PDA

View Full Version : PPL Revalidation

Lister Noble
15th May 2006, 12:10
I feel a bit stupid posting this so soon after the written exams,I have read the Aviation Law book but am a bit confused, I have searched the forum but cannot find the thread,and will not see my CFI until Friday.
Once I have my JAR-PPL licence, this is how I see maintaining my validation of licence, but is it correct?
The pilot licence last 24 months,and of course I need a medical every 12months as I am an old boy.

1-No requirement to fly at all, but need a Proficiency Check with an examiner within 3 months of licence expiry date.

2-No requirement to fly in first year but need to fly 12 hrs total, 6 logged as Pilot in charge, 12 take off and landings and 1 hr with flight instructor in second year.

3-Any flying in first year does not count.

Lister:)

RufusRob
15th May 2006, 12:43
Hi Lister - I'm typing this after 5 pints of Abbots Ale so apologies for any skewed thoughts and typos.

1. Revalidation is evey 24 months from date of GFT with a minimum of 12 hours of P1 flying (inclusive of 1 hour revision flight with an instructor) over that 24 month period as long as 12 hours are flown in the last 12 months of the 24 month period. In other words, you can fly as many or as few hours as you like in the first 12 months of the 24 month period but they don't count towards your PPL revalidation - go figure!? Anybody crazy enough not to accrue flying hours in the first 12 months just shouldn't be flying!

2. Revalidation flight can be taken anywhere within 3 months of the PPL expiry date.

3. Need to complete 3 take offs and landings within any 90 day period to maintain currency to carry passengers.

I may be wrong and no doubt others will have a view on what's what, but hope this helps?

Mike Cross
15th May 2006, 12:43
Have a look at this thread. (http://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=22456) In particular, following the link in the post by Irv Lee.
You are (understandably) confused. To fly legally you need three things to be valid, and they all have differing expiry times.
1. Your PPL. A JAA PPL is valid for 5 years
2. Your medical - validity vaires with age and Class
3. Your Class Rating - valid for two years
I suspect it is your Class Rating that you are talking about revalidating, not your PPL.
Mike

Lister Noble
15th May 2006, 13:42
Thank you ,that has cleared the muddied waters somewhat.
My plan,and I emphasise plan, is to fly around 50 hrs per annum in a variety of aircraft that I have already organised using a share,a flying group and hire.
I also plan to fly at least a couple of times a year with an instructor to keep an eye on me and make sure no dodgy habits are creeping in.
I will carry other more experienced pilots from time to time and they may comment on my flying!

Rufus,thank you not a bad effort after 5 pints of Abbot.
Years ago I asked for a pint of Abbot in my local at lunchtime.
The landlord served me the beer with the comment
"One pint of twats"
I asked him why he called it that and he told me only twats drink Abbot at lunchtime.
Not personal mate!
Lister:)

robin
15th May 2006, 14:12
Apologies if I get this wrong, but if you aim to do 50hrs per year, then the likelihood is that revalidation by experience kicks in.

So all you need is the one-hour instructional flight which can take place any time in the second year and your logbook should be so annotated - the signature for the paperwork can be done within 3 months of expiry

RufusRob
15th May 2006, 14:17
That's me told then! Can't be doing with that horrible amber fizzy stuff, lunch times or evenings.

Lister Noble
15th May 2006, 14:25
Thank you Robin,I thought I would be OK but someone asked me the exact figures yesterday luchtime, and I realised I was a bit confused.
Must have been all that Abbot!
;) ;)

MyData
15th May 2006, 14:51
And regarding revalidation - do we have to send stuff to the CAA again, accompanied with a big cheque? Or is validation done locally by a CFI?

foxmoth
15th May 2006, 15:03
All done locally, even if by test - there is a form to send off, the examiner might give it you to send or he may send it himself. No big cheque to send either - though you may have to do that for the examiner if doing it by test!:E

Mike Cross
15th May 2006, 15:08
Revalidation (of your Class Rating) has to be signed off by an Examiner, however the flight (and the signature in your log book) can be done by an FI or a CRI (Class Rating Instructor). So it's two signatures, one in your log book and one in your licence, and they must BOTH be done BEFORE expiry. It's no use turning up one day late to the examiner with your log book and saying "I did the flight two weeks ago , here's the signature, can you sign my license please?"
No cheque to the CAA (for a change)
Look at LASORS 2006 (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/LASORS_06_WEB.pdf) for the CAA interpretation of the JAR's or at the Regulations themselves (http://www.jaa.nl/publications/jars/563247.pdf) for the real McCoy (CAA somehow seem to find it very difficult not to embellish the requirements)
Mike

DRS PILOT
15th May 2006, 15:51
Once the form has been sent off to the CAA, for revalidation of the class rating do they send a response or do they only notify you if something is wrong?

Cheers,
DRS PILOT

englishal
15th May 2006, 16:07
It's no use turning up one day late to the examiner with your log book and saying "I did the flight two weeks ago , here's the signature, can you sign my license please?"
And that is the really dumb bit. If you have revalidated by experience (i.e. have all the requirements), and have the 1 hr with an instructor (JAA - keep it in the family and all that), why should you not be able to visit an examiner in the future to get the paperwork signed (assuming you haven't flown past the expiry date of course).

The CAA once had my logbook and licence for IMC issue, I had plenty of experience and also a 1 hr flight signed by a JAA instructor. I asked them if they could just "revalidate" my ticket while they had it as expiry was due in a couple of months and it would save me some hassle....oooh nooo they said.:*

TAWS
17th May 2006, 21:46
I'm confused and can't find clarification on this! I understand the 24 month rule but can anyone tell me what the process is to renew my JAA PPL license at the 5 year point? I did a re-test (Skills Test) with an examiner in September last year which renewed the class rating for another 24 months I believe. However, the 5 year license validity runs out in June this year. Is this just a paperwork / money generating exercise by the Campaign Against Aviation? Any ideas how much this costs to get the license re-issued?

Mike Cross
18th May 2006, 11:32
Answer here. (http://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=22456&start=13)
Mike

jonnoboy
19th May 2006, 07:51
Could anybody tell me what form it is that needs to be completed for class rating renewal?

Also, I may have read the thread incorrectly, but does the hour with an instructor have to be within the preceeding 12 months, or within the 3 months preceeding the class rating expiry date? I have always presumed the first (although it's only the second time I have had to do it!).

Cheers

jonnoboy
19th May 2006, 08:06
How efficient some PPRUNErs are.

I of course am talking about myself. I have answered my own questions, and LASORS states the hour with an instructor is within the preceeding 12 months which is what I thought.

The form I need is SRG/1119.

(for those interested)