PDA

View Full Version : edinbugh, fife or cumbernauld?!

maybe
27th Mar 2006, 18:12
I know this has been discussed in other threads, but I still need some more advice. After having had a trial flight at edinburgh airport almost 3 years ago, I have finally saved up the cash to do my PPL, yay!

I live to the west of edinburgh, about 10 minutes from the airport. So I'm trying to decide whether to do my training there, or to go to fife, or cumbernauld.... From what I've heard, it can take a while to get your PPL at edinburgh, although as I work monday to friday, most of the time I will only be doing one lesson a week - on a saturday or something. When I had my trial flight at edinburgh, the guy said that they only really do trial flights and don't encourage PPL... has this changed to anyones knowledge?!

Cumbernauld would be easy enough for me to travel to I think, but there are 2or 3 flying clubs based there? Can anyone give me an idea about any of them? Leading edge don't seem to do packages, does this work out more expensive than say doing it with flight academy scotland who do 5 and 10 lesson packs which includes landing fees etc?

Other option is Fife - from the website, they sound good - prices look ok etc. Anyone trained there? It sounds as though their main training centre in based in dundee and fife is more geared towards people who can already fly?

Are there any other options I haven't considered?

I know this is a long post, but I'd appreciate any replies that cover any aspect of what I'm asking! Once I get more info I'm planning to go and visit some clubs and see what I think.

Say again s l o w l y
27th Mar 2006, 19:12
At Cumbernauld there are 2 schools and one flying club. Cumbernauld Flying school, Flight Academy and Leading Edge.

I'm CFI at Leading Edge so I won't go to much further into it lest I be accused of advertising.

One thing though, we don't offer packages since we encourage people to NOT pay upfront. If you are desperate to, then fine, but otherwise I personally don't think the risk is worth taking. We aren't going to go out of business but there are so many horror stories that we don't feel the practise should be encouraged.

Packages also only ever cover the bare minimum and since the vast majority take longer (especially if flying once a week) than that. A package becomes irrelevant.

PM if you would like any other details.

Chippik
28th Mar 2006, 08:03
You could also try Prestwick Flying club, it may be further away but some members come from as far away as Dunfermline virtualy every weekend! plus its probably cheaper than most schools/clubs

FORKINELL
28th Mar 2006, 08:18
Good advice from Say Again Slowly. Personally I'd look at leading edge or Glenrothes as at Edinburgh You'll find You spend a lot of time holding for departure or orbiting to get back in if it's like any of the other BAA airports I've operated GA aircraft from. I always found Tayside a friendly & efficient organisation which , although I don't know leading edge personally, can't be said for some of the other operators there. (biggest isn't always best;) )
Good luck with Your PPL:ok:

wbryce
28th Mar 2006, 10:42
I started my PPL off at Glasgow airport and I stay just to the east of Edinburgh!

During my initial circuit sessions I called, "Golf Kilo Golf, Downwind....." "..Kilo Golf, Orbit end of down wind, number 5 in traffic behind a TU154" and at £17 per landing I decided to move onto Cumbernauld when Leading Edge started. Glasgow was good experience but you will pay upto 1-2k more, when you add all the holding time, extra landing fees and a yearly bombshell membership cost.

Can't say I have one bad thing to say about LE! I'm doing my IMC rating with them just now, the instructors are highly experienced individuals and best of all its a friendly atmosphere with a good laugh at the weekends!

I have pictures, videos and a diary of my IMC rating on my website - this may give you a feel for Cumbernauld and the level of instruction available.

one-punch-mickey
28th Mar 2006, 10:42
If I were starting again I would train at Highland Aero club Inverness, bit far for you perhaps but they get lovely weather and some stunning scenery, also they are a very well established club and have great social events. Failing that I don't think you could go wrong with Tayside Aviation, they will get you through the course to a high standard. Leading Edge seem like a pretty decent bunch too.

Either way, you will love it, great fun!

All the best

femaleWannabe
28th Mar 2006, 11:22
Hi Maybe,

I'm in a similar position - I got a trial flight at edinburgh as a present a couple of years ago and didn't think they encouraged PPLs. I've been looking at either fife, perth or cumbernauld, but perth is probably too far for me to travel.

wbryce - your website is really good, extremely helpful in getting a feel for the place :)

Maybe, let me know what you decide - might see you at fife or cumbernauld!

NorthSouth
28th Mar 2006, 13:05
When I had my trial flight at edinburgh, the guy said that they only really do trial flights and don't encourage PPL... has this changed to anyones knowledge?!What that person told you wasn't accurate in the first place and certainly isn't now - healthy student body, good availability etc - please p.m. me for further details.
NS

buggies
28th Mar 2006, 14:13
I live to the West of Edinburgh (Linlithgow) and have been flying from EGPH since I learnt there in 1990.
I have no experience of the other schools/clubs you mentioned - but a student who started a similar thread here a couple of years ago eventually plumped for Edinburgh and completed his PPL in six months and almost minimum hours.
luck,

Blinkz
28th Mar 2006, 16:46
I am a former Edinburgh flying club student and I can do nothing but praise them. They are the friendliest people you'll ever meet and have great instructors. I had a look around a number of the other schools and wasn't as impressed with them as I was at EFC. One of the main bonuses that I feel EFC offers is that it really gives you a wide range of experience whilst training. You will be based at EGPH and so will have excellent RT skills and will be happy going in and out of busy airspace(being on final with a A320 just a couple of miles behind is a great experience!), but you will also have alot of experience with smaller strips like Fife and Cumbernauld, as this is there the circuit training is done. The a/c at EFC are also very nice to fly. The best advice would be to visit all the clubs and go to where you feel happiest, but I can personally recommend EFC. I am in the middle of my commerical training and my PPL and experiences at EGPH have definatly helped me along the way. Good luck whatever you decide!

bankjoh
28th Mar 2006, 17:49
Why not do a little search on each location/flying club on pprune......as this question has been raised a few times before

Glasgow_Flyer
17th Apr 2006, 19:25
I gotta second what CHIPPIK suggests - take a trip down one weekend and check it out for yourself (also PM for further details).

Ops and Mops
17th Apr 2006, 20:20
And while you are down, pop into Prestwick Flight Centre to compare.

Lots of things going on over the summer there i'm led to believe! :)