PDA

View Full Version : Useful forecast for today

Genghis the Engineer
22nd Mar 2006, 06:46
This amused me (if you're reading this more than a week from my post, the graphic is probably wrong)...

http://www.weatherweb.net/avwednesday.gif

G

FlyingForFun
22nd Mar 2006, 08:42
:D :D :D

Of course, it would be possible to make all forecasts 100% accurate every day using this technique, and you wouldn't even need to employ well-paid forecasters to change it every day:

"VFR in VMC, non VFR in IMC"

:D :E :ok:

FFF
---------------

Aeronut
22nd Mar 2006, 13:57
That is great! It's a little bit like Mystic Meg predicting that this week's lottery winner "will be a man or a woman!"

Squawk 2650
22nd Mar 2006, 14:12
With the winning numbers being between 1 and 49!! ... Bring back Brian C. What a legend!!

S
:cool:

ShyTorque
22nd Mar 2006, 15:01
"It'll either rain or get dark by midnight".

Whirlybird
22nd Mar 2006, 19:43
Tomorrow will be either flyable or non-flyable.

DBChopper
22nd Mar 2006, 22:00
Ahaaaa, but does it only apply to the bits right under the writing?

:confused:

AerBabe
23rd Mar 2006, 07:39
Today will be a different day to yesterday.

MyData
23rd Mar 2006, 08:19
This recalls a memory of that famous BBC forecast with

D
O
D
G
Y

written down the spine of the UK. How about that for the greatest ever weather forecast get out clause.

airborne_artist
23rd Mar 2006, 10:09
If things don't change, they'll stay the same :E

big.al
23rd Mar 2006, 10:20
At the end of the day, it's night-time...

Aussie Andy
23rd Mar 2006, 10:29
Its easy to mock, but perhaps you should rememnber to ALWAYS LOOK AT THE DATE! :}

Its an old one for January which is still on Simon's website as I believe Weatherweb are trnsitioning the site form old to new services. They have a new replacement aviation outlook service they call AWIS (Aviation Weathera Information Service) at http://www.awis.org.uk which is very good and you might like to take a look!

Andy :)

dublinpilot
23rd Mar 2006, 11:20
Well, someone has to say it.........

That forecast wouldn't always be true, and therefore isn't really the same as "At the end of the day, it's night" etc etc etc.

There are plenty of days where there is no fog, and it isn't VFR.

What is described is a day with VFR weather generally, but in places VFR is not possible because of the fog.

How else should this be described? "VFR generally, but not in places"? I think the description actually used provides a little more info.

When you think about it, rather than just reacting, it actually makes a lot of sense.

dp

Aussie Andy
23rd Mar 2006, 14:02
Well said dp!

I am sure we all know what it is like to fly on such days - here is one of my pics from around that time, flying over fog in lovely VFR conditions:

http://static.flickr.com/28/65123819_ed609bd43e.jpg

Andy :ok:

dublinpilot
23rd Mar 2006, 15:52
See you soon Andy......lets hope you've a better ceiling on your trip, than the one in the photo! :}

Aussie Andy
23rd Mar 2006, 17:35
Absolutely mate - can't wait!! :ok:

FlyingForFun
23rd Mar 2006, 19:24
Dublinpilot,

You are absolutely correct. But I think the point is - this forecast is absolutely no use in helping me decide whether I'll be able to fly, or where I'll be able to fly.

Where will the fog be? What time will it clear? This is what I need to make this a useful forecast!

FFF
----------------

dublinpilot
23rd Mar 2006, 21:28
Well FFF,

That is true alright. But you're never going to get too accurate info from a general map like that, no matter what is written on it.

I'd say....if you look out...and it's not foggy....it's ok to go ;) :}

Subject to looking at a better forecast of course! :O