PDA

View Full Version : PPL Lessons in/near NYC, Toronto.

bluekieran
28th Mar 2006, 14:31
I'm spending a week in the States this May and as I'm about 15 hours into my PPL it would be nice to take a couple of lessons while I'm over there for a change of scenery.

Does anyone know of flying schools within easy reach of NYC or Toronto, preferably with Cessna 172s or similar (A PA28 will do in a pinch), and ideally with scenic training areas. I guess they're somewhat sensitive nowadays about flying near Manhattan, but even a flight over Niagara Falls would be outstanding!

YYZ
28th Mar 2006, 14:41
http://www.burlingtonairpark.com/
Not far from Toronto, and you can do the Niagra thing from there also...

YYZ

RatherBeFlying
29th Mar 2006, 02:54
I second Burlington Airpark qualified by the long time since I flew out of there.

www.futureair.ca operates out of Holland Landing, Barrie, Collingwood -- all scenic possibilities and I like their operation.

There's a number of flying schools at Hamilton. St. Catherines is quite handy to Niagara Falls, but I have no personal knowledge of the operators there.

There are many more possibilities. Feel free to pm.

strafer
29th Mar 2006, 15:45
I guess they're somewhat sensitive nowadays about flying near ManhattanUnless it's been closed in the last year, there is a VFR corridor up the Hudson river.

Re training, you'll need a visa and unless it's JAA approved (and I don't believe there are any JAA schools in that area) it won't count towards your PPL anyway.

bluekieran
30th Mar 2006, 13:14
Unless it's been closed in the last year, there is a VFR corridor up the Hudson river.
Re training, you'll need a visa and unless it's JAA approved (and I don't believe there are any JAA schools in that area) it won't count towards your PPL anyway.

Ah, I wasn't aware of that. Is that true of all flying done abroad, or just outside the EU?