PDA

View Full Version : Taking a GA flight in England

MSBGAPilot
31st Mar 2006, 22:51
Greetings, My name is Mark Ballwanz from Oshkosh Wisconsin, and I am a private pilot with 100 hours. I will be visiting England during the last 2 weeks in April 2006. I would like info on logging some time during my visit with either a private pilot or CFI. During my visit I would like to see some tourist sites and also visit some local Pubs and just meet people. I need a low stress vacation to relax and enjoy. If anyone could suggest an airfield to fly from and/or a place to stay it would be greatly appreciated.

BEagle
1st Apr 2006, 05:53
Wellesbourne Mountford (EGBW) in Warwickshire!

1. You can fly direct from the US to nearby Birmingham (BHX) airport.

2. Wellesbourne is in the heart of Shakespeare country and is surrounded by pubs, villages and close to the Cotswolds.

3. The aerodrome is 100% GA and very friendly.

4. There is plenty of unrestricted airspace nearby, although to the north and north west lies the Birmingham Control Area.

5. See http://www.wellesbourneairfield.com/ for full details. It also lists nearby accommodation!

6. The Touchdown cafe serves good food at good prices - and is favoured by pilots, local motorcycle enthusiasts and 'British Bobbies' alike!

7. If you're lucky, you might even see the Vulcan taxying!

I would avoid the expensive South East of the UK as the airspace is much more complex! But do remember that the cost of private flying is considerably more expensive in Europe than in the US!

(I have no commercial interest in Wellesbourne - this isn't a free advert, just a plug for an excellent little aerodrome in the heart of England!)

BroomstickPilot
1st Apr 2006, 06:29
MSBGAPilot,

Can you please tell us a little more about your visit? Where will you be staying? Will you be remaining in one place, (perhaps with relatives,) or will you be touring, if so in which region?

Bear in mind that although geographical distances in the UK are small by American standards, travel is more difficult and much more expensive. Add to this the sheer unreliability of UK weather, (which causes 50% or more of flying bookings to be cancelled) and you really need to be staying within about 50 miles maximum of the place from which you intend to fly.

Hence, while not in any way doubting Beagle's comments on Wellesbourne, it is after all just one of very many good clubs all over the UK and we need to know whereabouts you will be staying before we can advise you.

What do you want to fly? Will you be content to fly the ubiquitous Cessna/Piper types, or would you like to try something local, like a Bulldog, a Firefly or a Tiger Moth?

Do you want to fly over spectacular scenery, in which case you may be better with clubs in Wales or Scotland or Northern Ireland? Or do you want to fly close to London, so as to be near the main tourist honeypots? Bear in mind that Ireland and the Western side of this island is much wetter than the East.

Broomstick.

gcolyer
1st Apr 2006, 08:35
You could stay on the Isle of Man which is off the NW coast of England and NE Ireland It is then just a case of picking England Scotland Ireland or Wales to fly to, all within 30-40 minutes flying time. Thats if you dont mind an average of 30-50 miles over sea flight.

The airport is Ronaldsway, the local flying club is Manx Aero Flyers (ravenair).

Trouble with the Isle of Man is the weather, it is not overly nice is one way of puting it.

Gary.

BEagle
1st Apr 2006, 09:50
The question specifically mentioned GA flying in England. Whilstt he scenery in Wales and Scotland, for example, might be more attractive than some parts of England as you suggest, please (as we say to PPL exam candidates) RTFQ!

Paris Dakar
1st Apr 2006, 10:28
BEagle,

Bit harsh old boy :ooh:

Many Americans refer to the UK as 'England' in general (apologies Irish, Welsh and Scottish PPRuNers) terms but that's a fact.

I do agree that it would be most helpful if 'MSBGAPilot' advised us of his port of entry, and whether he does intend to seek out the many delights of the 'full' UK?

Over to you 'MSBGAPilot'....

effortless
1st Apr 2006, 10:46
Does the Cambridge Flying Group still do trial flights? A ton for an hour-ish in a Tiger Moth must be the bargain of the century. Lovely chaps too as I remember. Bloody C130s a nuisance when you taxi behind an engine test though.:uhoh:

No_Speed_Restriction
1st Apr 2006, 12:33
I thought Wales was located in W. England:confused:

fernytickles
1st Apr 2006, 12:37
I spoke to Mark yesterday, having got a message through my work that he was trying to find out info about flying in the UK. 'Twas me who suggested he post on here as I'm not familiar with the GA scene any further south than Breighton. I did explain to him how much more expensive it is to fly in the UK than over here.

I hoped that he would get lots of pointers for small, friendly airports where the chat is good when the weather is not, and the flyiing is as good as the chat. I hadn't thought about the Tigermoth option, Broomstick, thanks for that one.

Mark, I have just thought of the Grace Spitfire. I don't know if she still does it (someone on here will, I'm sure) but you used to be able to fly with Caroline Grace in her two place Spitfire (for lots of money) from Duxford.

GusHoneybun
1st Apr 2006, 12:38
I thought Wales was located in W. England:confused:

that's what our welsh cousin's like to think.......:{

BEagle
1st Apr 2006, 12:49
Err, no.

It would be unwise to make such a statement in the 'Land devoid of vowels'!

fernytickles
1st Apr 2006, 12:56
Oooops - I forgot to tell Mark about bacon butties. I know there was a discussion on here about where the best bacon buttie can be found. Perhaps that can be included in the list of best airports/flying clubs for a visitor from the US?

BEagle
1st Apr 2006, 12:57
Wellesbourne for bacon butties as well!

cessna l plate
1st Apr 2006, 14:36
Nope. Sorry. If we are going down the bacon buttie road than the ones at Sleap are beyond reproach.

Somewhere like Sleap would be a good spot. Freindly club house. A nice little museum and pretty central for anywhere really, but in the open FIR. Wins on many different levels really.
No I don't fly out of there, just appreciate a great little field, that's all

eharding
1st Apr 2006, 21:22
If you're going to be in London for the vacation, then consider White
Waltham - great food, club atmosphere & plenty of interesting flying
to be had.

In terms of great pubs (clubhouse aside) , the "Bell" at Waltham
St. Lawrence (just on the edge of the circuit pattern) has the best
beer for miles and is about as historic as it gets.....lots of old pubs are
called "The Shakespeare" in honour of the Bard, but when the Bell
was built Will S. was still a twinkle in his great-great-great grandfather's eye.
Probably.

BroomstickPilot
2nd Apr 2006, 08:04
Fernytickles,

I think your friend will be unlikely to get to fly the Grace Spit. I think he'll find it's booked up for yonks in advance. Everybody and his dog wants to fly it and understandably so. If he wants to fly that, I suggest contact should be made with the owner AT ONCE.

Broomstick.

Whirlybird
2nd Apr 2006, 08:41
Of the airfields I know (in the UK as a whole).....

Sleap is nice, but pretty dead except at weekends, sometimes anyway. It's also not the greatest plance for sightseeing, aerial or otherwise.

Welshpool ditto.

Wellesbourne...I'm inclined to agree with BEagle on this. Small enough to be friendly, but several flying schools. Usually plenty of people around. Good cafe. Loads to see, as BEagle has said.

Shobdon - also good cafe and friendly, but a bit in the middle of nowhere for other types of sightseeing

Tatenhill - small, friendly, but cafe only open at weekends and a bit dead in the week. Near Alton Towers and all the scenery and stately homes of the Peak District, so good for sightseeing, especially from the air.

Places I don't know so well, but might be good...

I'm supprised no-one has mentioned Kemble - friendly, great cafe, nice area with Cotswolds etc nearly. Don't know what flying schools are like.

Old Sarum always seems like a real GA airfield, friendly etc, and near Salisbury, but I don't know it well.

I'll post any more if I think of them - I've been to enough airfields so I ought to be able to think of somewhere else.

effortless
2nd Apr 2006, 09:58
Shoreham and Goodwood have to be mentioned as well. Shoreham has loads going on but the bacon butties aren't great. The terminal is wonderful. There is a good selection of clubs/schools to choose from and VFR along the coast in either direction is lovely. If you have the wallet then there is a T6 to have a go in. Goodwood is less busy but friendly and in easy flying time of more castles etc..

IO540
2nd Apr 2006, 10:01
The original poster wanted a "low stress vacation". I don't think that going into Wellesbourne on a nice sunny Sunday is a "low stress vacation" :O

It's a complete free for all down there sometimes, and that is for me who can at least more or less speak English :O

Shoreham is good due to the proximity of Brighton; which is a really nice town with lots of "culture" and stuff going on.

fernytickles
2nd Apr 2006, 13:38
Broomstick, thanks for that - good news for Mrs Grace!

The only names I could think of were Andrewsfield, Booker, Goodwood, Lasham, North Weald and Headcorn, but apart from knowing their names, I know very little about them, or the quality of their bacon butties....

Whirlybird
2nd Apr 2006, 15:05
But Wellesbourne in the week is not overcrowded, even on sunny days. ANY airfield in Britain is high stress if one of our few sunny days happens to coincide with a Sunday. :O

kevmusic
3rd Apr 2006, 00:22
HI MSBGAPilot!

You have a lot of options now! Vis-a-vis decent English pubs, a sojourn in Notttingham city centre will take you to the "Trip to Jerusalem" http://www.triptojerusalem.com/index.php?page=the_pub

I was there only once, in the 80s, but the room I was in featured walls and ceiling covered with the signatures of 8th Air Force aircrew. You may want to check it out. Not sure of the quality of bacon butties at local airfields but I'm sure other PPruners will be happy to advise! :bored: :hmm:

Enjoy your trip to England's green and pleasant land.

Kev.

martinidoc
4th Apr 2006, 09:13
For stress free flying, glorious unspoilt countryside and coastlines, not to mention pubs, bacon butties and much more, I recommend the NE of England.
Base yourself in Newcastle. (You can fly there via London, Amsterdam or Paris from the US ). Accommodation cheap. Northumbria Flying School is based at Newcastle Airport, which has full navigation facilities to reduce the chance of weather cancellations. You have easy access to airfields in Carlisle, Durham/Tees, North Yorks and Scotland. Self Fly Hire and Dual Instructor rates much more competetive than down South or in the Midlands, and very little controlled airspace around, so the skies are yours to relax in.
Variety of A/C types, you might even be able to hitch a ride in the Newcastle jet provost.

CaptMitch
9th Apr 2006, 15:02
I would recommend North Weald, an airfield steeped in WWII history and full of character north of London and near to Stansted airport. This place could provide a great base for many sightseeing trips and when you come back, sample a few beers in their original Squadron bar. I believe there are several flying groups based there but try these guys: www.northwealdflyinggroup.co.uk (http://www.northwealdflyinggroup.co.uk)

davidatter708
9th Apr 2006, 17:31
Obviously he wants to come to leicester middle of the Uk and the best bacon by far. Also very friendly. It seems to be pitts central as well but we wont go into that
david
www.leicestershireaeroclub (http://www.leicestershireaeroclub).com