PDA

View Full Version : PPL in Derbyshire/Yorkshire

nadders
23rd Mar 2006, 10:58
Hello everyone.

I'm new to PPRune and have been directed here after posting my first thread in the wannabes section.

At long last I'm in a position to begin my PPL:ok: and I now have the task of choosing a flying school. So far i've visited two schools. Phoenix fling school and Sheffield Aero club. Does anyone have any experience with either club??? It would seem that there is quite a difference in the cost of lessons/hire between the two clubs. Phoenix is the cheaper of the two but doesn't have a club house etc. Personally i would rather spend my time in the air than in the bar! Is it worth the extra cost for the social side??

If anyone could point me in the direction of any other good flying schools in the area, (i live in North Derbyshire), it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers in advance,

Nadders.

dashman20
23rd Mar 2006, 11:11
Hi -I've had some dealings with both.Phoenix wins hands down!
One reason they are cheaper is the fact that they have an in house maintenance facility-it keeps costs down.The instuctors are experienced
and first rate,from a variety of backgrounds.The atmosphere is relaxed
and informal,plus I think you can still use the bar over the road!

Puchacz14
23rd Mar 2006, 14:54
Nadders

Phoenix are by far the better flying school. I did my PPL with them from the outset and went on to do IMC as well. Phoenix will always have a servicable aircraft avaliable, but you do have to book at the weekends to get an aircraft. Although this is not really a problem. Training there is first class and I would highly recommend them. They are also the I believe the cheapest for training in the country (correct me if im wrong) and the solo price is even better!

Although it is your choice obviously, my personal experience of Sheffield Aero Club is not a good one, when I went to find out about doing a taildragger conversion with them the instructor on the desk was rude and unhelpful and didnt even acknowledge I was there, he just carried on talking to his friend, not what I would call friendly or good for business! As for SAC's students/members RT I wont even go there!

Anyway hope that helps, have fun with the PPL

squawking 7700
23rd Mar 2006, 15:16
I did my PPL & IMC at Phoenix and as above, can't recommend them highly enough.
I've had to join SAC through joining an aircraft group at Nethersludge but to be honest I've never held SAC in very high regard (I won't go into details) and the membership's £160!!! (no membership charge at Phoenix).

Social use of SAC's clubhouse facilities requires social membership or be
signed in by a member.

It's a no brainer - Phoenix.

big.al
23rd Mar 2006, 15:59
Nadders - I'm from just outside Chesterfield and did a little of my training with Pheonix (most of it in the US). Upon my return with shiny new licence, I rented from Pheonix for a while. Just about the cheapest rental you'll find anywhere at £65 for a C150.

Once you have the licence (have faith my lad/lass, you'll do it) if you fancy some cost-share flying to keep the costs down, send me a PM....

Ian_Wannabe
23rd Mar 2006, 18:26
Hey - No experience with the other one but I can highly recommend Sherburn. Great club, great people, great aircraft, excellent instruction... and I thought it was cheap?

I came to the club having been messed about by several others US and UK and they sorted me out quickly and professionaly.

Once again, highly recommend Sherburn

Heliport
23rd Mar 2006, 19:50
nadders

You might be interested in this thread: HERE (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=216932)

(I would be, in your position.)

H.

spernkey
23rd Mar 2006, 20:20
If you are not worried about shiny premises but value career (i.e. not hour building) instructors and well maintained aircraft check out Derby 01283 733803. The field is challenging and the instruction just has to be good.

nadders
23rd Mar 2006, 20:29
Thanks everyone for such prompt replies.

Was pretty impressed with Phoenix and would agree they did seem the friendliest and most relaxed. Its nice to here that my first impressions don't seem to have been wrong.

As soon as i've got that licence in my pocket i'll PM you Big Al. I too live just outside Chesterfield.

Used to fly gliders out of Gamston but powered was always the way i wanted to go. Gliding was a cheap way of getting in the air.

Can't wait to get started. Already reading the Air Law book from cover to cover and back again:confused: .

Nadders.