PDA

View Full Version : question

ILOVEMCO
19th May 2006, 17:02
i have a question for any ATCO and i hope you dont take it the wrong way but i was wondering do ATCO get travel perks from airlines or travel companys after all NATS is partally owned by a group of airlines including BA and VS

soontobeATCO
19th May 2006, 17:20
Ive also been wondering this? Also for controllers at Eurocontrol?

spekesoftly
19th May 2006, 17:32
AFAIK, UK ATCOs (NATS employed or other) do not normally get travel perks as a direct consequence of their employment. However, they are eligible to join a Guild, and/or a travel association (for which they pay an annual subscription) through which discount air fares, and other benefits, are available.

PPRuNe Radar
19th May 2006, 18:07
All NATS staff are eligible for concessionary travel and deals through a NATS Travel Club. It's not the same as having an interline concession such as some airline staff might have, but it does at least offer some 'perks' through certain airlines, holiday companies, hotel chains, etc. See Touchdown World Travel Services for some examples of what is on offer.

Additionally, ATCOs can join UKATTS and/or GATCO which offer further industry 'deals'.

niknak
19th May 2006, 18:19
I am a member of UKATTS, I've done really well in the past thanks to the generosity of discounts from various airlines.
But now I have a family in tow I have to pick and choose which offers to take, as most are "standby seats" whereby you only get on if there are seats to spare. If the flight operates several times a day its not so bad, if it's only once a week it can be a problem. Additionally, certain flights to certain destinations are embargoed at specific times of year.

That said, there are many deals to be had via several tour operators, so overall, we do very well.

foghorn
20th May 2006, 09:24
However, UKATTS perks are less generous from BA than they are from most other overseas airlines. You'd almost think they didn't want to be number one :E :} :ok:

Number2
20th May 2006, 11:33
I've done very well out of BA in the past. I paid significantly less for my World Traveller Plus ticket than those around me and have been upgraded on numerous occasions.

Lon More
20th May 2006, 17:41
Eurocontrol gets some perks, mainly with tour operators (e.g. LTU) Not much with rhemajors. In these days of Low Cost airlines it's not such a big perk as it was.
Personally I made more use of the car hire facilities

Scott Voigt
20th May 2006, 21:33
In the US we get nothing, other than scorn from the airlines with calls of needing to be privitized... No perks at all... You have to be in politics for that <G>...

Married a Canadian
21st May 2006, 00:46
Nowt in Canada either which is a real shame.

Supposedly the airlines think it is a conflict of interest! Ho hum.

Funny also that with UKATTS we get discounts with nearly all carriers except the US ones and Air Canada. I think it is as Scott says...we are scum to them....and are lucky to pay full fare!

atc4ever
21st May 2006, 11:12
hi!!
im a french atco..here we get 6 flights per year with about 30 to 70% off the ticket actual price ,you have 3 with rexervation and 3 no reservation possible..its called "gp" as "gratuit partiellement" ie partially free..
you can only use those on flights with airfrance and members of skyteam
not really easy to use ..you have to order those through an air france agency..
thats why im never use mines..because on short haul flights air france youngsters prices are sometimes more intreressting!!but apparently some of my colleagues do and enjoy it..
if u got for the non resernation way,you better consultate the frequentation of the flights at the time period you want to go,if not you stay sometimes stuck at airports waiting and waiting for a free seat...
hope i answer your question...
we dont get them to give advantage to the national compagny;but because we are civil servants..
xx bye cam