PDA

View Full Version : IFR flight?

Krallu
6th May 2006, 14:02
Anyone knows if it is legal to fly IFR private flight with an aircraft if it has all equipment according to the regulations for IFR?

Or do the CAA need to do some sort of check on the aircraft and recieve some sort of IFR approval also? And if, where can I see on the aircraft if it is IFR approved or not?

Thx!

jabberwok
6th May 2006, 15:50
The requirements for IFR flight depend on the airspace you fly in. Check the ANO, Schedule 4.

S-Works
6th May 2006, 17:00
the aircraft is required to carry the minimum equipment as listed in the ANO. FM immune etc. It is upto the operator and PIC to determine the correct equipment is carried for flight into controlled airspace. Outside of controlled airspace I dont believe there is a requirment.

I assume you mean true IFR/IMC flight and not just in accordance with IFR rules?

tmmorris
6th May 2006, 17:24
There is I think minimum equipment for IFR OCAS but it's obvious things like a turn-and-slip...

Tim

Krallu
6th May 2006, 19:29
Ok, thank you guys.

So if I have the required minimum equipments necessary for the true IFR/IMC flight and in controlled airspace. Then I can use the airplane for that IFR flight?

I don't need any CAA person to come and certify it for IFR flight or check it?

FlyingForFun
6th May 2006, 19:47
There are restrictions on some aircraft.... for example, a PFA aircraft can not be flown IFR even if it has all the necessary equipment.

But I think the answer to your question is Yes - if it has a CofA, and it has all the necessary equipment as per ANO Schedule 4, it can fly IFR. Not 100% certain, though.

FFF
--------------

IO540
6th May 2006, 19:49
There is no CAA inspection requirement for IFR, but the aircraft itself must not have a VFR-only or VMC-only restriction in its operating handbook.

I am not certain about the status of a BRNAV GPS though - this is required for airways flight (FL095 and above). This might need an inspection, on a G-reg. On an N-reg, an IFR GPS requires an FAA-stamped aircraft manual supplement before it can be legally used for IFR.

Krallu
6th May 2006, 20:10
Thx a lot for your information.

It is really appreciated. If someone has something more to share on this topic feel free to do that. :)

FlyingForFun
6th May 2006, 20:52
IO540,the aircraft itself must not have a VFR-only or VMC-only restriction in its operating handbookI have seen several American aircraft where the POH says "Day VFR only", but this is overruled in the UK CAA suppliment to the POH, which refers you to the relevant parts of the ANO to determine if the aircraft is equipped for night or IFR flight.

I asked a question about that on this forum a couple of years ago, but about the night restriction rather than the IMC restriction (have searched, but can't find it), and although no one would commit to it, I think the general opinion was that you can ignore the "Day VFR only", because the CAA's suppliment overrides anything in the original POH.

Would this be your understanding too? And is it the "norm" for the CAA to put something like this in their suppliments? Some examples might alter my opinion.

However, one thing which is worth pointing out is that if the FAA have restricted an aircraft to VFR only, it's probably with good reason. So even if it is legal to fly it IFR in the UK, the chances are it is not equipped for flight in seriousIMC.

FFF
-------------

Krallu
6th May 2006, 21:19
Interesting information.
Well, if it is restricted to VFR day my recommendation would also to obey that.

By the way, where would you find the information if the CAA has restricted an aircraft to VFR day or something else?

IO540
7th May 2006, 07:33
FFF

I cannot give you a definitive answer as I have no experience in this.

The whole thing comes down to insurance. If the CAA is happy then you won't get done for flying IFR. Insurance (or lack of it) is all that matters. I would plug away at the insurer for a ruling.

You aren't talking to night flight by any chance? This is normally IFR in the UK. This was mentioned here before. It is routinely done in "VFR"-placarded aircraft, with full knowledge of the CAA, and I would have hoped that if, given various accidents over the years, insurers were not paying out, it would have been publicised.

As regards "serious IMC", how would you define that? :O Everything that's not expressly prohibited is permitted. If IFR is permitted, and there is no qualification on that, that includes IMC.