PDA

View Full Version : Returning to flying after a break!

Hersham Boy
8th Apr 2006, 06:43
Hi all - long time, no see...

I've had a bit of a flying break (too much work, built a car, expecting a baby etc.) and I'm not in a bit of a sweat about what I need to do t oget back airborne!

I passed my PPL in October 2002, did not manage to fly the required hours over the next 24 months and flew another 4 hours or so with an instructor in Sept 2005 (when I needed to reval my licence) but never actually did the revalidating flight.

It's now Apr 2006 and my medical is up in May.

What do I need to do to get back up (apart from renew my medical, clearly)? Is it still just a revalidation flight?

Thanks in advance

Hersh

BEagle
8th Apr 2006, 07:42
You will need to fly a SEP Class Rating renewal LST with a Flight Examiner. Nowadays this also includes some navigation; however, the actual navigation content is left to the Examiner's discretion having taken into account your recent flying. So, do some refresher training, then the renewal LST. Your Rating will then be valid for 2 years from the date of test and you can use it as soon as the FE signs the certificate in your licence.

You won't need to resit any exams; neither will you need to pay anything to the CAA. Just the Examiner's fee and cost of a/c hire.

Check the front of your licence; if you passed in Oct 2002, it will need to be re-issued before Oct 2007. To do that, you must have a current SEP Class Rating and medical, complete a form SRG1102 (available on line)...........and pay the extortionate re-issue fee (the Belgrano call it a renewal fee - it isn't, they don't even use their own terminology correctly :rolleyes: ), which is currently £63.

AerBabe
8th Apr 2006, 15:58
Welcome back to the fold, Hersh.

And if you ever feel like popping into the Weald, bring my books with you! :}

Kolibear
10th Apr 2006, 11:41
Good to hear from you again Hersh, I did wonder where you'd got to.