PDA

View Full Version : Selection process Sim Rides!

Night Flight
27th Apr 2006, 08:13
Hey all,

I'm intrested in what airlines use what sims for the selection precesses and what others have been using to prepare? ie. books, pc sims, posters...

I think it would be intresting to see the verieties arround the world?

NF

tomcs
27th Apr 2006, 19:23
Well i did two when i was job hunting....one on the BAC 1-11 at heathrow which involved SIDs, holding and procedural ILS. And the other was on a 146 and i did VOR tracking and then two ILSs, one CAVOK and the other down to minima. On both occasions I had lengthy briefings prior to going into the sim on both flying the aeroplane and just general discussion.
The 1-11 was flown with the assessor as the PNF and the 146 was flown with two candidates in the seats.

I felt the key was the instrument flying as well as a basic knowledge of MCC principles etc.

Got the jobs so i must have done something right although it was quite stressful at the time!

Mooney12
28th Apr 2006, 10:33
I did the 1-11 checkride at Heathrow also. During it the checker kept firing random sums at me, kept asking for ETA's and kept me chatting about none relevant things.

He said he was checking my capacity as that is key to passing a type rating in the minimal time.

Not a lot you can do to prepare, unless you are willing to pay for some extra sim time....you can generally find someone who is familiar with the various airlines sim sessions, who for a rather large fee is willing to help. For example, you can get some BAC1-11 time down at Bournemouth.

EGCC4284
28th Apr 2006, 20:14
For example, you can get some BAC1-11 time down at Bournemouth.

??????????

tomcs
28th Apr 2006, 22:41
BAC1-11 Sim at bournemouth is now defunct i think!.....infact i think BA has the only one left in this country, although i may be wrong!

Mooney12
29th Apr 2006, 14:47
Its still there alright, I saw it a few months ago.....Didn't know it was broken though.....Thought you could buy time on it still...

tailwheel76
29th Apr 2006, 18:36
I was advised not to fly in the sim type you'll be using prior to your assessment as you will probably be taught to operate it differently to the way your prospective employer wants you to use it, causing you a bit of confusion in an already stressful situation.

Apart from that read, re-read, re-read and read again ALL the info the company sends you prior to your sim assessment and if you can find a cockpit photo/diagram then thats a bonus too.

FunFlyin
29th Apr 2006, 18:41
The sim in Bournemouth is a 727 sim

I found it very useful for an hours brush up prior to the 1-11 sim. As both sims are electromechanical jets.

But I am 99% sure the BA one is the only 1-11 left

bolty_1000
29th Apr 2006, 20:45
contact mike boulton (number is on the attached website: www.fly-pft.co.uk).
he offers 'pre airline assesment' training on the 727 sim and has a vast knowledge of what each airline is looking for!
def worth the money!!