PDA

View Full Version : Kent to Pitlochry - cheeky request!

nimi
9th May 2006, 18:03
A little bit hopeful, (and a huge bit cheeky!)...... -
Is anyone from the South-East area thinking of doing a bit of 'hours building' towards the end of July? Apparantly it's a lovely time to head to the Highlands!! :D
I need to get to Pitlochry in Perthshire (not sure where the nearest grass strip is) for a week-long geology course, and just can't face the run up the A1 in my wee car, or a mind-numbing train journey; and still saving up for my own airplane!
If so, is there room on board one wee lass plus a bag? I promise not to point out every igneous intrusion enroute..!
Thanks!! :ok:
Better still, can anyone loan me a Cub for a week, or am I really pushing my luck now?! ;)

S-Works
9th May 2006, 18:24
PM me. An excuse for flying? Count me in........ :)

Flap40
9th May 2006, 18:49
I know it's the train, but what about getting the sleeper? Leave Euston 2115. Arrive Pitlochry 0613 after a nights sleep. There are usually "Bargain Berths" available online.

Nearest airfield is Perth.

nimi
9th May 2006, 19:12
Thanks!
Unfortunately there is no availability for bargain berths on the date i'm looking to travel (according to the Scotrail website), but thanks for the suggestion.
I must admit - like Bose-x - I am looking for an excuse to get airborne!
nimi

Ops and Mops
10th May 2006, 01:39
I would suggest that the best place to fly to would be Perth, and then catch the train up to Pitlochry. (only about 30mins or so)

I you are looking for an excuse to get airborne while you are up here, then feel free to PM. Perth is a fave landaway for us! :D

Kiltie
10th May 2006, 07:46
Nearest strip to Pitlochry would be Blair Atholl, operated by Andrew Gordon, Lude House. he runs a Tiger Moth and a Cessna 185 from there. It's quite short but easy for a Cub.

stiknruda
10th May 2006, 08:24
If you need a place to stay Haugh House Hotel, half a mile south of Pitlochry is highly recommended. A friend and I spent a weekend there late last year - we landed in the garden, unfortunately it was a helicopter not a biplane:bored:

Stik

Sandy Hutton
10th May 2006, 10:50
Hi Nimi,

If you don't get an aeroplane, I can give you a lift to Pitlochry at the end of July. I have a house in Stanley, about 25 miles short of Pitlochry and I get up there at the end of every month for a longish weekend. I'll probably be travelling on the Thurday night/friday morning (28th) No trouble to go that wee bit further and drop you at your destination. I can pick you up on the M1 at J15a or wherever you suggest. Even Banbury railway station since a detour round the M40 won't put much onto the journey North. You can get me here at the PFA office on 01280 846782 or e-mail me [email protected]. Cheers

Sandy:ok:

PH-UKU
10th May 2006, 22:08
I have a plane with a removable door. I could drop you out over the top of the field station? What are the rules on parachuting? Can anyone with a parachute jump out of my plane if I am happy ?

nimi
10th May 2006, 22:14
:eek: Sold!
Never done it before, but i've an old Russian round parachute in a bag in the garage somewhere, i'll just go have a looksie... shake the moths out...