PDA

View Full Version : A/c Hire in Cyprus

Leezyjet
27th Apr 2006, 13:37
Anyone know of anywhere in Cyrpus that does a/c hire ?. I know of Griffon Aviation, but are there any others, preferably with a C152 or C172 as thats all I'm rated on.

Also anyone done any flyign there ? Is it any good ? Much to see along the way ?.

I'm going in September with some friends and it would be nice to take them for a quick flight.

:)

S-Works
27th Apr 2006, 19:06
Tomahawk Aviation 00357 24625033

I always fly with them, not a lot to see and BE VERY careful about watching your airspace as you will be shot down if you cross the border by accident!

Bluebeard777
28th Apr 2006, 09:01
I have flown a few times in Cyprus. A delightful country but not a relaxed place for GA due to numerous airspace restrictions and controllers keeping a close eye on everything that flies.

There was a plan to open a new airfield just for GA, near Nicosia, but I don't know whether anything has come of this ......

Wycombe
28th Apr 2006, 11:10
This was a while back, so memory fades, things may have changed etc.

- FPL required for all flying.

- For flights E to W along the Island, there were VFR routes that must be followed. Quite a bit of this was at, or close to, the S Coast.

Having said that there is some spectacular scenery.

We went to Beirut in a 172 from Larnaca, which was fun :ok:

Davidt
28th Apr 2006, 16:43
I hired from Griffon last year and as far as I know they are your only option in Paphos.

Theres another School in Larnaca Goggle will tell you.

As others have said its a bit limited and restrictive. For a VFR bimble your stuck with the Paphos-Limasol-Larnaca corridor or the training area north of Paphos which was closed when I went as the mil were using it.

I wanted to get a trip to Rhodes going but there wasnt the time available, Beiruit sounds fun tell me more!

Leezyjet
28th Apr 2006, 19:37
Thanks for the replies.

We will be staying in Paralimini, so Larnaca will be the nearest airport. That Beirut trip sounds very interesting. How long was the flight and did you hire the 172 out there ?.

:ok:

Wycombe
28th Apr 2006, 21:10
I had access to the RAF Club at Akrotiri, so it was their 172.

We had to route in and out via Larnaca for Customs etc, from there it was about an hour and a quarter (it's about 110 nautical IIRC), VFR airways so we could get nice and high (about FL80, again IIRC). Pretty much a straight line and a powerful NDB in OLBA for us to fly towards.

This was back in about '96, so Beirut was somewhat war-ravaged and full of all sorts of troops. Expect it's a lot nicer now.

Glasgow_Flyer
28th Apr 2006, 21:43
I flew 5B-CIT (a 150) out there a few years ago - just did a quick seach and found it here now...

NICOSIA AEROCLUB
Everyone can afford to fly
+357 22382112 at about £50 an hour.

The bloke's name was Nikos (if he is still about) - did a good job with me!

Bluebeard777
28th Apr 2006, 22:31
No fading memory, however, of the EUR240 charges for 2 days parking and "handling" (my wallet) at Larnaca ......... Ouch :{