PDA

View Full Version : Paragliding

whatdoesthisbuttondo
21st Apr 2006, 13:26
Does anyone here do it?

I'm looking at having a go. Probably at one of the schools in the south downs.

Has anyone used any of them or can anyone recommend one.

I think I'll try a one or two day course first and then look at it again.

Can you go most days or do you need very specific weather conditions?

Thanks all.

RudeNot2
21st Apr 2006, 14:43
I did a weeks course in the french alps a few years ago now and the week culminated with a few flights from 1000m which was fantastic. I can't for the life of me remember the name of the company that I went with but it was very well organised.

The course was based out of a small town called Morzine and there is plenty of scope on non-flying days for other activities such as moutain biking climbing, walking or drinking!!

Dave

whatdoesthisbuttondo
21st Apr 2006, 15:02
Do you still paraglide now?

RudeNot2
21st Apr 2006, 21:38
Unfortunately not.. Something I may try again after I have gained my PPL (A).

It is wonderful feeling flying with no form of power source and having the wind in your face.. Just need to watch out for fences and any animals that may be present in your chosen landing area.... no chance of a go-around.

Dave

afghanhound
24th Apr 2006, 09:02
I am a 500hr PPL pilot who took up Paragliding some years ago and have now stopped!! I did a course in UK, France and Nepal. I loved the concept of paragliding and had some good times but reached a stage where I had to invest in my own kit and decided that I didnt like it that much to spend $3000 which I would rather spend flying an aircraft. The bottom line is that if you are UK based then your flying time is limited and it is going to takie some time to fly competently. There has to be less than 10knots of wind to learn! Also unless you have friends who paraglide with you, it is a pretty anti social sport. Not much fun watching other people paragliding! Far better to take them up in an aircraft with you. It is a great sport though but be aware like all '"éxtreme'' sports-it is dangerous. Get the landing or take off wrong or the wind changes and you will know about it.

Let me know how you get on!

tangovictor
24th Apr 2006, 10:03
Anyone interested I picked up details at Earls Court, there's a UK school, based at www.skyschool-uk.co.uk
they are in Wiltshire

Confabulous
24th Apr 2006, 11:55
Very simple solution to all that sink - paramotoring.

got caught
24th Apr 2006, 14:21
I used to own my own canopy about 20 yrs ago. Fantastic sport, which combined the thrill of flying, with a love of being on the mountainside.

I used to fly with a group in Derbyshire called "DMC," a great bunch of characters.

A lot of the time is spent on the hillside, in fact I remember some times only spending 2-3 minutes in the air per day, waiting for the wind direction to come on slope.

I gave it up, 'cos I wasn't that good at it. I found that you needed a fair degree of fitness, and agility, which I just didn't have. Also recieved a few relatively minor injuries (broken finger/smashed knee), which, through luck alone, could have been worse.

Having said all that, when you got it right, it was pure magic !!

Try a starter course with a school:)

whatdoesthisbuttondo
25th Apr 2006, 20:52
Thanks all for the replies.

I think I'll try a tandem first or a two day introductory course.

It seems a bit more 'extreme' than I first thought.

I had this image of loafing around in the air relaxing watching the world go by but it looks like there is a little more to it than that.

Bring on the summer!