PDA

View Full Version : Aerobatics Competition at Elvington Friday 28th and Sat 29th

Zulu Alpha
25th Apr 2006, 09:03
There is an aerobatics competition at Elvington this Friday and Sat.
The big boys are coming out to play with Intermediate, Advanced and Unlimited classes.
All are welcome to come and watch and/or help but please DON'T fly through the overhead while the contest is on.
Hope to see you there.
PM me if you'd like more info or someone to let you know whats going on when you get there.

Zulu Alpha
27th Apr 2006, 08:43
The weather should be good for this. PM me if you need any info or would like have someone explain the proceedings when you get there.

The airfield is open but special procedures are needed. If you come by car there is an excellent museum where you can also get lunch.

Of course any volunteer helpers are even more welcome!!!

javelin
27th Apr 2006, 13:15
Can we fly in as a visitor, if so, what is the freq ?

Zulu Alpha
27th Apr 2006, 13:30
Take a look at
http://www.elvington.biz/Aerodrome%20facilities.htm
This will tell you about the airfield.
Aerobatics will be to the north of the runway. The runway is East West so the best way is straight in on a long final. Just avoid the overhead at anything higher than 200 ft.
Talk on the radio and keep a good look out. There will only be one aircraft aerobatting at a time so it should be quieter/easier than most popular airfields on a good Sunday
Details of the competition are at
http://www.aerobatics.org.uk/sites/regelvington06.htm
I'll be there from Fri lunchtime through Sat evening. look for something with Zulu Alpha on it and come and say hello.
Regards
Zulu Alpha

MikeeB
27th Apr 2006, 14:26
Take a look at
I'll be there from Fri lunchtime through Sat evening. look for something with Zulu Alpha on it and come and say hello.
Regards
Zulu Alpha

If I can escape, I'll pop up and see you.

MikeAlphaBravo
27th Apr 2006, 14:28
Count me in ZA. I will be flying over from Barton in my not so aerobatic C150, so I guess competing is out of the question:{ One day though, when I can get my grubby mitts on a nice little S1s:)
What time do the Aeros start on the Saturday, so I can arrive in plenty of time? See you there!

Zulu Alpha
27th Apr 2006, 15:29
The start time will be decided at the 8.00 briefing. It should be around 9 or 9.30 if the vis is OK and cloudbase 2500ft or higher. Things will go on all day so don't rush.
I'm flying in the first batch on Sat am so may only have a couple of minutes spare to talk as I'll be a bit focussed on preparing for the flight. After I've flown I'll be able to talk in a more leisurely way...until the afternoon that is, when I have to do it all over again!!

MikeAlphaBravo
27th Apr 2006, 16:21
It's such a hard life ZA:D Good luck with the comp anyway. Are there any restrictions on arrival or departure times for visiting aircraft? Having never flown in to an aeros meeting before, I just want to get it all clear before I leave. Dont fancy meeting an inverted EXTRA 300 on short final!!

Zulu Alpha
28th Apr 2006, 06:33
There are no retrictions on arrival or departures, unless the operator has any evening curfew.

I would suggest setting up a 3-4 mile final and decending. Don't fly though the overhead. If you need to go around then keep on runway heading for 1-2 miles and turn to the south to retry. the aerobatics will be to the North side of the runway. Elvington is 3 km long so just avoid the North side of the runway.

This way you should be below 3-500 ft on short final and well below the aerobatics. Listen out on the radio and make blind calls if no one responds.

stiknruda
28th Apr 2006, 07:27
Good luck David, don't be beaten by the LME or by PT! Though I think that LG will probably eat your lunch :} :}

Stik

Zulu Alpha
29th Apr 2006, 21:49
Stik,

Came third after 1st Mark D and 2nd LME.

Was let down by an incident witha photocopier which didn't copy the lettering in red so a 2/4 to inverted became a half roll to inverted which I faithfully flew but got Zero for. Not that it would have made much difference.

The saying of the weekend was "Sh*t that box is small" ( Steve Green and co had prepared a marked box).

Wasn't you with a chum beetling about near Wymondham on Thursday evening. Saw two Pitts swarming around each other,. I pulled over to watch.
It was one of those evenings where I was wishing I was up there enjoying myself rather than being down there at an EEDA meeting.

ZA

stiknruda
29th Apr 2006, 22:12
Third is pretty cool, given your self assessed "buggered by zerox".

Well done!!

Thursday eve - 2 marauding Pitts' stonked my place just as I was showing the 2nd of 4 builders what life can really look like! I had loads of energy when I saw them, quickly drew lead and certainly dispatched the single seater. As I went higher to hunt #2, the single seater landed.

Hospitality got the better of me so I landed to offer the chaps tea!

See you soon

Stik