There is a new Bose X Headset that I am interested in for sale here:

Link Removed as per R&R.

Q. Is the headset as good as claimed?
Any advice greatly appreciated.
G

Zulu Alpha
3rd May 2006, 15:35
It is pricey but very good.

Check it is the latest model as they changed the battery module about 2 yrs ago. The Bose website shows the new type battery box.

If you can afford it you will not be disappointed.

flyboyike
3rd May 2006, 19:19
Q. Is the headset as good as claimed?

A. Yes, it really is.

S-Works
3rd May 2006, 20:27
Yes it is, thousand hours on mine, and never regretted it for a moment.

Note that it is an ANR headset and provides little in the way of passive protection. You get lightweight and comfort but it comes at a price!

IO540
3rd May 2006, 21:22
If you hold a piece of car washing sponge from Halfords against each ear, and then clamp your whole head (including the sponges) in a vice (i.e. a bit like a David Clarke headset) you will get very good passive attenuation :O

I have four Bose-X headsets in the plane and never regretted it for a moment.

The downsides are

You have to brief passengers to look after them - most people think headsets are £20

They do have to be treated with care, not chucked around

If you go for the aircraft powered version, the plastic LEMO connector on it is flimsy. But most non-aircraft-owners won't have that anyway.

The upside is that it's by far the best headset there is. I've done 6hr flights and not felt any discomfort. Every other headset is cr*p in comparison.

Bramley
5th May 2006, 22:09
Other posters here have many more hours of experience than me. But in my humble opinion, they're a great investment. I did my early training with a cheap headset and decided to sacrifice fours hours of future flying for an early investment in a Bose X.

Never looked back, and never felt uncomfortable. (Apart from the jealous looks from other pilots!)

dmjw01
6th May 2006, 05:56
I recently made the mistake of borrowing a friend's Bose-X headset after my own ANR had stopped working (probably due to condensation forming in it during a flight to Svalbard). I wore the Bose-X for the return flight from half-way up Norway back to Biggin - which was nearly seven hours of continuous flight - and at the end of it I felt like I hadn't been wearing a headset at all because the Bose-X is so light and comfortable. It was a mistake to borrow it because now I want one!

During those flights, I was able to try several different ANR headsets in the same aircraft, and make an immediate direct comparison by switching from one to another. To be honest I don't think the ANR is substantially better than my own headset - certainly not enough to justify the price. But the lightweight comfort of the Bose-X is tremendous if you do long flights of several hours.

If you're only going to be doing bimbling flights of up to an hour or so, I wouldn't bother with the Bose-X: any ANR headset will do (or get your passive headset converted, as I did). If you're not going to be wearing it for long periods of time, then the money is better spent on other things.

Mike Cross
6th May 2006, 06:38
For sure it's a lot more comfortable but (and possibly more important) it improves clarity by an order of magnitude. Stripping out the background noise makes it easier to hear the radio/intercom and you don't need the volume so high, both of which reduce stress. I've only ever used passive or the Bose so I can't speak for the clarity compared with other ANR's.

BroomstickPilot
7th May 2006, 10:01
gijoe,

On IO540's advice, I bought a Bose X headset about six moths ago and have never looked back - strongly recommended!

With regard to buying second hand, I must make it clear that I have never used e-Bay. I tend to be suspicious of such things. I am always afraid I might be buying stolen goods.

However, any Bose headset should have its serial number registered with Bose, and if that Bose headset is under five years old, it should also still be under warranty.

The warranty is transferrable to a new owner by Bose, but only at the request of the existing owner.

It might be worthwhile getting the serial number before you buy the headset and checking with Bose whether the name of its registered owner is the same as that of the vendor. You can also check whether the headset is still within warranty and then ask the present owner if he/she would be prepared to transfer the warranty to you. If he/she refuses, then back off.

Broomstick.

IO540
7th May 2006, 19:23
Ebay is fine if purchasing from somebody who has a good amount of positive feedback (100+ good sales) and is UK based.

The common scam (if you are buying) is for the seller to take your money and pretend he posted the item. Insist that it is sent Registered or similar service ONLY.

I have sold avionics on Ebay into four figures per item, perfectly UK, to U.S. customers.