PDA

View Full Version : Beach Landings

ContinentalC85
15th May 2006, 15:41
Apart from Barra , is there anywhere else in the UK where a (safe) beach landing can be made in the UK
Havn't got a map to hand , but I seem to remember seeing on or two microlight symbols on the coast in the NW ...

foxmoth
15th May 2006, 16:09
The beach at Southport used to be used for Pleasure flying but I think that is in the past now.

McFunkletrumpet
15th May 2006, 16:33
Southport is definitely a no-go. However NorthWest strut of the PFA go to Pilling Sands near Fleetwood for a fly-in. Infact I think you may have just missed it.
Check out www.pfanwstrut.flyer.co.uk

McF

Barshifter
15th May 2006, 16:43
McFunkletrumpet
Pilling Sands is a great place,I was there a fortnight ago.Theres a Cafe close to the beech aswell at Knott End.Popular with microlights aswell as Grp A stuff.
Regards
Barshifter

Shaggy Sheep Driver
15th May 2006, 16:54
Left base for the beach at Knott end.....

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/GZK6NK/LbaseforKnottEndVSCflyingGO.jpg

SSD

ContinentalC85
15th May 2006, 19:22
Thats just the way I was plannning to head later this month
( Canaerfon / Blackpool/Gigha ) with my son
Thanks for the tip . I may give ne NW strut a call and aks them aboy Pilling Sands

Flap40
15th May 2006, 19:26
There is also Sollas. 015 degrees 11nm from Benbecula.

ContinentalC85
15th May 2006, 19:38
Barshifter

Can one land at ( almost) any time ( assume the tide needs to be out ! )
Do you need PPR? Any idea who to contact if this is the case
ps would be in a Luscombe

Barshifter
15th May 2006, 20:09
ContinentalC85
Im 95% sure you can land when you wish.The local flyers around there just land whenever.I flew over from St Michaels and I did ask there about PPR and was told that I didnt need it.They said as long as you decend out over the sand rather than over any of the houses you would be ok.When I was there, there were a few different types on the sand Grp A/Microlight.
Im fairly sure if the tide is out you will be ok!
Regards
Barshifter

Spitoon
15th May 2006, 21:05
I seem to remember an Islander putting down on Southport Sands (fuel exhaustion??) and then being damaged both by the tides and attempts to drag it out of the mud. Is this what did for Southport?

Microfright
18th May 2006, 08:43
I fly from Rossall Field (was called Tarn Farm) which is a couple of miles from Pilling Sands. Generally there is always beach avaliable to land (high or low tide) when the high tide is below 8m.
There also can be beach at other times during the low tide, especially during the summer months when the beach is more likely to dry out.
It can be difficult somtimes to judge your height when flaring to land on the beach as there are very few visual references to gauge your height.
M

McFunkletrumpet
18th May 2006, 14:09
No it wasn't the Islander episode that did it for Southport. For those who may remember Southport used to boast "miles of golden sands".
Not any more. The beach is more like a field now. A disgrace really.