PDA

View Full Version : Assistant Controllers

cessna l plate
22nd Apr 2006, 19:24
Hi Guys
I HAVE carried out a search to no avail, so here goes

I am a 35 wannabee ppl (lost the delusions of grandeur a couple of years ago) who wants a career change. Preferably into the sharp end of aviaiton, hence these questions

What does the job entail first of all. Is there any controlling of any sort (delivery or something else that cant be stuffed up that easily?) What is a typical day like?

What sort of qualifications are needed for entry to this role?
What are the hours like?
Where do I find out about vacancies? I am particularly interested in MAN with LPL as another choice, but don't really want to commute for hours on end

What are the pluses and minuses of this job. (All jobs have them)

And the one you've been waiting for, whats the pay like? (If you don't mind me asking personal questions that is)

Thanks a lot in advance
Cessna L Plate

niknak
22nd Apr 2006, 20:08
To set the record straight, in the civilian world, there is no such beast as an "Assistant controller".
I believe that in the RAF the post exists, but in the UK its either Air Traffic control Assistant (ATCA), or in NATS, Air Traffic Services Assistant (ATSA).
NATS changed from ATCA to ATSA several years ago because they thought that any title containing the word "Control" may give these very valuable and competent members of staff, ideas beyond their station...:rolleyes:
The truth is, that ATCA or ATSA, a good one is worth their weight in gold, and can make the difference between an easy or very difficult shift, depending on how you treat them, their own experience and competence, and whether or not there is a Y in the day of the week.

OK, thats that sorted.

Qualifications - I don't know what NATS ask for, but we ( a non NATS unit) ask for 6 GCSEs with good grades in Maths/English, good all round communication skills, the ability to work individually or as a team, but most of all, the ability to adapt and use your initiative.
When we recruit, we usually seek out those who are good prospect for onward progression for ATCO training, but equally if someone wants to make a career as an ATCA it won't go against them.

When doing the actual job, you work under the supervision of the senior ATCO on duty, although a large degree of intiative is required, this will be laid down by the unit manager and in accordance with your training at the unit.
You will be given responsibilities, but these vary from unit to unit and ultimately you will always be "supervised" by an ATCO.

Pluses? Every day is different, its very interesting work which you can't take home with you, and there just may be the opportunity to progress if that's what you want to do.
Minuses? Very few, shift work buggers up your social life and occassionally you'll go home thinking you couldnt be any more tired, that's about it really.

Pay, in NATS I haven't a clue, non NATS - it isn't what it was, expect around £13K to start with rising to £18K.

Now for the reallity check:

Where do I find out about vacancies? Well I'm sorry mate, I would have thought that at 35 years old, if you were really interested in ATC, you would have taken the initiative and written to MAN and LPL, checked local papers, the internet or the Beano.

Get yer arse into gear and good luck....

RAC/OPS
22nd Apr 2006, 20:16
Cessna, check yr pm's!

happ1ness
22nd Apr 2006, 20:34
One of the best jobs about. A good assistant is worth their weight in gold. I think Niknak has made a very good assessment of whats entailed.
Try visiting a few units and and speak to some of the staff. The shifts can be a pain when it comes to social life but lots of useful time available during the day if you work shifts.
As an ex Area and Aerodrome assistant and now a controller you'll find it overall a great job and as said before no day the same.
Good Luck and start getting ready for any interviews.

chevvron
23rd Apr 2006, 12:43
The RAF call them AATC's (Assistant Air Traffic Controllers) and at an airfield, they usually operate the frequency controlling vehicles on the airfield; doesn't sound much but its essential and relieves the controller of a bit of workload in emergency situations.
Just to muddy the waters, in the Navy, there is a post called 'Aircraft Controller'. I'm willing to be corrected on this, but the post is open to ratings ie junior non-commisioned types, and they actually provide radar services to aircraft from on board ships; I don't think they're allowed to do it on land, but as I said, I'm willing to be corrected.

geezerBJ
23rd Apr 2006, 19:54
RAF Assistants changed their title from AATC to FOA (Flight Operations Assistant) or FOM (Flight Operations Manager) about 10 years ago.
The job entails slightly more than 'operating the radio to talk to vehicles' in a random control tower !! The job is extremely varied, ie FOA's can be expected to work in Airfield Operations, ATC, Flight Planning, Flying Squadrons, Area Radar Units, Air Weapons Ranges, Plans, AIDU, AIS etc etc :8

wiccan
24th Apr 2006, 00:27
niknak,
The "reason" for the change from ATCA to ATSA was an amalgamation of the ATCA and STPO grades....in NATS at least.
As an "ATCA", I went to the ATC Colledge at Hurn, to do a weeks' course on "Teleprinter Things" :rolleyes: Then I did a "validation" course at my Unit.
The STPOs, [I think] just had a "familiarisation course" at their unit :confused: .
I do agree that a good ATSA is a "good thing"..... How else would you get your Tea and Toast/Bikkies served to you? :ok:
bb

cessna l plate
24th Apr 2006, 12:28
Thanks for the information.

As for getting my khyber in gear, this is it. You see I am in a well paid job now, and cannot afford to drop salary one penny. That doesn't change the fact that I am bored to tears with it, having done the same thing day in day out for 5 years! The answers I got, especially niknak, showed me what a change it could be, and something that I might want, but I need the starting salaery to be in the 18k region to pay my mortgage. This basically narrows it down to MAN only as this is the only NATS tower in the area, based on the assumption that they pay more.

I will be writing to them soon, in the meantine thanks again

Angrel
24th Apr 2006, 15:00
chevvron: were now called Flight Operation Assistants (FOA) in the RAF! However I am coming over to the civvie world so look out!