PDA

View Full Version : Best airfield for Worcester

stuartforrest
25th May 2006, 13:08
I have to go to a meeting at Worcester next week and am flying in from Glasgow. Can a ppruner please tell me the best airfield to go into that will allow the quickest transfer by taxi.

The plane is a Bonanza so 700 metres or more is ideal.

25th May 2006, 14:03
I grew up there and never knew of any airports in Worcestershire. Don't take my word for it, I could be wrong but I searched all over the web out of interest - and came up with nothing. Bromsgrove and Droitwich, both just a short drive away, popped up on pages but can't find any more info so I presume they must be long forgotten GA or military airfields.

If you've not been before, you'll see it's a pretty place, but there's not really much around Worcs. or Herefordshire!

From memory, the nearest place I ever knew of was Staverton in Gloucestershire, approx. 45 mins drive away and close to Cheltenham. Taxi from there could be pricey but for ease of getting to Worcester, I'd say it'd be the best.

Other 'near' airfields (note inv. commas) would be Wolverhampton or Alcester, Warks., close to Stratford on Avon. Have supplied some URLS but I suspect they're not quite as close as you might've liked.

As a kid I also did some gliding at Cotswold Gliding Club at Aston Down (aka Mininchampton I believe) in Gloucs. but don't think it served GA. You could enquire though.

Good luck. :ok:

http://www.gloucestershireairport.co.uk/index.htm
http://www.gloucestershireairport.co.uk/chart.pdf
http://www.wolverhamptonairport.co.uk/TIA.pdf
http://www.southwarwickshireflyingschool.com/home.htm
http://www.cotswoldgliding.co.uk/

airborne_artist
25th May 2006, 14:15
http://www.defford-croftfarm.co.uk/airfield.htm - 12 miles SSE of Worcester, 09/27 570x18 Metres Grass

25th May 2006, 14:33
Good call aa. By far the closest, assuming less than 600m and no fuel available is acceptable. Otherwise alternates listed on their website looks like what I've already suggested. BTW, where is your meeting?

360BakTrak
25th May 2006, 16:05
There is also a private strip called Droitwich which is about 8nm north east of Worcester, right on the M5 (its on the half mill map). Its privately owned and I think its about 800 metres IIRC. PM me if you want me to find out some more details and I can talk to the owner too. (Don't know how keen he is about unfamilier pilots flying in as its his back garden effectively!)

helicopter-redeye
25th May 2006, 20:10
Droitwich is quite small (I flew over it as an aiming point about 8 wks ago).

Wellesbourne not so far away. You could always try and set up with one of the heli people there to see if they would drop you in Worcester on the way out, 'just for something to do'.

Taxi wise, no so far to drive if you set up the limo in advance.

h-r;)

Mark 1
25th May 2006, 20:30
Bidford is pretty close too and has Avgas and a good clubhouse/cafe/bar.

Pershore would be handy.......

1d2d3d4d
25th May 2006, 21:06
Worcestershire dosn't have a licenced airfield.

The quickest would be Gloucester airport as it's only 26 miles and motorway all the way. According to my flight guide it's possible to hire a car from National there.

I live in Worcester and travel to Wellesbourne for my flying!

Regards Chris

360BakTrak
25th May 2006, 23:50
Droitwich may be small but a Piper Lance used to be based there and a Cherokee Arrow 4 until recently so I suspect a Bonanza wouldn't be too much of a problem (weight & balance permitting!)

BlueRobin
26th May 2006, 08:44
Wellesbourne is miles away from Worcester! 23 miles as the crow flies.

GK430
26th May 2006, 11:24
Droitwich - often made an approach in their and yes, the owner had a Lance. But....it has been raining persistently around Worcs and will continue to do so over the coming days. I wouldn't pick a grass strip in the county for a while:=

Gloucester is your only real option in terms of road connections and they are straightforward. Taxi into Chelt and train? Business aquaintance to pick you up?

Wouldn't it be nice to see Pershore operational - the runways still look great:D

Stuart - which day? Am due to drive from W to EGBP one afternoon about 16.30 local

Windy Militant
26th May 2006, 12:54
Don't forget Shobdon 17miles (by road) acording to my GPS.

gijoe
26th May 2006, 13:45
As someone who lived in Malvern for 2 years and flew Bidford nearly every weekend during the Summer, Bidford is my vote. The taxi will be about 25 mins ride.

G

matspart3
26th May 2006, 14:11
Phone the lovely reception girls at Gloucester on 01452 857700 x 223 and they'll sort you out with a taxi or hire car.

6 hard runways, navaids & radar and 2 minutes from the motorway. You'll get a discounted landing fee when you pick up fuel.

Croft Farm is closer, but I'm led to believe it's a bit soggy at the moment - we've had rain of Scottish proportions for the last few weeks, furthermore, a taxi driver will never find it.

GK430
26th May 2006, 14:51
Have to agree with Mats. I went to Croft farm on Wed p.m. by road (been a few times before), and always miss the entrance - the locals don't signpost it which is not necessarily a bad thing.

http://www.wibbleweather.com/deffordairstrip.htm - but just in case you want to try!

Windy - you have an unreliable GPS unless they straightened the roads out to Shobdon - it was 30+ miles from the west of Worcester and get stuck behind a sugar beet tractor and I leave the rest to your imagination!! (Or a Bengry's truck):ugh:

At least the Met Office reckon some high pressure looming by some time next week:)
MATS is right, the Ladies on Reception at EGBJ.....:ok:

1d2d3d4d
26th May 2006, 16:36
If you draw a circle on your southern chart at about 22nm radius centred on Worcester you will find Wolverhampton, almost due north, Gloucester, almost due south, Wellesbourne, almost due east and Shobdon almost due west.

The road link to Worcester is without doubt easiest from Gloucester, 25-30mins and then Wellesbourne 40-50mins by car. The road from Shobden has more twists and turns than an Agatha Christie novel and as GK430 says get stuck behind a welsh sports car (beet lorry or tractor) it will take over an hour at best and more if you have to cross the river (Severn). The best route and time from Wolverhamton I am not sure but I would think at least an hour.

Regards Chris

BigDan
26th May 2006, 20:57
The best route and time from Wolverhamton I am not sure but I would think at least an hour.

I'm in Kidderminster, smack bang in between Wolverhampton (egbo) and worcester. You're looking at 20-25mins to Kiddy, same again into Worcester (dependant on which bit of the city you're heading for). Routewise, it's straight enough to get out to the A449, then that runs through Kiddy all the way to Worcs.

HTH, Dan

BTW. I would have thought it would be easier to get there from Gloucs. than Wolves.

Humaround
26th May 2006, 21:21
I flew out of and into Croft farm Defford yesterday (our Emeraude lives there) and it is indeed a bit soggy at present, but possible. It felt a bit like a floatplane. We needed a good wash afterwards. You could and should talk to Clive Porter, the owner, who flies a Rheims Cessna and would be able to advise about heavier aircraft movements. (01386 750400 - it's published in Lockyears).
we're having our Open Day on 10th June - 80 aircraft expected. Hope it dries up a bit.

best

david