PDA

View Full Version : HF Theory (Written)

Ian_Wannabe
23rd Mar 2006, 18:21
Hey guys - just got my application for my RT licence signed and I noticed the box section b.) HF Theory (Written)....

What is this? Should I have sat this before sending off for my PPL licence?

:confused:

mcgoo
23rd Mar 2006, 18:42
there is an RT practical exam and a multiple choice communications exam, thats it!

A V 8
23rd Mar 2006, 18:52
Just leave it blank.

I think HF is for the big boys who fly over rediculously large oceans. HF has a longer range than VHF - I'll spare you the technical stuff!

Ian_Wannabe
23rd Mar 2006, 19:01
Cool - cheers :ok:

Floppy Link
24th Mar 2006, 12:26
Hands up any of the
big boys who fly over rediculously large oceans.
who actually did an HF written or practical exam...:confused: It was just sort of covered in the line training when I started on th 757 and later the 767 many moons ago

FlyFreeWbe
24th Mar 2006, 13:23
When you get your RT licence, check box XIII. It should say "VHF Only". Methinks HF is like when you tune in to Lakenheath etc ... and hear what seems to be the atco talking to themself ;)

Engine overtemp
24th Mar 2006, 13:31
Floppy Link, I think you will find a "pass" at Radio Aids for your CPL or ATPL would be your HF theory exam.

I certainly had to do standard position reports when I did my initial RT licence, and didn't realise the significance of them until I started using HF.

My initial RT license issued with my PPL had a "VHF only" restriction on it which magically disappeared after I got my RT licence reissued with my CPL.
:ok:

IO540
24th Mar 2006, 16:27
Gosh, when I was doing my radio amateur stuff in 1968, talking to peple around the world, I never knew that HF could be so complicated :O

Trust the authorities to license everything...

effortless
24th Mar 2006, 16:45
Gosh, when I was doing my radio amateur stuff in 1968, talking to peple around the world, I never knew that HF could be so complicated :O
Trust the authorities to license everything...
Oh, so you didn't have a license then. Smack handy you bad, bad boy.http://jm.g.free.fr/smileys/fouet[1].gif

benhurr
24th Mar 2006, 16:48
HF is not what the military use, Lakenheath for example. They go for shorter wavelengths.

Whopity
24th Mar 2006, 17:34
HF is 3 to 30 MHz or 100 to 10 metres whoever uses it.

The HF written exam is for PPLs and Baloon pilots who want to fly over desert or ocean aereas, Flight Engineers who don't sit radio theory exams and anyone else who needs to use HF for aeronautical communication.

IO540
24th Mar 2006, 20:22
Oh, so you didn't have a license then. Smack handy you bad, bad boy

I did actually.

Another project I had on the go back then was a pirate radio transmitter, about 500 watts (a couple of 807s) and this needed about 700V DC. The obvious place to get that was the power rail on a train track. And no I didn't get a license for that one :O We never got it going, because we found that the power wasn't there all the time...

FlyFreeWbe
24th Mar 2006, 20:34
ahh my bad :} after more thought it does make sense tho ... i remember a documentary about when the US had to ground all aircraft on sept 11. they couldn't get a message out across the pond to stop aircraft arriving because they were too far away