PDA

View Full Version : Harrier Carrier Currency

JOCS Helpdesk
17th May 2006, 14:40
Bit of a discrepancy between STC and FLEET estimates over the minimum requirement (on board) to maintain currency for Harrier/CVS operations:

STC say 10 days.
FLEET say 25 weeks.

Discuss!

JOCS Helpdesk
17th May 2006, 15:10
How about you DISCUSS! it first?

What is your opinion??

I'm not a Harrier mate and know nothing of the rules governing 'on-board' currency. What I am perplexed about is the huge discrepancy between the two quoted periods.

Two questions arise:

Is it difficult and therefore requires constant and lengthy periods of practice (and thus STC have got it wildly wrong)?

Or is it just that the RN wants everyone to be at sea for as long as possible because they (themselves) have to?

Would you like to discuss that?

Lockstock
17th May 2006, 15:23
Well, I'm not a Harrier mate either but have seen the RN at work; they seem to work to longer timescales than their light blue counterparts.

I think your 2nd explanation is nearer the true reason; 25 weeks is a bit much though!

ZH875
17th May 2006, 15:41
10 Days is not enough time for everyone to take their turn in the Barrel:eek:

The Helpful Stacker
17th May 2006, 16:22

Rum, buggery and the lash, cornerstones of any happy ship apparently.

orca
17th May 2006, 20:27
Simple really old chap.

Crab stat is probably based on "strap harrier to one's backside, land on CVS, re-fuel, launch, land at Cottesmore, retire to bar CVS current for next 12 months".

RN stat is just as likely based on "figure plucked from thin air moulded by educated estimation to produce CVS capability for HMG with all parts tested in all roles from head to toe".

Two worlds colliding, 180 by zip, at just over the speed of heat.

SSSETOWTF
18th May 2006, 17:43
Orca,

What you say may have an element of truth, but it cuts both ways. GR7/9 pilots spend almost an entire winter season getting 'Night Combat Ready'. The SHar sqn I encountered threw a flare pack off the back of the boat one night, all took off and dropped 4 unscored bombs at it, landed, and came swanning into the bar on 5 deck bragging of their new 'Night Combat Ready' status....

In my opinion:

There's nothing particularly special about landing on a boat in daylight - it's easier than landing on a mexe pad. Granted, night landings are a different kettle of fish.

All a GR7/9 mate needs is a couple of sorties to figure out all the various oddities of deck handling, charlie times etc and there isn't much more to it.

It certainly isn't necessary to practice bobbing up and down for 25 weeks just to establish that life on board a boat is fundamentally mind-numbingly boring and that once you've done a bit of ACM and bombed the splash target, there's not a whole lot else to do unless there's a war/exercise on.

I would venture to say that the captain of an aircraft carrier gets a bit sad and depressed looking out at his shiney flight deck when it doesn't have any jets / helos on it. He probably needs things to play with to keep all his people current / interested. Hence the RN requirement.

Regards,
Single Seat, Single Engine, The Only Way To Fly

orca
18th May 2006, 21:11
Couldn't agree more old chap - it's a floating mexe pad, and it's alot bigger than vigo wood. the whole piching and rolling thing is defeatable as well.

My point had nothing to do with what the SHAR considered to be night current either - i speak not of the Fleet air Arm but the Maritime Strike capability.

Whether we need it or not is another argument. But if we want to tell MPs that we have a carrier ready to go that means getting the whole ship working to recover and throw off jets. That means the MCO getting the ATO, the stokers getting the donks up to ramming speed, the briefo's being ready on time, the tractor drivers getting the strike ready at the back having seen them all taxy into the grave yard......

So there you go...there's the delta. I'm not saying anyone's right or anyone's wrong. But one camp is talking about being CVS current and the other is talking about a current CVS.

stinger779
18th May 2006, 22:51

at least someone has heard my favourite joke,about turn they took there turn in it:)

Widger
19th May 2006, 11:16
SSEEEEETTOOFFTFTF, I think you do the GR7 boys an injustice. Flying to a deck is not easier than to a mexepad. A mexipad does not pitch up and down or roll from side to side, a mexepad does not suddenly alter course when the Bosun's Mate leans on the wheel when chatting up the Wren stood next to him. If you cock up a mexipad landing you can land somewhere else on the runway, If you cock up a landing on a deck, you have very limited fuel and power options to have another go at it. In poor weather, finding the ship is bad enough. Ever stood looking over the edge of a ramp? Ever launched yourself up the deck in the dark and into the bleak Atlantic Sky, with nothing but water below you? Ever sat in a cockpit hanging over the edge of the deck, relying on that guy in the yellow vest to stop you in time, before you and the jet topples over the edge? Ever been spooked sat lashed on deck, when you feel the whole aircraft move as the ship turns? (Chinnook 1987!). I agree with previous posts that 25 weeks is probably incorrect or a typo, but 10 days is the bare minimum to maintain the skills required to operate off a deck. It is not just about being a monkey on a stick, it is about the whole ship's team also training and getting used to handling sometimes up to 17 jets in a limited space without killing anyone or damaging anything. It takes at least 10 days to build up the trust between crew and aircrew so that when the s**t hits the fan, you know that you can rely on the guy/girl on the deck or that voice on the radio.Those who fly from ships, RN, Marine, Army or RAF have my utmost respect gained from watching many of them over the last 20 years, put their faith in the equipment and team around them.

SSSETOWTF
19th May 2006, 18:06
Widger,

"Ever stood looking over the edge of a ramp?" - Yep. Spent 8 weeks flying off the good ship Lusty

"Ever launched yourself up the deck in the dark and into the bleak Atlantic Sky, with nothing but water below you?" - Nope, not the Atlantic, but I have in the Pacific & Persian Gulf Skies.

"Ever sat in a cockpit hanging over the edge of the deck, relying on that guy in the yellow vest to stop you in time, before you and the jet topples over the edge? Ever been spooked sat lashed on deck, when you feel the whole aircraft move as the ship turns?" - Yep. Operated off LHD-6, USS Bonhomme Richard, for 7 1/2 months.

You're right that ships do move around a bit, but personally I find the scan in the hover alongside a big superstructure (in the day), to be easier than trying to find some festering marker boards (on a UK mexe) or having to look over the side of the jet at 70' to make sure you're over an un-marked USMC pad. But, as with all thing, ask 2 Harrier pilots, you'll get 2 different answers.

I wholeheartedly agree with both you and Orca though, that it takes a lot of work to get the boys and girls who operate the ship, from the stokers to the deck handlers, up to speed and working as a fully integrated team. So I would suggest that the RN requirement is somewhat driven from that side of things rather than what the pilot has to do/practise.

At the end of the day, I don't believe that the 'crabs' have ever taken the T-10 to sea. We all just figure it out as we go, and, so far, it hasn't proven to be too tricky (in daylight ...). Maybe that's because we're a little more conservative with our limits than the SHar boys - but that could probably lead to another thread.

Regards,
Single Seat, Single Engine, The Only Way To Fly

herbie30003
20th May 2006, 20:51
SSS you touch some areas but as someone who has over 400DLs the reason why it takes longer is familiarity with the deck by day for both pilot and deck crew. The more familiar you are by day in all weather conditions, the easier it gets by night, therefore, the reason for the length is to groom for night flying. Just ask those who witnessed a GR land in the water not long after arriving after being told to take it gradually. We have years of experience at this, we dont tell the Light Blue how to take off from the field or strips. There is a fine balance on the timing but usually any Navy pilot throughout the world will take at least a couple of months and will have achieved a fair number of DLs. 10 is way too few, however, there would be endless debate on what is the correct number. As an aside all the comments about sitting about bored of comabt etc etc..I think you will see a change of ideas on how the ship/ jets interact..ie the ship goes where the jets need to just as it should be. The future looks very bright and the CVS is just one of many things a busy force has to deal with.

stickmonkeytamer
21st May 2006, 07:40
SSSETOFTW- a T10 cannot be taken on to to hovering limitations- the new T12 will come out to play, but carrier deck landings are just like a large pitching moving MEXE pad with a moat around it. Training pre-CVS takes a large chunck of the problem away- as does the sim so that we all know what to expect. If you are good enough, you are good enough...:)

WE Branch Fanatic
21st May 2006, 12:04
Widger

It is not just about being a monkey on a stick, it is about the whole ship's team also training and getting used to handling sometimes up to 17 jets in a limited space without killing anyone or damaging anything. It takes at least 10 days to build up the trust between crew and aircrew so that when the s**t hits the fan, you know that you can rely on the guy/girl on the deck or that voice on the radio.

How often will we have 16 or 17 jets aboard a CVS now that the Sea Harrier has gone? Apart from the OCA and DCA issues (as discussed on the Sea Jet (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=98152) thread) the number of aircraft within JFH is reduced by about a third, in addition commitments in Afghanistann and elsewhere continue and training is cuts, flying hours reduced, etc.

Are we going to see skill fade in the next few years, at the time when the expertise relating to fixed wing carrier operations needs to be maintained and increased in preparation for CVF?

NigelOnDraft
21st May 2006, 22:19
stickmonkeytamer a T10 cannot be taken on to to hovering limitations- the new T12 will come out to playInterested in this... could you please expand on the diff(s) between the 2 that allows the T12 to operate on/off ship...
TIA
NoD

stickmonkeytamer
22nd May 2006, 19:07
Engines- stronger puff from the new engine. Still no radar though- we'll have to follow the valley right to the end to find the CVS... :ok:

NigelOnDraft
22nd May 2006, 19:54
Engines- stronger puff from the new engineReally :confused: The RAF (and I :hmm: ) seem to think the T12 has the same motor http://www.armedforces.co.uk/raf/listings/l0009.html

LateArmLive
23rd May 2006, 08:53
WEBF

I don't think you'll see any skill fade regarding operating Harriers from the CVS, especially as 800NAS are out on a 2 month deployment as we speak. That's plenty time to get everyone more than qualified (pilots, eng and the rest) on flying and fighting from the deck.
I think 16 or 17 jets on the boat, even with the FA2, is a fairytale scenario. There really isn't room, especially when you need hangar space for maintenance and have baggers, pingers and all the rest of the strike group on board.
Cheers :)

Strictly Jungly
23rd May 2006, 09:49

You speak from experience????

What a positive addition to this thread from a typical (Un) Helpful REMF!:ooh:

Kitbag
23rd May 2006, 10:15
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Helpful Stacker

You speak from experience????

What a positive addition to this thread from a typical (Un) Helpful REMF!:ooh:

Well it is a rumour network!

orca
23rd May 2006, 12:23
I seem to remember that we did a sixteen ship launch to finish off Northern Lights 03.

Admittedly 800 were augmenting 801, and we had a full GR unit embarked.

As I remember it was pretty impressive - but the check in was an absolute disaster!

WhiteOvies
23rd May 2006, 15:43
Can confirm Orca's dit. Vrey impressive it was too with GRs using about half the runup required for the SHAR. Had a mixi-blob FAA and 3(F) Sqn IIRC. The co-ordination on the deck was a bit tricky but the handlers know their job and did it very well. Will try to find phots from mates as I was a bit busy at the time!

Strictly Jungly
23rd May 2006, 17:48
Can confirm Orca's dit. Vrey impressive it was too with GRs using about half the runup required for the SHAR. Had a mixi-blob FAA and 3(F) Sqn IIRC. The co-ordination on the deck was a bit tricky but the handlers know their job and did it very well. Will try to find phots from mates as I was a bit busy at the time!

Never managed that many in LUSTY in 2000, when we had 3 Sqn embarked, their jets were very impressive and a good bunch of lads too.

WhiteOvies
24th May 2006, 09:55
I think the idea was to prove a point, or set a record or something. Maybe it just gave Wings a hard-on?:}
3(F) were a good bunch but felt sorry for the two Jengess' who were run ragged learning the deck. Their Squinto was the greenest person I have ever seen in roughers, barely made it out of his pit the whole time:hmm:

vincehomer
24th May 2006, 18:07
This is the picture you are after shippers. Count them....16 on deck, one was already airborne. They all got airborne within 12 mins.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/sarahpete/vince0012.jpg
And just to prove Joint Force Harrier is nothing new... here is one from 1987 with 12 jets on deck (one behind the island) 800/801 and 3 Sqns.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/sarahpete/Ark0011.jpg
Mods sorry about the size of the phots!:ok: :ok: