PDA

View Full Version : advice on flight to york

BongleBear
17th Apr 2006, 20:41
hi all, ive recently been asked to fly a couple of my mates to york and back and would like your advice on which airfield to choose. ideally id like it to be close to the centre of york as possible, and we'd be flying from old sarum (salisbury) in either an arrow or a warrior.
thanks all, b.bear

L-Band
17th Apr 2006, 21:06
Rufforth is the nearest however you will have to get permission from the Gliding Club as they do not encourage powered a/c.
Elvington is not to far away, contact the Yorkshire Museum for permisssion.
Both phone numbers are in the Pooleys.

L

Flock1
17th Apr 2006, 21:35
What about Full Sutton? You can virtually see York from the overhead.

Pilotdom
17th Apr 2006, 21:37
Rufforth, Elvington,you could check out the museum there! or Full sutton!

Zulu Alpha
18th Apr 2006, 18:50
I usually use Rufforth as it is normally manned during the day. Elvington is not normally manned.

Rufforth will call you a taxi whereas you need to call your own at Elvington.

Rufforth have fuel Elvington only have it if there is something happening and the airfield is being used.

The taxi cost is about the same.

Rufforth is a gliding field but powered aircraft are quite welcome. Give them a call before you go.

helicopter-redeye
18th Apr 2006, 19:45
You could use Sherburn and take the train into York, it would prob the less cost than taxis from Elv or Ruffs.

Johnm
18th Apr 2006, 19:50
I've been into Rufforth in an Arrow 4 with no problem, though I wasn't fully laden and wouldn't have liked to be. They were very friendly, but I did (and recommend you do) ring them in advance for PPR and a briefing.

I was visiting Harrogate and I think York's nearer.

CDH
18th Apr 2006, 21:37
Bongle
Plan B, If the weathers bad, you could always use the ILS at Fenton.
PM me if you need the plate.

When you thinking of coming oop Norf BTW?

ps Don't forget SB notification, visa's & innoculations....:eek:

BongleBear
19th Apr 2006, 07:37
thanks for the advice, we'll be pushing the max weight as it is so i think plan b will be leeds bradford! any idea on runway lengths at suggested airfields- arrow at max weight going to get in?? we'll be up end of may or early june, we will of course consult our doctors and have the appropriate jabs- is the plague still a problem north of watford? and you have working toilets up there now dont you?

Rod1
19th Apr 2006, 08:47
I do not have the exact length of Elvington, but it is 1000’s of meters of tarmac! The taxi is no problem as the museum will be open and can arrange one.

Rod1

Leezyjet
19th Apr 2006, 14:25
If you do end up in LBA, take a taxi to Horsforth train station, (realy p's the taxi drivers off as it's only a short journey - but hey ho) and you can get a train to York from there - just check out the times on www.thetrainline.com though as some only go as far as Harrogate.

Alternatively, you can take a train into Leeds then change for York there.

:)

mcgoo
19th Apr 2006, 16:57
we will of course consult our doctors and have the appropriate jabs- is the plague still a problem north of watford? and you have working toilets up there now dont you?

why i oughta.......:mad: :mad: :mad:

CDH
19th Apr 2006, 17:56
we'll be pushing the max weight as it is so i think plan b will be leeds bradford! any idea on runway lengths at suggested airfields-

Sherburn 830m tarmac, LFee £6 (usually waived if uplifting fuel iirc) 100 LL £0.98/L last week.
Full Sutton 722m Grass, LFee £5, 100LL by arrangement.
Elvington 3018m Tarmac (YES 3 thousand metres How heavy is the arrer ??) LFee ?
Rufforth 1200m tarmac, LFee ?
Leeds Bradford 2250m Tarmac, LFee & MANDATORY handling =£ a small mortgage..

CH

BongleBear
20th Apr 2006, 10:24
leeds bradford it is then, ive just joined 'the high pay airline' so i can easily afford the landing and handling fee....:}

studentpilotmcuk
20th Apr 2006, 17:08
Hi if all else fails try Bagby.. I hear they do great breakfasts there too

Regards SPMC