PDA

View Full Version : Foreign language requirements for ATCOs

Neptune262
25th Apr 2006, 11:45
Hi all,

Anyone with any experience of the requirements for local language knowledge when moving to a new country and working as an ATCO?

Does anyone know of any countries that have stated their language requirements to operate as an ATCO in that particular country?

I am not referring to English language skills - just the local language.

Thanks.

Lock n' Load
25th Apr 2006, 13:07
With Nav Canada, anyone wishing a transfer to units in Quebec must take an oral French test (ooh er missus) since local traffic will speak only French, and I've heard that Skyguide will only hire people who are fluent in French (for Geneva) or German (for Zurich). In their case, they say that as well as local traffic, some co-ordination and all calls with airport vehicles will be in German. On the other hand, Arabic is not required for controllers in the more friendly parts of the Middle East.

Tompano
25th Apr 2006, 13:22
I can confirm on the German skills with Skyguide. And also, here in Norway you must speak norwegian (or atleast scandinavian) to be hired as an atco.

t

atcsstudent
25th Apr 2006, 16:37
You must speak Spanish in Spain to work as an ATCO.
Regards.

Tompano
25th Apr 2006, 19:13
Yeah, I know. Sucks, doesn`t it?
How far will I get with "Hola, you look muy bueno!" :cool:

-Prosperous Spanish ATCO... :O

360BakTrak
25th Apr 2006, 23:16
In the not too distant future, ICAO are introducing an english language exam for all pilots & ATCO's, for which you have to be proficient to at least level 6 (out of 8) to pass. Allegedly.:confused:

Neptune262
26th Apr 2006, 05:13
Ok, so the next question is what do the tests comprise of? Are they a general language test or are they work specific with RTF questions and co-ordination related subjects?

Does Norway publish the test or show the level that is required?

What about the French test in Canada, is that published?

Yes the English requirements from ICAO come into effect in 2008. These have well layed out guidelines, the local language requirements seem much more of a grey area.

All help appreciated.

Thanks.

360BakTrak
26th Apr 2006, 08:32
The problem is that at the moment..........nobody actually knows! ICAO seem to have imposed this new requirement without any guidance as to what the hell to do!

DirtyPierre
26th Apr 2006, 11:34
In the not too distant future, ICAO are introducing an english language exam for all pilots & ATCO's, for which you have to be proficient to at least level 6 (out of 8) to pass.The septics are in trouble then!

Jagohu
26th Apr 2006, 13:43
At Eurocontrol, Maastricht you don't need to know Dutch :)

Jerricho
27th Apr 2006, 15:29
I know a little German..........

(she's a nice girl too ;) )

Neptune262
28th Apr 2006, 06:40
joanmcewen (http://www.pprune.org/forums/member.php?u=70641) vbmenu_register("postmenu_2541660", true); what happens in Spain? Have you ever accepted any foreign controllers?

M609
28th Apr 2006, 10:26
Since my beloved employer has agreed with the union (Natca) that we are approx 135-140 controllers short in Norway, I suspect that the language requirement will be waivered for ACC controllers at least.
(140 might not sound very much, but we are less then 500 total today......)

(Towers are a bit harder, since you need a lot of comunications with non ATC units. The radio comms with vehicles on the airfield are in native tongue as well)

Neptune262
29th Apr 2006, 20:43
Ask your employer if he has a present language test. If not maybe he would make one!

I thought there was supposed to be the free movement of workers within the EU. I am not seeing this if foreign employers can't specify their standards.

soontobeATCO
1st May 2006, 13:59
At Eurocontrol, Maastricht you don't need to know Dutch :)

I can also confirm Eurocontrol require no local language skills, just English. :)

(Learning dutch looks to be nigh on impossible anyway!)

Lon More
1st May 2006, 16:26
At Eurocontrol, Maastricht you don't need to know Dutch
No, but a little helps. Outside work you'll be living in the local community and an attempt to speak the language works wonders with the locals even though 99% speak English. Of course many of the Germans live in Germany still and a lot of the Francophones in Belgium.
And although it shouldn't be done, a lot of co-ordination with adjacent/subjacent units is done in another language.

Good luck to you all - and if you get through, don't forget to be nice to your training officer and supervisor - lots of coffee helps:O

soontobeATCO
1st May 2006, 17:03
No, but a little helps. Outside work you'll be living in the local community and an attempt to speak the language works wonders with the locals even though 99% speak English. Of course many of the Germans live in Germany still and a lot of the Francophones in Belgium.
And although it shouldn't be done, a lot of co-ordination with adjacent/subjacent units is done in another language.

Good luck to you all - and if you get through, don't forget to be nice to your training officer and supervisor - lots of coffee helps:O

Lon More, are you based at Eurocontrol? I have just been accepted and am due to start at IANS in July. Would be good to get an insight from someone who has experience of it all!

(Oh and I did notice the coffee stations every 10m or so in the MUAC building :) !)

Lon More
1st May 2006, 17:49
are you based at Eurocontrol
Not any more. I retired some time ago, having happily slept through the last few years:\

Neptune262
6th May 2006, 20:31
Anyone with any more input on this?

360BakTrak
7th May 2006, 15:26
Not yet, but I might have in the next few weeks. Keep you posted if I find anything out.:}

atcSA
8th May 2006, 06:59
The technology for computers has grown drastically over the couple of decades but speaking from personal experiences (ATC and computer programming), computers cannot "think" or compute the amount they need to, to actually be a 100% safe. Anyone can notice this!! Have you ever installed or downloaded a program that never needed an update or patch? Computers could possibly do this but the fact that a machine which does NOT think and runs by rules and limitations is going to have the responsibility of thousands of lives a day including mine and yours, makes me rather whip out my bicycle. :(

Heaven help us if they're going to run Microsoft!?! :hmm:

G

PPRuNe Radar
8th May 2006, 13:43
Are we talking about the same subject here ?? :cool:

Neptune262
9th May 2006, 14:08
I assumed it was an incorrect post. Looks more for the "ATC Jobs at threat ??" thread to me.

Lon More
10th May 2006, 09:17
Looks more for the "ATC Jobs at threat ??" thread to me.

It's also posted there

Lon More
13th May 2006, 17:31
Alwaysmovin I think you meant "be able to do all co-ordination in Dutch"

You wouldn't get far with the English; although many of them speak Double Dutch ;)

Neptune262
15th May 2006, 16:57
That is great. Now does the Dutch course contain specific ATC language or is it a general language course? Does the course have a test at the end of it, that all must pass? Or is the evaluation done on return to Ops room? What is this specified level that you talk of?

Thanks

A7700
16th May 2006, 09:08
In the not too distant future, ICAO are introducing an english language exam for all pilots & ATCO's, for which you have to be proficient to at least level 6 (out of 8) to pass. Allegedly.:confused:
-There are only 6 levels, the 6th one considered as "expert" ( Expert just mean it is your mother tongue..) and this level is required for Radiotelephony
- Everything is published in DOC9835 " Manual on the Implementation of ICAO language proficiency requirements" and the annex 1 Table 2.1 state that as of 5 march 2008 the proficiency level required ( level4) should be demonstrated by ATCo's ( through national "by law" structures)
But , despite some arrogant people have decided amongst themselves that english should be the aviation language, The ICAO language proficiency requirement should be applied for all languages agreed by ICAO in radiotelephony ,which means also:Chinese,Arabic,Russian,Spanish and French.
And some lobbying activities by -.....(Feelfree to fill)......representatives- within the E.C. try to request level 5 for "complex areas or airports"....
Before to ask for "native english language speaker" only if they can make money with....

atcSA
16th May 2006, 13:36
In Amsterdam Acc/ App you are required to do all coordination in dutch. The LVNL send new foreign atcos on an intensive dutch course before they begin their training.

What about Afrikaans? Don't they call it "Baba Hollands"?

I'm from South Africa, Do you think I will be considered?

G

P.S. Sorry about the odd post above. You are correct, it was for the "ATC jobs at threat" post. (Looking at more than window at a time!!) :ugh:

TMAguide
16th May 2006, 14:04
atcSA....ya gotta have min 5 years radar experience, EU passport before even considering Europe. You will only become marketable after your 5 year ATNS contact-if it still exists which I am sure- is completed (nobody wants you till then anyway!):ok: