go dressed as you wish, although everyone on my day was wearing formal clothes!

kirstygolf
31st May 2006, 17:50
Oh my on my assessment the room was filled with very tall men who looked like they were going to a funeral! I had a suit on but had just rolled out of a B&B with a backpack on and I felt really scruffy next to them (and very very small!) but nobody from NATS was there to see, just the SHL mob.

:O