PDA

View Full Version : IR or not

debiassi
24th May 2006, 08:20
Can anyone help? I have ppl plus imc and night. I have about 280 hours in the uk and europe so feel fairly confident. My Pa28r arrow is ifr certified and also has skymap 3 and garmin 430 coupled to HSI and autopilot. I am trying to work out the differences or the value of adding an instrument rating and if so which route to go down faa jar etc??? Why does one appear to be so much cheaper and easier to attain? And what are the real benefits over and above my current capabilities. Isnt it true that you can stil file ifr without an instrument rating? Confused!!!!!

DRJAD
24th May 2006, 09:29
Basic reply from someone similarly qualified and experienced as you, though a hirer rather than owner of decently equipped aircraft.

I would go for an IR like a shot if I had the money. Access to Class A being desirable for the type of flying I would like the authorisation to undertake.

I also have the feeling, though stand to be corrected, that that access to class A essentially confers some additional safety, particularly in the UK, where standard routings could be used rather than trying potentially in IMC to find places to squeeze between Class A and MSA.

DFC
24th May 2006, 09:31
Isnt it true that you can stil file ifr without an instrument rating?

That is only the case in the UK and even in the UK you can only do it while remaining in class G airspace in VMC unless you have an IMC rating.

Elsewhere in general filing IFR means that you will fly IFR and comply with all associated requirements and procedures. ATC will take it that you will not object to being vectored into cloud (unless icing conditions) or into class A because it is taken that people filing IFR have a valid IR.

What the IR will give you is the ability to fly IFR outside the UK and remove the ban from flying in UK class A CTAs/Airways.

Which IR is easier to obtain means very little. What matters is that at the end, you can demonstrate the ability to safely complete an IFR flight in Europe without causing mayhem or relying on luck to get you through.

There is really little difference in cost terms when looking at the overall picture (including future developments).

Regards,

DFC

Keygrip
24th May 2006, 12:01
My Pa28r arrow is ifr certified and also has skymap 3 and garmin 430 coupled to HSI and autopilot.

Is it also de/anti ice equipped?