PDA

View Full Version : Which PPL Exams to Pass First???

Pilatus09
25th Apr 2006, 22:48
Hi,
Im headin out to florida in August to do the PPL and was hoping to get a few exams passed first before i go over, take some of the pressure off.

Just wondering could anyone recommend which ones to get out of the way first through self study before i leave for florida and which ones to leave till i arrive out there and get some ground school in the harder more complicated ones that might need the knowledge of an instructor in order for me to fully understand....

All info and opinions greatly recieved

Cheers:ok:

Pilatus09

Re-Heat
25th Apr 2006, 23:20
Air Law & Tech - most else you would actually gain experience of in practice - not to say you won't in those, but useful pre-read to flying. Others might be better put in context first.

Only an opinion!

Keygrip
26th Apr 2006, 02:26
Considering you have four months to prepare for what would be included in a three week course (along with the flying) - I would say "all of them".

Fastair345
26th Apr 2006, 16:51
[quote=Pilatus09]Hi,

Pass them All mate !!

If you get the "Confuser" it will help in terms of speed in passing the tests but You'll learn more how to answer the Question correctly than understand the subject fully (although there are pretty good explanations in the back.)

Cheers:ok:

Fastair345

CherokeeDriver
28th Apr 2006, 14:43
Human Factors. Can be studied in about 1 hour and I am sure you'll get a good pass to boost your confidence. I trained in the USA and found the Meterology and Navigation exams the hardest - get Met passed in the UK if you can - Navigation becomes a LOT clearer once you've been flying and used the instuments / maps etc in real life.

Oxeagle
28th Apr 2006, 17:32
Definitely Air Law. Amongst it being incredibly useful for new trainee PPLs to know about airspace, VFR minima etc, you are required to have done the air law exam to go solo (correct me if i'm wrong, this is the requirement at my club and so I can only go by what I know)

GASH !
28th Apr 2006, 18:20
There is no legal requirement to have passed Air Law before first solo. It's a PPL Urban Myth. However most clubs do seem to impose this rule which is probably quite sensible.

mdc
28th Apr 2006, 18:26
This raises another point. If you want to do an intensive course overseas, but want to ease the load by getting your exams out of the way first. How do you actually go about getting the exam papers and sitting these exams ?

Do UK flying clubs allow you to self study, sit the exams at their premises, mark them and allow you to take your proof of exam passes overseas for flight training ?

Keygrip
28th Apr 2006, 21:33
The "adult" one do, yes.

They will, of course, charge you for it.

Guessing about £25 per exam (but it's a guess).