PDA

View Full Version : Forced landings (yet again)

QDMQDMQDM
7th Apr 2006, 14:46
This is an interesting thread on the subject with a lot of first-hand experience:

http://www.supercub.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=9957

The video of prop stopped and prop windmilling descent rates in the Super Cub is instructive -- doesn't seem to make much difference.

QDM

robin
7th Apr 2006, 15:34
Very interesting.

I find it difficult to relate to the use of figures in calculating the glide.

In my gliding days when the Swallow or Capstan was the epitome of performance, we used the 45 degree rule - ie if your field was in the arc subtended from immediately below you to halfway to the horizon - you could reach it. Any flatter and you were stuffed.

Use of angles was great in that it was independent of height - very useful for x/c flight and landing 'aux vaches'

Since I started in power and use strips rather than airfields, that skill has served me well.

nipper1
7th Apr 2006, 20:03
In my Nipper I have an even simpler rule: if you can see the field you can't get to it!. The best field is usually the one directly below you.

If (as I did) you do PFLs in Australia, ther are just that - landings. It certainly focuses the mind to make sure you really get the wheels on the ground in the right place. This experience almost ceretainly saved my bacon when the engine quit at 200 feet as I tried to fly away from a 'British' PFL.

High Wing Drifter
7th Apr 2006, 20:21
Was taught some good stuff in the CPL course, far more aggressive manouevres to get into the best field. Trouble is I just don't practice them properly when P1. I can say that the run up to the CPL test was the only time I actually practiced PFLs solo. Crazy that I seem to value a test pass more than my existance :\