PDA

View Full Version : CAA Xenophobia?

cdb
25th Apr 2006, 20:26
Just dealing with my latest MATS I amendments and saw this new bit - 1-1-2.3:
ATS providers may designate, within their unit, operational areas in which all communications (operational and non-operational) shall be in the English Language.
Eh? I can understand the rationale for insisting that operational matters should be discussed in English (in case errors are picked up by others) but what possible reason could there be for stopping two controllers/asistants discussing what they had for dinner last night in Spanish, Hindi or any other language?

I'm also wondering what precipitated this amendment. Any ideas?

JustaFew
25th Apr 2006, 23:57
Protecting the Empire...

BDiONU
26th Apr 2006, 06:21
Just dealing with my latest MATS I amendments and saw this new bit - 1-1-2.3:
I'm also wondering what precipitated this amendment. Any ideas?
Possibly the intent to have voice recording through the mic, whether you key it or not, 24/7 in ACC's. Gives investigators access to such things as coordination conducted face to face which would not usually go through a recorded source.

BD

SM4 Pirate
26th Apr 2006, 07:30
With area recording etc; when is it exactly that a 'non-operational' discussion (lets say not in English) becomes an operational discussion? What exactly is non-operational; work stuff not relevant right now or discussions about the family, where is the line?

Personally I would not care about the language used as long as RT etc. is in English, compliance with regs; but I have witnessed individuals arguing "we discussed it" (not over a line), and the other party saying "no we didn't". Under the area recording policy of ICAO; someone is (will be) always watching (listening).

BDiONU
26th Apr 2006, 08:07
With area recording etc; when is it exactly that a 'non-operational' discussion (lets say not in English) becomes an operational discussion? What exactly is non-operational; work stuff not relevant right now or discussions about the family, where is the line?
Personally I would not care about the language used as long as RT etc. is in English, compliance with regs; but I have witnessed individuals arguing "we discussed it" (not over a line), and the other party saying "no we didn't". Under the area recording policy of ICAO; someone is (will be) always watching (listening).
I think you've answered your own question, where is the line? How would an investigator know what you were talking about if it were not in English? One language keeps everyone clear. No recording in the UK's ACC's yet.

BD