PDA

View Full Version : UK scenic flying

SNJ-6
5th May 2006, 06:12
Hello All,
I'll be on holidays in the UK during July. I'm a PPL/CPL here in Australia (but I'm originally from the UK). I would like to grab a local pilot/plane and see some of the UK from the air - possibly from a number of locations. In particular my wife, 2 yr old and I (so we'll need a 4 seater) will spend time in Yorkshire, North and South Devon and Kent. Any suggestions on where to fly from (preferably with a friendly, professional outfit with decent aircraft) and what to see would be greatly appreciated. This might be a stupid question, in order to log the time as 'dual' would I need to fill in any of your CAA's forms (and give them money :hmm:)or would I just need to bring my logbook?
Cheers,
Simon

2Donkeys
5th May 2006, 11:56
You CASA licence is recognised for PPL privileges in the UK (no instructing no IFR in controlled airspace, no aerial-work), without any particular formality.

The only hoops you'll have to jump through are those that any prospective flying-club puts in front of you. Expect to have to provide licence, medical and logbook.

With that in place (and a club checkout), you would be permitted to fly as PIC if you want.

DubTrub
5th May 2006, 21:51
...fortunately, CASA licence is recognised in the UK. In Oz, of course, being 4 years behind 9/11, one would have to go through the security hoops to use a UK CAA licence there.
/rant.

In the UK, for "dual" you might need a 2-crew aircraft, but for P1 "under supervision", any old 4-seater with an instructor should do for you.

Anyway, I can recommend Dunkeswell in South Devon; Perranporth in North Devon; Headcorn (Lashenden) in Kent; Sherburn-in-Elmet in Yorks.

Hope this helps.

SNJ-6
6th May 2006, 07:16
Thanks for the feedback, it's much appreciated.
Cheers, Simon :ok:

Cahlibahn
6th May 2006, 07:28
Not wishing to be pedantic but Perranporth is in Cornwall, a good 45 miles from the Devon border and about 80 miles from Ilfracombe. Dunkeswell or Exeter are probably your best bets for both North and South Devon.