PDA

View Full Version : European Intensive Courses

Londonboy29
1st Apr 2006, 16:13
Chaps...I'm currently doing the PPL bookwork and plan a 3 week intensive inm August.
I initially wanted to go to the US, but to be honest would prefer Euroipe.
Would anyone know of any European school which could do an intensive, within a resnable price?
Many thanks and regards.
LB

Ultranomad
1st Apr 2006, 17:27
I am trying to organize this kind of operation in Czech Republic. Initially, the idea was to establish a co-op with revolving membership, which would buy its own plane, hire an instructor, and let the members get whatever training they need on a non-profit basis. However, because of an immense bureaucratic burden involved, this will rather be an arrangement with an existing school. So far, the lowest price around for a 45-hour program is either 150000 CZK (that is, about 5250 EUR or 3700 GBP) for training only, within the city limits of Prague, or 170000 CZK (6000 EUR, 4150 GBP) for training and accommodation at the airfield (room + kitchen), some 1,5 hours from Prague. However, if there are at least 10 candidates eager to do it this year, we can do it substantially cheaper. The only thing I somewhat doubt is the 3-week thing. American schools do indeed offer 3-week programs, but you have to be REALLY dedicated to this and probably have some prior experience. 15 hours a week is probably a reasonable limit of flight hours for initial training, thus a 3-week term leaves you no leeway if anything goes wrong. Don't forget scheduling issues and possible bad weather, either.
Well, anyway, whoever is interested, drop me a line!

18greens
1st Apr 2006, 19:13
Any club will offer you an intensive course. The instructors will be glad of an attentive pupil the club will be glad of the continuity (money).
As Anton has wisely said, doing it in 3 weeks is a big push. Even in glorious August the high pressures can reduce the viz to less then perfect. No one can guarantee a 3 week course (except maybe Arizona) because it rains everywhere, even florida.
If you go elsewhere the flying may be cheaper but you have travel and have accomodation to pay for so is it cheaper. If you overrrun how much will it cost???? Can you carry on at weekends afterwards?
Headline prices seem cheap but at the end of the day what does it really cost?
As a friend of mine said, buy cheap, buy twice.

BroomstickPilot
2nd Apr 2006, 08:07
Anton K,

What else does your establishment offer, besides PPL, Anton?

Broomstick.

Ultranomad
2nd Apr 2006, 08:22
Well, it's not an "establishment", at least yet. Right now the mode of operation is like this: gather a team of candidates, see what they want, try to negotiate a good deal with an existing school. The reason I am doing this is that I am a newcomer to this country and need to establish a network of contacts and learn the ins and outs. And, of course, I need a good deal for my own hour building, too. Want to join? Write down your wish list :-)