PDA

View Full Version : tour america

bolty_1000
29th Mar 2006, 17:17
all,

has anyone done a recent hour building tour of america? im off to the states for 5 weeks to hour build and am looking to make the trip as exciting and productive as possible!!

its going to be limited to florida, alabama and georgia so if anyone has any useful tips/good airfields to visit/websites/books to direct me to it would be much appreciated!!

cheers

PilotsPal
29th Mar 2006, 19:32
Keygrip and Tinstaafl (both Florida based) might be of some assistance. I'm sure neither of them would mind if you got in touch.

Henry Hallam
29th Mar 2006, 20:42
River Ranch Resort (2RR) in central Florida is a lovely place to visit. You can hire a golf cart for $5 and go fishing, shooting, archering, airboating, crazy golf, and they have a decent restaurant and a couple of bars. Phone them beforehand because most of the activities are only open on some days in the week, I forget which days.

fernytickles
30th Mar 2006, 03:38
Have you done a search on here as there have been plenty of intrepid adventurers before you doing similar trips. www.airnav.com is full of useful info. Don't forget to visit Sun & Fun - 4-10 (I think) April. Its a busy arrival procedure, but don't be put off, I flew in there for the first time by mistake (despite a VFR flightplan and full FSS briefing, they missed the part about the HUGE big airshow at the airport I was planning to land at for fuel :uhoh: ). I would recommend downloading a copy of the notams & arrival procedures in advance tho' - it makes things much easier :)

How about making a list of aviation museums that you can visit from the airports? I've heard Cedar Key is very pretty. Key West requires 24 hours minimum recovery time between checking out the bars and returning to the air, just as a precaution :ok:

Have fun :)

bolty_1000
30th Mar 2006, 11:50
excellent! thanks very much!! yes, key west is high on my list (definatley with at least 24hrs recovery :mad: )......as is river ranch and cedar key!!

cheers for the help guys!!

fernytickles
30th Mar 2006, 11:55
I forgot, the night airshow at SnF is well worth going to, can't remember which night, but its usually Fri or Sat. Check out their website, that has all the arrival procedures too.

What's a Girdler
30th Mar 2006, 12:13
Was in Florida last week, cool place, went to Cedar Key parked the wrong way round and got a parking ticket, when i read under vehicle make, the word Skyhawk was used, i am now framing it in my lavatory! You get a taxi which is Florida's most famous, it's held together by ducktape and i understand she has been driving it for 40 years! Everglades is good, well worth the trip and St Augustine is good if you like a little Spanish Colonial culture. I flew with Sunstate Aviation at Kissimmee and can't recommend them enough! Brilliant!