PDA

View Full Version : Cardiff & GA..?

big.al
21st Mar 2006, 08:57
Can anyone advise on landing and handling charges at Cardiff? I hope to take a 172 there with three friends next month to see a footy match (provided I get through my BFR :uhoh:). I gather that handling is compulsory but does this have to be by Execair or can I be 'handled' (ooh err) by a local flying club?
I'd be parking up for around 6 hrs total I guess, and away at about 6.30pm (not sure what time the local club(s) are open)...
Any other pointers about visiting Cardiff also welcome. Are they fairly GA friendly?
Cheers.

gcolyer
21st Mar 2006, 09:36
If i was you, i would go to Upfield farm (just to the east of cardiff)

£10 to land
£10 to park for a weekend
£20 to borrow a car for the weekend

I fly in to there to go and watch the Rugby. Cardiff will cost an arm and leg and it is a pain in the **** witht the VFR corridors. The strip is concrete 600x10m rwy direction 05/23. There is some towers a few miles to the east that are a great visual reference. It is also outside of cardiffs airspace.

You can get a PA28 or C172 in there no problems. I can get a Cessna 337 in there fully loaded, mind you in a fully loaded 337 you need pretty much all 600m to get out!!

PM me if you want more details.

Gary

maggioneato
21st Mar 2006, 10:32
Cardiff is brilliant for GA. Friendly ATC. Pay your landing fee southside at the flying school. Landing fee for our 172 £22 odd. Don't know what you would pay for parking for 6 hours. Give Cardiff Academy a call on 01446 710000, then decide what to do. The published VFR arrival and departures are in the flight guides, so not too daunting. My favourite "big" airfield to visit.

Mariner9
21st Mar 2006, 10:35
I'd second the advice re Upfield Farm. (My aircraft's based there) Approx 30 mins drive to the Millenium stadium from there. No lights at the airfield, but with the extra hour of daylight, you should just get back in time. Cardiff airport about the same time to drive, and though there is a train service, I doubt it'll be much quicker.

If you do opt for Cardiff, ask to be "handled" by the flying club on the south side - the landing fee will then be ~£18. Dont worry about joining procedures, they're pretty simple, and ATC are great. Well worth checking that the club will still be open at your planned departure time though, you'd do very well to get back to your aircraft by 6.30pm after a footy match)

rustle
21st Mar 2006, 11:48
Cardiff are excellent.

In there two weeks ago, cost about £20 for a C310 which in the grand scheme of things is quite cheap* :)

* My contender for understatement of the year.

Park at the flying club.

big.al
23rd Mar 2006, 10:14
Thanks for the replies folks.

It would actually be four blokes in a C172 and so I think Upfield Farm would not be an option. At best I'd take 1/2 fuel load in order to remain within W&B so I'd need to refuel at the other end. The trip would be from Gamston.

The footy match is at Ninian Park (right next to a train station) so a train from Cardiff Airport and parking at the Academy on the south side seems the logical solution. But if there is some doubt as to whether we'd get back to the a/c to be away by 6.30pm, then the whole trip is in doubt as I have to get back in daylight (no night rating). Sunset is around 8pm at the end of April I believe (will have to check exact time) but unless we're airborne by 6.45pm I'd be pushing my luck to make it back to Gamston.

By the way, BFR passed, if a little rusty...:D

Regards.

Fried_Chicken
23rd Mar 2006, 21:43
There is one train an hour from Rhoose station (about 5-10mins walking time from the Flying Club on the Southside of Cardiff Airport) to Cardiff Central (the journey takes about 20-25mins) & one train an hour in the opposite direction. A timetable should be easy to find online.

You could then walk to Ninian Park (its not that far) or catch another train.

Hope this is of use
Fried Chicken

Mariner9
24th Mar 2006, 08:52
Still time to get your night rating Big Al :ok:

Without that, it would be very tight in my view to get back to your aircraft in time. Alternately, why not stay overnight in Cardiff & enjoy the nightlife?