PDA

View Full Version : Very interesting book!

Kengineer-130
31st Mar 2006, 01:29
Just a quick reccomendation, I am reading a book at the moment called "Mechanics of flight", by A.C Kermode, 10th edition. Its very interesting, and although there is a lot of maths and formulae, it is well written and raises a lot of intersting points! Anyone else read anything good recently? :ok:

Sunfish
31st Mar 2006, 04:04
"Stick and Rudder" is also a classic, especially for those mathematically challenged. I'll look for the Kermode book though, thanks for the heads up.

MyData
31st Mar 2006, 10:45
I used Kermode during my PPL training as it provided a more thorough grounding than found in the Trevor Thom's - although they too are useful.

I have in my hand a copy of Stick and Rudder, just bought for some light holiday reading in a few weeks time.

And as a personal recommendation I'd like to suggest The Killing Zone : How and Why Pilots Die. A not very jolly title for a very informative book.

Last Christmas I received a copy of "Ask the Pilot - Everything you need to know about air travel". A bit tongue in cheek as a gift, but a lightweight read about the industry.

18greens
31st Mar 2006, 10:52
Kermodes 'Flight without formulae' also makes a good read. Loads better than Stick and Rudder .

Ultranomad
1st Apr 2006, 19:29
A very interesting online book is "See how it flies (http://www.av8n.com/how/)". It is a very insightful book on flight mechanics written by John Denker, physics-professor-cum-flight-instructor.