PDA

View Full Version : Taking a GA flight in England (2)

MSBGAPilot
6th Apr 2006, 00:42
I just finalized my plans. I will be staying at Jurys Kensington from April 19th to April 28th. I do plan on seeing many of the sights London has to offer. I will not be renting a vehicle I will mainly use public transportation and bicycling. I see what you mean about the cost of general aviation flying in the UK vs US. Here I can rent a Cessne 172 wet from our local FBO for $75US(43UK) per hour. The club planes are even less expensive. For the funds to fly I am an Electrician for the State of Wisconsin Prison System.
I would still like to rent an C172 with a local Pilot of CFI. Is White Waltham going to be my best bet for this. My wife and daughter are staying home this trip, my wife just returned from Hawaii. I will be traveling with a friend(non-pilot) who also would like to visit London.
Thanks.
If anyone ever travels to EAA here in Oshkosh I usually open up my home to visitors. I live about 7 miles from the airport on Lake Winnebago. I've been doing this for about 11 years and quit charging people 9 years ago. We've always become good friends and I love meeting and hearing other people aviation stories.

Aussie Andy
6th Apr 2006, 06:51
G'day fella, well I hope you have a geat time visiting London. I would offer to take you flying myself while you're here but it looks like I will be away on business in the US (ironically) during your dates.

But I am will be surprised if there is no-one on PPRuNe local to London who wouldn't be able to help you out.

I would suggest that you also post your message with title "visiting yank looking for flight in London" on another forum which is specific to the UK: forums.flyer.co.uk (http://forums.flyer.co.uk)

I am sure you will enjoy how different the landscape looks from the air here versus the US...

Good luck!

Andy :ok:

BEagle
6th Apr 2006, 07:54
An electrician from the Wisconsin State Prison System? Electrician?? You don't fix the 'chairs', do you? :p

White Waltham does have a C172SP. Have a look at http://www.wlac.co.uk . But the rate will be about 4 times what you're used to....

To get to White Waltham, walk to South Kensington undeground station from your hotel. Take the Circle Line to Paddington station (5 stops after South Ken.), then a train to Maidenhead. White Waltham aerodrome is only 4 miles from the station, so a bus or taxi is probably your best option.

dwshimoda
6th Apr 2006, 08:01
I'm pretty snowed under at the moment with work and ATPL's, but if no one else can help you, I don't mind bunking off work early to do an hour or two with you one evening from 23rd - 28th. I've got a 172 based at Cranfield (EGTC) which is about 50 miles north of London, but you could get a train to Milton Keynes & we could go from there.

Drop me a PM if that appeals.

DW.

Brooklands
7th Apr 2006, 12:58
Here I can rent a Cessne 172 wet from our local FBO for $75US(43UK) per hour
Over here that would only just cover you for the fuel a 172 will use in an hour :{ :{

As BEagle said prices round the London area are likely to be around four times what you're paying. As well as White Waltham there's Wycombe Air Park (aka Booker), which is reasonably accessible from London: Marylebone -> High Wycombe by train then a taxi or possible a bus to the airfield which is about four miles from the station. One of the clubs there Wycombe Air Centre (http://www.wycombeaircentre.co.uk) operate C-152s and C-172s (of which three are 172 SPs).

I hope you get the chance to fly in England, wherever you choose to fly from
Brooklands

BroomstickPilot
7th Apr 2006, 13:25
MSBGAPilot,
General Principle: Any club or FTO anywhere near London is going to be pricey. You have to go more than 50 miles outside London before the prices come down. The only exception to this, to the West of London, and that I know of is Firecrest (see my comments below). As a rule, you wil have to pay the hourly rate, a club temporary membership and perhaps landing fees.
Watch out: in a lot of places you have to pay a landing fee every time your wheels touch the ground. Added onto your hourly rate, this can mount up alarmingly.
White Waltham is definitely one of the nicest clubs around London, but also one of the most expensive. Do check on what you will have to pay for your temporary membership and hire charges and shop around before deciding. They also have stringent noise abatement procedures there.
Booker has two clubs, British Airways and Booker Air Centre: both good, but again check on prices first.
The cheapest club I know of within reasonable travel of Central London is the Firecrest Club at Elstree. It doesn't have the splendid clubhouse that White Waltham has, nor the facilities of Booker. It is member-run by volunteers and has older aeroplanes. That's why it is less expensive. This would be my own personal choice West of London.
The Pilot Centre at Denham has a very nice fleet of aeroplanes and Denham is a very pretty little field, but again they're not cheap so check on the cost.

In case you're wondering; I fly from Old Sarum, but that's too far away from London for you.

Broomstick.

Bahn-Jeaux
8th Apr 2006, 09:48
An electrician from the Wisconsin State Prison System? Electrician?? You don't fix the 'chairs', do you?

Heard the one about the electrician sacked for refusing to repair the electric chair.

He said, "I'm not touching that, its a death trap"

Okay, ..Hat, coat, door....................mumble mutter.