PDA

View Full Version : What's your favourite aerodrome in the UK for GA?

Cirrus_Clouds
7th May 2006, 20:51
Hey all,

I know we all like different things in terms of that something that makes an aerodrome deserve another visit sometime. For me, a busy aerodrome, interesting approach, full of action, even with the odd airliner is my cup of tea.

So far Compton Abbas has been my favourite "grass" airfield because of the interesting approach, the views (being on top of a hill), great food and a good atmosphere.

Anyone recommend any others?

Cavallier
8th May 2006, 02:38
Without a doubt it must be Kemble! Huge runway, airfield has many interesting features alot of history great restaurant and lovely countryside.

Pop in and see them. They are all very friendly and I believe the landing fee is only a tenner !

The Cav:cool:

CAT3C AUTOLAND
8th May 2006, 07:41
Remember Cav, when going to Kemble in the summer to avoid South Cerny, which can be very active with Gliders :). Hope the A330 course is going well, have you done your crash and goes yet?

I think I have to agree, Kemble is a great airport. I also like Shoreham, nice to see the seaside on the approach. There is a nice restaurant there, and has a great atmosphere in the summer, as does Kemble.

Grass strip basher
8th May 2006, 08:11
White Whaltham defnitely worth a visit.... always a lot of interesting aircraft and nosh is pretty good as well.

Sandown on the Isle of Wight is also one of my favourites although the approach over the sea into Bembridge is more scenic.

Perhaps we should do a Pprune wanabee fly-in to the airfield that gets the most votes at some point this summer??.... would be good to put some faces to names! :}

GSB

High Wing Drifter
8th May 2006, 08:28
Popham! You got it all: big, small, vintage, new, slow, fast, run of the mill and frankly the very strange. Excellent facilities. Interesting approaches and an atmosphere which, unusually for an airfield, seems to attract regular non-aviation visitors.

www.popham-airfield.co.uk

ONEWORLD_86
8th May 2006, 11:38
Has to be RAF Henlow for me, the grass runways and the sense of history running through the place!

Although there is no great restaurant to sit in, its more than compensated by sitting on the benches outside watching the world go by.

And the ski slope you find on one of the runways always makes landings intresting!

Cavallier
8th May 2006, 13:47
Hey CAT3C I remember you went hooning on through South Cerney when they gave a 2 minute to drop call..................:p

Not done the Tand Gs yet as believe it or not we are waiting for reasonable weather and not a howling x-wind as it makes the Training Captain nervous. Takes me back to drinking tea waiting for the wx to clear as an instructor!

Without wanting to hijack the thread a place to avoid is Redhill. Incredibly overpriced, there is nothing there (not even a place to get a cup of tea) and without doubt the most unhelpful, rude and arrogant ATC!

High Wing Drifter
8th May 2006, 14:08
Redhill...not even a place to get a cup of tea.
The cafe has reopened, apparently.

EGAC_Ramper
8th May 2006, 16:45
Ah I'd most certainly agree with Kemble,recently completed my CPL circuits there for test and can't complain!!

While I'm here may aswell mention the Kemble Air Day coming up on the 18th June!!:ok: Unfortunately I'll be back in Norn Iron!

Regards

D'vay
8th May 2006, 18:22
Ive always liked perranporth. on the edge of the cornish cliffs. Beautiful!

'Chuffer' Dandridge
8th May 2006, 22:32
For me, Headcorn is my fave. A laid-back attitude, grass, cheap landing fees, lots of old aeroplanes, display practice in the overhead, parachutes, balloons, models, helicopters, all existing together in peace & harmony and with only an A/G service......A couple of weeks ago, 2 P-51 Mustangs, a P40 and some stand on wing flying by the locals. Even the occasional fly through by a military fast jet. And not a flourescent jacket in sight, apart from the visitors from bureaucrat land.

I think the only thing that doesnt happen there regularly is gliding, but even so, we get the occasional glider landing out from Challock.:ok:

Flash0710
8th May 2006, 22:43
Shoreham fantastic. North Weald really pro GA and great nostalgic surroundings with interesting oap spam flying around.

Duxford, well bonus but not for me....:rolleyes:

Stay high...

f

flybymike
8th May 2006, 23:25
Caernarfon. Stunning scenery, lovely beach, presentable nosh, and a fold up bike's ride from a great pub lunch at Llanwrog....

Whirlybird
9th May 2006, 08:05
Oban....fantastic scenery, great people, lovely area, free jammy dodgers - though I hear things there have changed. :{

AerBabe
9th May 2006, 08:18
North Weald.

Am I allowed that vote? :p

Genghis the Engineer
9th May 2006, 08:37
Second vote for Popham, although Old Sarum would come a close second.

G

Zulu Alpha
9th May 2006, 09:32
I'd have to vote for Cromer http://www.chris.gurney.co.uk/ during one of the annual seafood fly-ins.
- Lovely company,
- Great seafood.
- Chris Gurney and his friendly helpers
the only downside is its only 493mtrs
I also agree about Compton, N Weald, Old Buckenham, Breighton, Kemble being nice places.

Pilotdom
9th May 2006, 09:47
Sherburn

Its fantastic,good experience builder for busy circuits and new club house with a proper club atmosphere.

Floppy Link
9th May 2006, 14:32
Perth...
microlights
helicopters
Singles
multis
PPL training
CPL training
IR training
6 runways
VOR
cafe
ILS nearby should you be so inclined ( no "inclined 3 degrees" jokes please!)
mountains
lots of uncontrolled airspace
3 parachute centres in the vicinity
lovely weather (at least today...)
etc

VP8
9th May 2006, 16:02
Andrewsfield :)

Great field although a bit bumpy by the skijump:E

Excellent bacon butties in the millibar and a good social scene to boot

VEEPS

Flash0710
9th May 2006, 16:08
And of course only real Pilots fly to Headcorn:cool:

F

Cricket23
9th May 2006, 16:16
I can confirm that the cafe has re-opened at Redhill.

Don't know when you last visted Cav, but not too long ago, ATC were spoken to and are more 'customer friendly', although as an ex-student there I've always found them to be ok.

I agree with the comments at Headcorn, and Sandown, both good places, plus I've got a soft-spot for Headcorn as that's where I first solo'd.;)

C23

S-Works
9th May 2006, 18:56
Leicester for the Midlands, Perranporth for the SW!

KCDW
9th May 2006, 19:24
Why Perranporth BoseX?
Didn't know they had an airfield, and we are (perchance) camping there in August ;)
Do they rent?
KCDW
Oh re topic... Headcorn for all the reasons above. Plus: On a nice weekend, loads of people actually come to look (bootfair on Sundays helps), and, of course, you have to give them a wave as you taxi :) . Tiger Moths. Occasional Llamas. Model Airplane club who play just north east of 29 (make you look twice sometimes). Medieval lavatories. Buzz...

S-Works
9th May 2006, 19:33
went to Peranporth a couple of times this year and could not have been made to feel more welcome. Avgas, cafe, local camping, and Cornwall! It has it all!

tom775257
10th May 2006, 11:51
Perranporth is great! Stunning approach and really friendly! In my neck of the woods I really enjoy a trip to Shobdon, nice countryside and a great cafe.

On a tangent the worst GA experience I consistently have (unfortunately having to take students there) is Cardiff! I hate that place. Last time I went there I had to orbit north of Cardiff docks for 25 minutes while being told to standby by approach. The airfield was dead, and the traffic load on the RT was moderate.

What is your least favourite airfield for GA so we know where to avoid?

kevmusic
10th May 2006, 14:46
When I was at Perranporth 20-odd years ago, 'twas nought but a windswept gliding club. Things seem to have changed!

Oh, and KCDW :

'Model Airplane club'

Model Aeroplane club, please! :rolleyes: Though I agree about Headcorn. Lots of buzz at the weekend.

Kev.

robin
10th May 2006, 15:07
Perranporth is a friendly field, but a bit bleak and with very limited facilities.

shortstripper
10th May 2006, 16:53
Ahhhhh Perranporth :D

I did the two duration flights for my Bronze C there years ago. The second of which was a magical flight at dusk in a K6CR riding the ridge. I could have stayed up for hours but was eventually called down by a club member who drove onto the runway and flashed his lights. I hadn't realised how dark it was at ground level as I'd been basking in a fabulous copper coloured sunset and was mesmerised by the panoramic veiws of the Cornish peninsular spread below in long shadows. Truly one of my most memorable flights ever!

As for best GA fields? Well I've only really been around the south. Compton and Popham are always good. IOW fields are great but being so near seems like cheating. Bodmin is also very nice, but for me ... a nice private strip that I've been invited to is always the best ... but it's been too long. Can't wait to get the T31m cleared for flight so I can start exploring again :D

SS

Aussie Andy
10th May 2006, 18:48
Oooh, yummy! All this alk of Perranporth has me excited as am planning a flight down there in August (I think) when SWMBO+kids+grandparents will be holidaying down near there, and I will pop down by air for the weekend -- can't wait!!

Andy :ok:

DaveW
10th May 2006, 19:53
Another vote for Perranporth here - especially when they have one of their Crab Soup & Cornish Pastie Fly-Ins. :ok: (Hope they still do them)

Tiger_ Moth
11th May 2006, 16:01
I agree with comments on Headcorn. I was there that day when they had the 2 P51s and the P-40 and all the practice displays. It was wonderful.

And the Llamas! What on earth are they doing there?

VT10
11th May 2006, 18:26
Peterlee at weekends. Good grub & fuel. No nasty control zones.

Cavallier
12th May 2006, 06:10
Will put another vote in for Perranporth. Pretty spectacular departure when you pass over the cliff face. The costal scenery is pretty stunning. Also found out that St Mawgan give you a very good service when you are operating in that area.

Aussie Andy
12th May 2006, 08:33
Curious: do St. Mawgan operate / provide radar service etc / on the weekends?
Andy :ok:

javelin
12th May 2006, 19:18
Bagby.

Great location, friendly operator, no restrictions, everyone welcome. food available at any time, no hassle.

);

Raven30
13th May 2006, 17:46
Andy,

St Mawgan operate and provide LARS every day. They do occasionally close LARS for breaks during periods of staff shortage, but normally you can expect a service from 0700-2200L.

Raven

SKYYACHT
13th May 2006, 20:35
Goodwood - good food, grass, and historic.

Agree about the rude and arrogant ATC at Redhill - except for the controller with a Northern Accent.

Sandown is nice. I also like Welshpool.

:)

Cavallier
15th May 2006, 08:01
Agree there! Northern bloke is ok.

"G-AB Taxy t' runway 26L"

CAT3C AUTOLAND
18th May 2006, 20:27
Hey Cav,

I bet you miss those positioning flights down to Redhill to pick up 'WV', where the flaps are still broken :ugh:.