PDA

View Full Version : Propellor Doctors

stiknruda
24th Mar 2006, 16:54
About 4 weeks ago I posted about my prop going off for overhaul.

Well, it came back today - the courier driver who collected it also delivered it back here. I did wonder if he'd just been lost around Norfolk for a month!

So... I opened the box and there it was, a beautiful new prop - except it wasn't all new. The old blades had been checked, horns ground and they now sport fantastic new paint and advertising logos. The hub was totally new - the old one had 4 clamping bolts, the new one 6.

I was delighted until I offered up the backplate (bulkhead in the US) and then found that it didn't fit. I checked that I'd not missed any spacers or had a brain fart, but no it was now too big for the backplate.

The Prop-shop was contacted at 1100, by 1500 they'd worked out what was adrift and had e-mailed the Hartzell tech sheet showing the approved modification to the backplate. I'll be at my milling machine all evening but should be flying over the weekend!

So, top tip - if there is any suggestion that your prop will be re-hubbed when it goes off for Notice 75 or overhaul, then stick the backplate in the same envelope!

Tip two - I was so impressed with the service from these guys that I'll send the prop from my other aeroplane to them as it is due a 75 next month. PM me if you need details but let's just say they are in Neville Shute Way in Portsmouth!

Stik