PDA

View Full Version : Colour Vision Question

Meekel
28th Mar 2006, 21:56
I read over http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=129882 but it was mainly to do with pilots.

I'm still at school and looking into a career in Air Traffic Controlling. My colour vision isn't too bad but I am 'officially' colour blind (red and green)

Would this affect me a lot? I believe my colour is getting better and tests online I usually get most correct.

TIA

-Mike

45 before POL
28th Mar 2006, 22:11
Unfortunately colour blindness does play a part in our licensing as well. The medical for pilots and controllers as far as i know is the same, However there is a class 1 and 2 medicals(both vary) However i have known people that were colour blind (or so they thought ) to be found not to be, as under controlled enviroments, light can play tricks. Also there are different levels of colour blindness. Best way for sure is to contact the medical branch of the CAA at Gatwick.

Meekel
28th Mar 2006, 22:27
Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm from Edinburgh and at my age I think I'll wait a while ;-) I'm thinking of getting another colour test soon when I get my next eye test.

SM4 Pirate
28th Mar 2006, 23:38
Most medical standards require passing the ishihara plate test; some still use the farnsworth lantern test.

There are other options for current licence holders, but for initial issue you have to pass one of those above, usually the plate test.

foghorn
29th Mar 2006, 07:54
Colour blind people are normally prohibited from becoming ATCOs or Instrument/night-rated pilots, I'm afraid (you can hold a daytime VMC only PPL though).

From what I understand, the Ishihara is used initially as a quick test for colour blindness, if you fail that but seem borderline there are various lantern tests that are definitive.

I've heard of people who fail Ishihara pass the lantern test and so get a medical certificate, so it's not necessarily the end of the world. Have a chat with an AME for the definitive story, or better still the AMC at Gatwick.

Ali Bongo
29th Mar 2006, 08:26
Foghorn - I am one of those !:ok:

I can't pass the test where you have to read the numbers out of the book as I am borderline colour blind. Its all a messy blur to me!

However when I did my original medical down at Gatwick (about 8 years ago), I obviously failed the book check but then passed the lanterns. So depending on the severity (it never changes through your life), you could be ok! :ok:

Anyway, off to get ready for work. Think I will wear my yellow / orange / blue combo as I think it looks nice! :confused:

Meekel
29th Mar 2006, 11:11
In the test shown on http://www.toledo-bend.com/colorblind/Ishihara.html I am able to get 4 out of the six correct. While as if I was colour blind I shuld only be able to get 2 correct.

I believe my colour vision isn't too bad.

RomeoTangoFoxtrotMike
29th Mar 2006, 14:16
You may wish to take a look at www.city.ac.uk/avrc/colourtest.html (http://www.city.ac.uk/avrc/colourtest.html). As the page says, it is unofficial, but was developed with CAA input/resources (the guy in charge of the project is an acquatintance of mine... :) )

niknak
29th Mar 2006, 14:21
Best thing to do his have a word with the CAA Medical Branch, they are the ones who know, the chances are that they will provide you with the precise details they require and refer you to an optomotrist to take a test.

All the best.:ok:

Meekel
29th Mar 2006, 16:47
Best thing to do his have a word with the CAA Medical Branch, they are the ones who know, the chances are that they will provide you with the precise details they require and refer you to an optomotrist to take a test.

All the best.:ok:
Thanks. I got a while to wait until I can actually apply etc. but I'll contact them soon and see what they say. Any links you can think of to them?

You may wish to take a look at www.city.ac.uk/avrc/colourtest.html (http://www.city.ac.uk/avrc/colourtest.html). As the page says, it is unofficial, but was developed with CAA input/resources (the guy in charge of the project is an acquatintance of mine... :) )

Thanks for that. Tried it out and found it pretty easy actually. The dots never seemed to disappear for me

eastern wiseguy
29th Mar 2006, 17:06
Foghorn - I am one of those

Me too.....did the ishara and could "almost" see the numbers ..had a go with the lantern and passed.Don't give up young fella:ok: :ok:

terrain safe
29th Mar 2006, 18:38
Did you design our new logo? :eek: :eek:

parsley
26th Apr 2006, 15:30
Please can someone advise me? The CAA failed me on the lantern test almost ten years ago. Therefore, I hold a second class medical on my PPL with flights by day only. Since then, I've gained my FAA CPL after a light gun test in the USA, along with a class one medical (I was given a waiver so I could fly at night which has recently been lifted).
I'm planning to go to Holland soon in the hope of gaining my JAR class one. I had noticed that some pilots who failed at Gatwick then went on to Holland and passed. Did they disclose the fact that they failed their initial medical?
When I go for the medical in Holland, must I tell them about my failed medical here in the UK, or should I say nothing? I am planning to put my USA info on the application form but it mentions that I must not withhold any relevant information.
Any pointers would be of great help. Many thanks.