PDA

View Full Version : kite flying notams, what kind of kites are they?

18greens
5th May 2006, 18:55
Hi,

The NOTAMS are always full of kite flying like

NAVW: Q)EGTT/QWCLW/IV/M/W/000/020/5130N00148W002
FROM 06/05/06 07:45 TO 06/05/07 17:15 H1054/06
D)0745-1715
E) AUS 06-05-0135/1199/AS5
KITE FLYING 2NM RADIUS 5130N 00148W (WROUGHTON, NEAR SWINDON,
WILTSHIRE). ON-SITE CONTACT TEL 01793 846221.
F)SFC G)2000FT AGL

Up to 2000'. Does anyone know what kind of kites they are? Are they very big with long strings???

Would it be fun to watch?

FlyingForFun
5th May 2006, 19:25
.....with long strings???I would guess the strings are just slightly less than 2000' long... :}

Sorry! Good question, but I don't know the answer, just couldn't resist.

FFF
----------------

Dimensional
5th May 2006, 19:29
As I understand it, a lot of these 'NOTAM's are simply people wanting to avoid being overflown by low flying military aircraft.

18greens
5th May 2006, 20:11
just slightly less than 2000' long...
----------------

Well since the angle of a kite flying is about 45 degrees then the strings would be 3000' long. But why???? you wouldn't be able to see the kite at that distance.

BRL
5th May 2006, 21:31
Interesting question. Reason being, the local kite club down here are allowed, once a month, to let their kites up to 2000ft.

The kind of kites that they have to do this are the big home-made kites like dragons or something like that and the owner can let it go up high for whatever reason.

I think they also have a time limit, say from 1000 to 1400. They also have a designated area for this, last time I looked it was Hove Park where it all happened. It may have changed now, I have not seen any over that way, most of them are up at Stanmer Park these days.

Unfortunately, if you break the 2000' rule, this happens!!!!
http://www.brightonkitefestival.co.uk/Festival/Boys-in-Blue.gif

Have a look at this site (http://www.brightonkitefestival.co.uk/) for an idea what kite flying is all about.

If you ever get the chance to see a kite festival, go and see it. Kites these days are really amazing and if you are into photography they are very photogenic indeed!

MyData
7th May 2006, 08:04
On this point. I have a colleague at work, I do flying he does falconry. In passing he was mentioning how he trains his hawks/kestrels etc. to climb and dive for food. One technique is to put the meat onto a kite / balloon and raise it to 2000' and watch the bird soar.

I asked if he got permission to do so as 2000' is rather high, and he mentioned that they have to do this in conjunction with the local ATC authorities - and perhaps that process leads to the NOTAM being issued for kites/balloons at that height for a known time and location.

Isn't the interweb wonderful, take a look at this page for more info:

http://www.northwoodsfalconry.com/index.cgi?rm=listitems&cat=%2FKite%20%26%20Balloon%20Training%20Equipment

bencoulthard
7th May 2006, 08:43
I've heard of traction kites with 200m lines about 660 feet?

Not sure why, mine is fine with 20m.

Must be like a my string's longer than your string thing going on.

bar shaker
7th May 2006, 16:47
If I flew a kite, with my daughter, could I be prosecuted for endangering aircraft?

What really gets me is the birds of prey Notams.

Too much clutter is amking really important Notams get missed.

At the end of the day, all these kite flying notams are for VFR traffic, are they not?

ShyTorque
7th May 2006, 17:06
There used to be a daily NOTAM about kite flying in Hertfordshire. As it was close to a VFR route we use I rang the phone number given to enquire about the details. The lady who answered didn't know what I was talking about and didn't know what a NOTAM was. She said her partner sometimes flew a kite at weekends but hadn't flown it for months and he was at work.

I rang the NOTAM people and advised them that the info was misleading. I was informed they had no jurisdiction to delete the NOTAM and could only publish what they were given.

18greens
7th May 2006, 17:45
I went to it and it was great. Very large kites, Rockets, Jet model aircraft and free entrance to the Science Museum at Wroughton. Great day out and all free!!

Some of the kites were huge (20' *20'), the festival was worthy of the NOTAM.