PDA

View Full Version : IFR Departure - Question

sonicstomp
16th May 2006, 10:22
Hi Guys,

Question primarily aimed at military controllers (but interested in the civvy angle) -

When departing IFR is it still correct RT to state "Ready for departure and climb". I seem to remember this was correct RT iaw the old JSP398A, but I cannot find it in JSP 552. Has it been dropped from usage?

I believe in the civil world, "Ready for departure" is adequate in all cases.

Dizzee Rascal
16th May 2006, 10:53
Speaking as a Civilian ATCO, ready for departure is the correct r/t. CAP413 refers, and can be found here http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP413.PDF

In the civil world we usually expect you to be ready for climb at a similar time to being ready for departure, you tend to get a lot of grass stains otherwise!

Don't know how the Military do it. (and don't want to either!!)

anotherthing
16th May 2006, 11:14
Only ever used 'ready for departure' in my time in the Mil - but I did not work on Fat Alberts or other such types - but would think it would be the same call for them.

'Ready for departure' should mean that the captain is ready to proceed in accordance with the filed plan IMHO

happ1ness
16th May 2006, 11:43
Ready for Departure is all that is required. A good look at CAP413 is what's required. Watch out for the word immediate worth reading that part of the CAP. Watch out for the land after procedure recently put in is this condition."the preceding landing aircraft is not required to backtrack in order to vacate the runway;" Chapter 4 page 11.

Hope this helps and gets the grey matter working!:)

Don't know how it still works in the Mil but never had any mil aircraft using "and climb at any civvy airfield I've worked at.

sonicstomp
16th May 2006, 17:06
Thanks guys - on closer reading of JSP 552, "ready for departure" is sufficient in all cases (even if a radar service is reqd on climb-out)....

I spoke to a few other pilots and my SATCO - "ready for departure and climb" certainly used to be correct, but without access to the old JSP cannot verify where it came from. Indeed SATCO thought it was still in usage :-)

Will look through the CAP in more detail, JSP 552 remains our bible though and I am sure there will be many discrepencies between the two.