PDA

View Full Version : SVFR

TotalBeginner
24th Mar 2006, 14:47
Special VFR is an authorisation for a pilot to fly within a Control Zone at night or when weather is below VMC minima although he or she is unable to comply with Instrument Flight Rules (IFR) procedures. Special VFR is designed to facilitate flights that would otherwise be restricted due to weather and the clearance may be given when traffic conditions allow.

I find the whole SVFR concept very confusing. I was under the impression that a basic PPL holder cannot fly SVFR in a flight visibility of less than 10km. And so the only purpose I can see for flying SVFR is to transit class A airspace. I'm probably totally wrong, if anyone can shed some light I would be very grateful!

Rivet gun
24th Mar 2006, 16:17
In general VFR flight in a control zone requires 5k vis, but your licence requires 10K for special VFR, so you might think you would never get to fly in controlled airspace in less than VFR minima.

However the ANO goes on to make an exception for a route or zone which is "notified". Fortunatly most class D zones are so notified and allow a PPL to fly special VFR down to 3k vis. So in such a zone you could ask for a VFR clearance down to 5k vis and special VFR between 5k and 3k.

The above aplies to day time. If you have a night qualification, then all night flights in control zones are either IFR or Special VFR however good the vis.

If you have an instrument rating or IMC rating you can accept a special VFR clearance down to as little as 1800m vis.

As a basic PPL holder it is worth remembering that ATC dont ask what your qualifications are when issuing clearances. If the vis were say 2k they might well offer you a special VFR clearance, but you can't accept it. Below 1800m they will not issue special VFR to anybody.

For the "notified" zones check UKAIP ENR 1.4 - 2.4.1.1 note 4

Chilli Monster
24th Mar 2006, 16:25
Not totally wrong at all - in fact pretty close to the mark.

Like all these things, it depends on the class of airspace involved. Also it is more to do with the separation required between different types of traffic (IFR or VFR).

Class A: VFR flight is not permitted. IFR is but you require an IR. SVFR is possible, but the increase in vis requirements for the basic PPL holder is there to ensure the conditions are suitable for any eventuality - in short, they won't get lost and conflict with the IFR traffic.

Class D: VFR flight permitted with a flight vis (airport vis) of 5km or more - so, no need to worry about the 10km limit. Also it means ATC don't have to separate you from other VFR traffic. Theyy'll pass traffic info, you sort yourself out. Anything less than that however and either a SVFR or IFR clearance needs to be issued. SVFR means you can depart visually (basic PPL has a 3km vis limit on their licence don't forget) - however, you still need to be separated from all other traffic in some way, shape or form.

Hope this makes it clear as mud ;)

Droopystop
24th Mar 2006, 16:28
First of all Class A airspace is permanant IFR. If you don't have an instrument rating you cannot transit class A.
Not strictly true since helicopters can use the heliroutes in the Heathrow CTA (class A) and I believe there is a corner cut that FW can use (Burnham?). Denham and Fairoaks also lie within the Heathrow CTA but have notified routes. Hang on a minute I've got a Pedantic caption!
SVFR is very confusing but as has already been highlighted it is a mechanism by which VFR traffic can access aerodromes which class D would normally prohibit. I believe it also absolves one from the 1500' (or is it 1000' now) rule, but not the land clear in the event of engine failure.

stiknruda
24th Mar 2006, 16:34
Total Beginner - I am with you on this one:confused: .

In almost 1100 hours, I've never asked for it once - too complicated for my wee brain!

Stik

Islander2
24th Mar 2006, 17:03
First of all Class A airspace is permanant IFR. If you don't have an instrument rating you cannot transit class A.
A clarification may be helpful here, since that statement may very well add to some pilots' confusion!

SVFR is permissible in a Class A Control Zone, and does not require the pilot to have an IR. Just as well as, without an IR, you wouldn't be able to get to the Channel Islands.

It is Class A CTA's (including Airways) where SVFR is not allowed.

dublinpilot
24th Mar 2006, 17:04
Also the rules for VFR weather apply to everyone flying in that piece of airspace, no matter what their licence; they must be able to at least have weather that meets the rules for VFR if they want to fly VFR.

Not all licences have the 10km restriction on them. For examply my Irish issued JAA PPL, with no extra ratings, has no such restriction. Therefore I could use SVFR to fly in visibility below that of VFR, in UK airspace.

dp

Rivet gun
24th Mar 2006, 17:09
OK, sorry for the misleading statement, I was thinking of airways. I edited the first line of my last post.

LHR zone is class A therefore no VFR however good the vis, but special VFR is possible. Most of the Heathrow zone is not "notified" so PPL would require 10k.

I was once in a aircraft at LHR when all IFR traffic was grounded due to ATC computer failure. The captain asked for a special VFR clearance to exit the zone en route to Gurnsey. ATC refused on the grounds that his aircraft weighted more than 5700 kg.

Saab Dastard
24th Mar 2006, 18:07
Denham and Fairoaks also lie within the Heathrow CTA but have notified routes.
Just to clarify - it is not necessary to have owt to do with SVFR to get into / out of Fairoaks, providing that one enters / leaves the Fairoaks ATZ from the South or SW - i.e. from outside the Heathrow Zone.

I believe the same is true for Denham, arriving / departing to the North.

That portion of the ATZ for these airfields (also White Waltham) that is under the Heathrow zone is NOT class A airspace. In the case of Fairoaks, the ATZ extends from sfc to 1400' QNH - above that, you need an SVFR!

I have arrived / departed Fairoaks SVFR several times - not at all difficult, the guys at LHR radar are very helpful.

Fuji Abound
24th Mar 2006, 18:13
There are a couple of other cases where SVFR could be useful.

VFR does not exist at night in controlled airspace in the UK so if you have a night rating and the viz is 10k or more SVFR is your only option.

Through a control zone with a low cloudbase you could still have 10K viz but if VFR you would need to obey the 1,000 foot rule, however SVFR you could undertake the transit without, although of course you would still need to land clear.

As mentioned the BUR LHR clearance is always SVFR and usually not above 1,000 feet under the inbounds or departing.

FlyingForFun
24th Mar 2006, 20:18
I seem to remember a very obscure case where one of the low-flying rules (the 1500' rule?) over a built-up area doesn't apply when flying SVFR - so there was one particular case when the cloud-base is low but the visibility good, where you could use SVFR to fly over a built-up area that you wouldn't be able to fly over VFR?

I really ought to know this, but it's so obscure I didn't make any effort to remember the details. And I don't know if it still applies now that the low-flying rules have been revised and there is no longer a 1500' rule. Does anyone know what it is I'm thinking of, and can you fill in the details???

FFF
-----------------

Fuji Abound
24th Mar 2006, 20:21
FFF

Strange - that was the one I was referring to above. I assume it is still the case.

FlyingForFun
24th Mar 2006, 20:24
Fuji - that'll teach me to read the whole of the thread before posting my reply!!!

FFF
--------------

Talkdownman
24th Mar 2006, 20:41
Just to clarify - it is not necessary to have owt to do with SVFR to get into / out of Fairoaks, providing that one enters / leaves the Fairoaks ATZ from the South or SW - i.e. from outside the Heathrow Zone. I believe the same is true for Denham, arriving / departing to the North. That portion of the ATZ for these airfields (also White Waltham) that is under the Heathrow zone is NOT class A airspace. In the case of Fairoaks, the ATZ extends from sfc to 1400' QNH - above that, you need an SVFR!
Not strictly true.(I think you mean the London TMA, it is impossible to be beneath a CTR......)

The part of the Fairoaks ATZ within the London CTR is Class A. It is subject to 'notification' in ENR 1-4-2 2.1.1.1 para (vii)(a)
"IFR procedures apply in all weather conditions in the London CTR except for flights made in accordance with certain special procedures detailed below:
(a) The access lanes/local flying areas for Denham, White Waltham and Fairoaks, are hereby notified for the purposes of Schedule 8, Private Pilots Licence (Aeroplanes), sub-para 2 (c) (ii) and Basic Commercial Pilots Licence (Aeroplanes) sub-para 3 (g) (ii), of the Air Navigation Order 2005 when there is a flight visibility of at least 3 km;"

VFR do not apply in Class A. IFR do not apply in Fairoaks, Denham or White Waltham ATZ Class A portions, no IFR procedures exist.

See AD 2-EGTF-1-3
That part of the Fairoaks ATZ outside the London CTR ( and beneath the London TMA) is Class G. VFR apply. So can IFR Rule 29 Minimum height Rule.

So you will see that compliance with minima equivalent to SVFR 3km minima is necessary to access Fairoaks and Denham. You will note that the 'notification' permits a concession for PPL and BCPL holders who do not hold an IMC rating who would otherwise require 10km. White Waltham itself lies just on the edge of Class G airspace therefore is accessible under VFR therefore requiring VMC subject to Schedule 8. The airspace within the subject ATZs 1500 feet QNH and above is ceded to Heathrow.

Clear??

Fuji Abound
24th Mar 2006, 21:26
One more maybe

SVFR through a CAS-T may be your only way without an IFR clearance.

Islander2

"It is Class A CTA's (including Airways) where SVFR is not allowed."

What happened to the old 90 degree airways crossing "without full compliance with IFR"?

Chilli Monster
24th Mar 2006, 22:21
What happened to the old 90 degree airways crossing "without full compliance with IFR"?

Permitted at the base level of an airway where that base level is defined as a Flight Level.

Classic
24th Mar 2006, 22:36
If you have an instrument rating or IMC rating you can accept a special VFR clearance down to as little as 1800m vis.

Pretty sure an IMC rating allows you down to 3k vis. 1800m is for take off and landing outside CAS.:)

IO540
24th Mar 2006, 22:43
1800m for TO or landing in or out of CAS.

Classic
24th Mar 2006, 23:05
Well yes, but you can't then fly SVFR in that airspace in <3k vis.

PPRuNe Radar
24th Mar 2006, 23:09
Fuji Abound

It's not a SVFR clearance through Airways though. The pilot must hold an IR, it's just that the aircraft cannot meet the IFR requirements (e.g navaid carraige). The crossing must be in VMC in Day only, and controllers will treat the aircraft as though it was IFR. So you can expect to be given a cleared level and be expected to comply with IFR level occupancy rules, as well as any routeing or vectoring instructions required.

VFR does not exist at night in controlled airspace in the UK so if you have a night rating and the viz is 10k or more SVFR is your only option.

Only available in Control Zones. No good in TMA's or Airways.

Talkdownman
25th Mar 2006, 06:46
1800m for TO or landing in or out of CAS.
Only for IMC holders when IFR in Class D or G airspace. For IR holders IFR in class A airspace minima is procedure minima/company minima/absolute minima but only if there is a published procedure. For IR or IMC holders SVFR in Class A and D minima is 3km, see Schedule 8 and any 'notifications'.
3km is required in London CTR within Fairoaks, Denham and White Waltham Local Flying Areas. See ENR 1-4-2 2.1.1.1 para (vii)(a). It is a 'notification', ie. a 'special concession' within the London CTR Class A airspace and should not be abused, as it often is.

Fuji Abound
25th Mar 2006, 11:23
So what about exemptions for high performance aircraft and paras?

Are these treated as SVFR or VFR or IFR, with out full compliance?

Toadpool
25th Mar 2006, 11:39
To further muddy the waters, back to the weather minima; according to the ANO schedule 8, sub-section 2 (priviledges of a PPL (aeroplanes):-

A pilot shall not ......

para (c)

unless his licence includes an instrument rating (aeroplane) or an instrument meteorological rating (aeroplanes), fly as pilot in command of such an aeroplane:

(ii) on a special VFR flight in a control zone in a flight visibility of less than 10 km except on a route or in an aerodrome traffic zone notified for the purpose of this sub-paragraph.

This also applies to a holder of a BCPL (aeroplanes).

So a basic PPl holder (no IMC rating,etc) can fly VFR in a class D CTZ with 5km visibility, but is unable to accept a special VFR clearance!:hmm:

tmmorris
25th Mar 2006, 14:53
So a basic PPL holder (no IMC rating,etc) can fly VFR in a class D CTZ with 5km visibility, but is unable to accept a special VFR clearance!

True, but a SVFR clearance exempts you from the 1000ft rule (formerly 1500ft) under rule 5, so I guess better viz. might be a good idea (not that it will help you when the engine quits).

Tim

Chilli Monster
25th Mar 2006, 21:35
Actually - not true. Read the proviso

A pilot shall not ......

unless his licence includes an instrument rating (aeroplane) or an instrument meteorological rating (aeroplanes), fly as pilot in command of such an aeroplane:

(ii) on a special VFR flight in a control zone in a flight visibility of less than 10 km except on a route or in an aerodrome traffic zone notified for the purpose of this sub-paragraph.

Why do you think Class 'D' airports have entry / exit lanes notified? So bare PPL's, when the vis is between 3 & 5km (day) or 3km & 10km (night), can arrive or depart at an airport in a Class 'D' zone provided they route via the lane and fulfill any criteria required for its use.

Also means they can fly circuits SVFR in the above met conditions.

Toadpool
26th Mar 2006, 15:50
Sorry Chilli, but I beg to disagree.

Checking the AIP page ENR 1-4-5, there are 28 class D ctz's, (CTA's not counted, as SVFR does not apply).

11 are notified for the purposes of schedule 8, but 17 are not.

So my comment is true in the majority of class D ctz's.

IO540
26th Mar 2006, 17:28
Only for IMC holders when IFR in Class D or G airspace

OK, I should have quoted a bigger piece.

I think IMCR holders are stuck with the 1800m min met vis on any IFR departure or arrival, no matter what the airspace class is.

Do you have a reference for lower permitted forward vis when operating at a Class E or F airfield? That would be serious news to me. Doesn't affect me (have an IR) but interesting nonetheless. I know there is very little E or F in the UK...