PDA

View Full Version : GPS recommendations

bsfish2003
21st Mar 2006, 17:32
I am considering buying my first GPS. The intention is that it will be used as back up (honest!). It will be for UK use only. Do any of you folks have any advice/recommendations?

wombat13
21st Mar 2006, 18:01
Garmin 96c with external antenna as an extra. 9 sat's minimum every time.

Never let me down in the year I have had it as "just a back-up".

Thought I would only use mine in UK as well, but have just come back from a flying holiday in Oz. Loading Pacific database was simple and only cost twenty quid.

Definition could be a bit sharper, but OK. I do not consider myself a "techie", but after the first five hours of use, I felt really competent. Battery life very good. I was getting a real 25 hours from two AA. If your aircraft has a working "cigar" lighter all the better.

The Wombat

WorkingHard
21st Mar 2006, 18:38
Skymap - simply the best for me

Fuji Abound
21st Mar 2006, 18:58
It is well worth having a look at PocketFMS on the internet.

The software is freeware although you can pay a small sum for the enhanced maps.

It has a number of advantages:

It is updated every month and covers the whole of Europe (the rest of the world as well).

There is a very active user forum.

It runs on any iPaq type device so you can upgrade the hardware / software from time to time as tecnology improves. These devices already have very clear colour touch screens.

The package is very small and neat. Very easy to attach to the yolk and if mains power is not available will run for over four hours on rechargeable batteries.

The software can also be installed on your PC and its easy to add routes, and user points as well as change pretty much all the display parameters.

IO540
19th May 2006, 13:42
As this thread is linked under the "important" ones I thought I add this:

I have recently had a play with the new Avmap EKP IV, courtesy of Harry Mandelson (www.gps.co.uk)

Without much doubt this is the best GPS on the market, for mainly-VFR flying.

The display is amazing. A huge colour moving map, very clear. GPS is mostly about situational awareness and this product will deliver more of that than anything else out there - the screen is twice the size of most popular units.

The map is the same as most other units: the standard Jeppesen GPS map.

It is also near the top of the handheld price range, but this is the sort of purchase which one makes only once in a good number of years.

Henry Hallam
19th May 2006, 14:04
At the lower budget, second-hand range, I love my Garmin Pilot III. You can update the database for £20 or so whenever you feel you need to, it has a good battery life and a decent screen with moving map, HSI etc.

Whatever you get, an external antenna is probably a good idea especially if you want to use it in a spamcan. I'm a very satisfied customer of www.gps-antenna.co.uk (get the "active amplifier antenna" for about £12 inc postage, and you can remove the magnets pretty easily to avoid interfering with the compass)

LDG_GEAR _MONITOR
19th May 2006, 14:47
id also recommend get a PDA and pocketfms (Free) then you can run your car nav, use the internet, word excel etc - all off one box !