PDA

View Full Version : Ipswich

MyData
9th May 2006, 14:48
Hi

Does anyone have experiences to share of GA friendly airfields around the Ipswich area? Thoughts on accessibility, taxis, fuel (either 100LL or Jet-A1), overnight parking, inbound approaches and departures...

Ideally near to Woodbridge. I've had a look on the sectional and in Pooleys and there are a number of options - thoughts would be welcome.

NoTimeToWaste
9th May 2006, 14:58
Hi, im interested to know what made you choose our neck of the woods :D

Im learning at Monewden Airfield (http://www.horizonflying.com) which is a small grass strip just to the north of Ipswich. Accessibiliy probably isnt the best, its a good 20 minute drive out into the sticks from my house, probably about 30-35 minutes from the town centre, but I have seen taxi advertisements inside the clubhouse so im sure somebody would pick you up :)

As far as I know fuel is 100LL though I cant remember the price off the top of my head. Theres plenty of parking spots available for overnighting, and I cant imagine its that expensive. Circuits into Monewden are at 1000ft.

Im sorry I cant be really precise but I dont want to give you wrong information while im only learning myself!!

The CFI Bill Stitt is a brilliant guy and can answer any of your questions - his mobile number is on the website above.

Best of luck!! I hope you enjoy Ipswich :)

MyData
9th May 2006, 15:30
Thanks NTTW. I checked up on Monewden in Pooleys and it states that there is no fuel there - hence my query about such matters.

I'll be visiting on business to go to Martlesham near Woodbridge so would want something to the North / North-East of Ipswich. FYI - have visited the town many times and spent a summer working there in 1987, but now I have my licence I want to make the journey from the north more fun than by train or car.

Quick question: if Monewden is unlicenced where do you do plan to do solos etc.? And how is the place pronounced? Is it Mo-New-Den or Mn-eu-den?

Zulu Alpha
9th May 2006, 15:34
Elmsett (West) and Crowfield (North) are other alternatives. They both have 100LL but are ppr.

Both have overnight parking. Neither has an instrument approach.

They will all require a taxi and are 5+ miles from Ipswich and 10 miles from Martlesham.

Framlingham (Parham) has no fuel, Woodbridge and Bentwater are not useable (runways are there but closed)

The only instrument approach is RAF Wattisham which has an ILS

Ipswich airport was closed and built on so there is no possibility of landing there.

Let me know if you need any contact details

High Wing Drifter
9th May 2006, 15:40
MyData,
I'll be visiting on business to go to Martlesham near Woodbridge
Not Adastral Park perchance? I'll be there most of next week.

J.A.F.O.
9th May 2006, 15:42
MyD

Monewden is pronounced "Ipswich Radio" - so no worries there.

What are you planning to fly in in?

MyData
9th May 2006, 16:10
Thanks everyone for the prompt responses. Ad Astral is my final destination (another airfield that has been built over! - didn't Douglas Bader fly from there at some point?).

If I do decide to fly it will be in either a PA-28 or a DiamondStar DA-40. I'm more confident in the PA-28 on grass though. The DA-40 is so slippery I don't know if I'd be able to slow down enough on grass - and haven't had any practice as yet :eek: DA-40 also uses Jet-A1 so would need local supplier.

J.A.F.O.
9th May 2006, 18:56
He did indeed fly from Martlesham Heath which was one of the longest established airfields in the country with a proud heritage both in experimental flying and as a wartime base. The bit that you're heading for mainly covers the domestic side, the big tower sitting, I believe, almost directly on top of the officers' mess.

As NoTime said Bill Stitt is the CFI of Horizon and worth a call if you're planning to go to Monewden.

Give me a PM or email if there's anything that I can help to sort out. Whether it be Monewden, Crowfield or Elmsett (the first is closest to Martlesham).

NoTimeToWaste
10th May 2006, 09:54
There is a bowser at Monewden, but you'd have to talk to Bill about paying for fuel and getting the combination.. Because Monewden is unlicenced we use Beccles for circuit training. As Jafo said Monewden is "Ipswich Radio" - but it is pronounced "Mon-er-don".

Im at Monewden tomorrow so if you need any information I can ask on your behalf... Enjoy Ipswich!!

stiknruda
10th May 2006, 10:57
I have done a few stints at Martlesham and on one occasion flew in, when doing weekend overtime. There is a small grass strip on the periphery of the place that was owned by BT. Helicopters occasionally dropped VIPs off but fixed wing was not welcome!

I tried in vain to get regular access as it would have cut my commute from 25 mins in the car to about 6 in my vintage taildragger and would have made going to work from the field behind a previous house quite fun!

Monewden to MH in the car about 18 mins.

trevs99uk
10th May 2006, 21:06
There is a new airstrip on the old WW2 airfield of DEBACH which is nearer.

Detail on the strip are in some of the 2006 airfield guides.

alas no fuel

trevor

J.A.F.O.
11th May 2006, 21:28
Trevs

a) What's at Debach now, then?

b) Was that you circling today?

NoTimeToWaste
12th May 2006, 10:45
We were doing a lot of circling during my lesson. We were looking at turns over the old Halesworth Air Base... This was between 1:15 and 2, ish...

As far as I know Debach is only turkey sheds or something similar.