PDA

View Full Version : alternative to NATS????

future atco
16th Mar 2006, 17:05
So...........i was rejected by NATS!!??

But it seems a shame to waste all of the knowledge i've gained about ATC?

Can anyone offer any other alternatives-other than re-taking NATS in 12 months??

Thanks

Not future atco anymore!!!!!

LXGB
16th Mar 2006, 17:31
Try
Here:
http://www.astac.co.uk/UKATC-Course-List.aspx

or

Here:
http://www.amsjv.com/baetraining/trainingcourses/civil.asp

Also, have at look at this thread:
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?p=2041187#post2041187

Good Luck,
LXGB

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
16th Mar 2006, 17:55
<<Can anyone offer any other alternatives-other than re-taking NATS in 12 months??>>

Not sure what you mean... "re-taking NATS"???

Unless things have drastically changhed, anyone can hold an Air Traffic Controllers Licence - you don't have to be a NATS employee. Have you considered re-taking the exams sooner? Maybe rules have changed since I retired but one certainly did not have to wait for a year to pass to re-sit exams when I did mine.

How about this then..... you re-sit the exams and pass them. You can then seek employment outside NATS. Ever thought of going abroad?

Arkady
16th Mar 2006, 18:16
I think he/she means his/her application for NATS

TATC
16th Mar 2006, 19:11
<<Can anyone offer any other alternatives-other than re-taking NATS in 12 months??>>
Not sure what you mean... "re-taking NATS"???
Unless things have drastically changhed, anyone can hold an Air Traffic Controllers Licence - you don't have to be a NATS employee. Have you considered re-taking the exams sooner? Maybe rules have changed since I retired but one certainly did not have to wait for a year to pass to re-sit exams when I did mine.
How about this then..... you re-sit the exams and pass them. You can then seek employment outside NATS. Ever thought of going abroad?

the only rules regarding failure of exams is if you fail a course of initial training twice you can't resit it for Five years

future atco
17th Mar 2006, 12:22
if you dont get through on the exams, you have to wait a year before re-applying to NATS.
NATS 'appeared' to be the best option for me as i got paid whilst training and a guaranteed job at the end of it.

I cant really afford to pay for ATC courses with an external college.

I am now looking at BAE...................

millerman
17th Mar 2006, 12:38
You can always try Eurocontrol at :- http://www.eurocontrol.int/corporate/public/site_preferences/display_job_list.html

Only area is available and you will be based in Maastricht after initial training in Luxembourg. With 1.4 million flights a year and over 20 different nationalities working there it is a very interesting place to work!

Damocles
18th Mar 2006, 19:56
the only rules regarding failure of exams is if you fail a course of initial training twice you can't resit it for Five years
Rules have changed.
If a student fails a course, he or she can retake the part of the course from where they were last assessed as satisfactory.
If they fail again, they have to undertake the course in full. There is no limit to when and how many attempts a student can have. Just like a driving course!

TATC
18th Mar 2006, 21:25
Rules have changed.
If a student fails a course, he or she can retake the part of the course from where they were last assessed as satisfactory.
If they fail again, they have to undertake the course in full. There is no limit to when and how many attempts a student can have. Just like a driving course!

Obviously this change hasnt made it into CAP 744 : ATC Licensinng. This quote is from part 3, page 1 of that document

2 Initial Training
2.1 Requirement
Initial training courses must provide student and/or trainee air traffic controllers with
the necessary skills and knowledge to a level of competence that will prepare them
for training at operational units. Notwithstanding this requirement, the training
courses must at least satisfy the ECAC Common Core Content training guidelines.
A student or trainee air traffic controller who fails an approved course of initial training
may re-take the course. If he fails at the second attempt, he shall not be permitted to
take another course of initial training in the same rating discipline for a period of five years

future atco
21st Mar 2006, 16:25
i'm not sure if some of you have got your wires crossed, but i didnt get as far as the training course?
I failed at the second hurdle-on the apptitude tests?
But even so, i still spent a lot of time studying and still learnt an awful lot about ATC?

I just wondered if there was another option? I have looked at BAE but i'm not sure if that is self-funded or whether you have to be sponsored etc??