PDA

View Full Version : PPruNe Gliding Experience Days

Nimbus265
13th Mar 2006, 12:53
Myself and BRL have for some time, been toying with the idea of organising a PPruNe gliding air-experience day for the power pilots among you who have often wondered what it would be like to fly a glider - but have never tried it.
Now that the warmer weather is on the horizon, now would seem like a suitable time to float the idea on here.
Cost is likely to be around £30 for 2 winch launches, in possibly May/Jun.
Maximum numbers will be about 20 on any one day - its likely to be a weekday, and at an airfield in Wiltshire. Ideally this would be for those of you who have never flown a glider before - but depending on numbers may be open to more. More than 1 day can be arranged if more than 20 want to take part. Bar and BBQ facilities available afterwards.
Who's interested???

dwshimoda
13th Mar 2006, 13:15
Yes! may struggle with getting a mid-week day off, but if I can I'd love to have a go. I suspect it may highlight a lot of slopiness on my part though...

Laundryman
13th Mar 2006, 13:16
I'm interested, about 150 hrs powered flight in the logbook. Does this site in Wiltshire accept landings from PA28 if so I could fly in, do the exciting stuff and fly home. That could be two of us from EGTC.

Nimbus265
13th Mar 2006, 13:24
I'm interested, about 150 hrs powered flight in the logbook. Does this site in Wiltshire accept landings from PA28 if so I could fly in, do the exciting stuff and fly home. That could be two of us from EGTC.

The airfield is a grass airfield, and I can arrange access. I'll need to book you in with the local DAIS.

Laundryman
13th Mar 2006, 13:35
Oh dear now you've forced me to show my ignorance, to what does DAIS refer?

EGBKFLYER
13th Mar 2006, 13:35
If you want to offer aerotows and need a tug, I can prolly organise a Wilga for the day...

Nimbus265
13th Mar 2006, 13:51
Oh dear now you've forced me to show my ignorance, to what does DAIS refer?

Danger Area Information Service.

kevwal
13th Mar 2006, 15:48
I'm a definite maybe, a day off isn't a problem, cost isn't a problem, just let me know when.

Cheers
Kev

P.S. As Penguina says, if anyone wants to share transport (cars or planes) from the Midlands give me a shout, DW / LaundryMan?

Glide Perfectionist
13th Mar 2006, 20:23
Nimbus265,

I take it that it will be Friday night, NOT a Saturday or Sunday. If it is a Sat, or Sunday I assume club members will be consulted? Either way I will be happy to help (on the winch)!

Penguina
13th Mar 2006, 20:32
Yes! I'm interested! Brilliant idea. I've been saying 'I must have a go at gliding' for about 3 years now and have I got my backside into gear? No I have not! If anyone in the S London area fancies sharing transport (cars or 'planes) that may also be a good plan.

(Above is subject to being in the country, of course...)

Bob Stinger
13th Mar 2006, 21:30
Very interested week day or weekend all the same to me!

Nimbus265
13th Mar 2006, 21:45
Nimbus265,
I take it that it will be Friday night, NOT a Saturday or Sunday. If it is a Sat, or Sunday I assume club members will be consulted? Either way I will be happy to help (on the winch)!

It will be during the week, possibly on a Thursday or Tuesday so as not to interfere with normal club operations!

BRL
14th Mar 2006, 04:04
Thanks for posting this Nimbus, an excellent idea, I can't wait to come and have a go, plus if the weather is playing ball, a barby afterwards! I will be coming from Shoreham if anyone wants a lift on the way.

Is there a height/weight limit for a person to go in a glider or anything else we need to know beforehand...?

BroomstickPilot
14th Mar 2006, 06:27
Splendid Idea!

Yes, I'm interested.

Broomstick.

Nimbus265
14th Mar 2006, 07:47
Bit more information for you.... We have 3 2-seater gliders available for the day (working on the actual date right now). Max weight is 232 Lbs and max height is about 6'3". All flying will be with BGA qualified instructors. There is a possibility of aerotow as well as winch launches, but there will be an additional cost for this. More details to follow!;)

pulse1
14th Mar 2006, 07:54
I would love to have a go. I have about 250 hours power and about 150 hours gliding and 1000 launches. But it was a long time ago and I would just love to have another go because I know that the performance of modern gliders and winches have made it a very different experience than in my day.

Edited just to say, Any time any day!

Again edited to say I could fly in with two (lightish) passengers in a PA28 but as it is only from Compton Abbas it might not be worth it.

dwshimoda
14th Mar 2006, 08:02
If I can arrange the time off, then I can offer some space in the C-172 from Cranfield - as long as you don't criticise my landings! How long is the strip?

Nimbus265
14th Mar 2006, 08:12
If I can arrange the time off, then I can offer some space in the C-172 from Cranfield - as long as you don't criticise my landings! How long is the strip? - Long enough for a C130!

Nimbus265
14th Mar 2006, 08:17
Currently working on either the 23rd or 25th May. Maybe both if I get enough people who want to fly. Maximum will be 20 people each day, possibly split into flying 2 slots am and pm (ish). Just trying to muster up club support to run the field, before confirming the dates.

Laundryman
14th Mar 2006, 08:20
Looks like I shall be observing only cos I'm over the 232lbs limit

pulse1
14th Mar 2006, 08:22
I would be very keen to come on either date but, if you are oversubscribed, I am happy to give way to those for whom it is a totally new experience.

distaff_beancounter
14th Mar 2006, 08:33
Hi Nimbus265

May I add my name to the list, please?

I can do any day of the week. ;)

ARLG
14th Mar 2006, 17:35
Me too please..

If the Cranfield chaps have space for one more even better?

Look forward to it

Cheers

Pitts Flyer
14th Mar 2006, 18:04
Please add my name to the list. I can make any day.

The Nr Fairy
14th Mar 2006, 18:05
Wiltshire, grass, gliding, DAIS - Upavon, perchance ? I'm not a million miles away . . .

Glide Perfectionist
14th Mar 2006, 20:15
Upavon it most certainly is, but beware bringing aircraft to the airfield due to being a government aerodrome.

i.e. PPR is required and technically Crown Indemnity Waiver on the insurance policy (at present £7.5m). However you have to be unlucky to cause that kind of damage at Upavon, but to stay legal it is still required. Unless a flying club has crown indemnity it is possible that landing at Upavon means that you would be in breach of the club flying orders, therefore uninsured.

The airfield is not suitable for landing light twins, eg Seneca etc.

Liase with Nimbus265 who can arrange the small details!

Papa Charlie
14th Mar 2006, 21:17
Please add me to the list - any day is OK with me. Thanks!

CDH
14th Mar 2006, 21:43
Nimbus, please add me to the list- I'll have to swap a shift for both dates but what the hell it sounds like fun.
Anyone want a lift from EGCJ? pm me.
CDH

kevwal
15th Mar 2006, 08:53
Hi Guys

I can't (shouldn't) do the 25th as it's my wife's birthday, but the 23rd would be fine! A cost-share lift from Cranfield would be great DW if the insurance stuff is ok?

Thanks
Kev

High Wing Drifter
15th Mar 2006, 09:17
Hi Nimbus,

What a fabulous idea! Can you include me too? It would be a bonus if the the site is family friendly (3 and 7 years)? If not, not a problem.

Rocket2
15th Mar 2006, 09:29
Nimbus
Please post this on the club web site - I'll be there to assist.
R2

Juliet Papa
15th Mar 2006, 17:03
Put me down too please - I've been meaning to try gliding for a while now!!

I can make the 23rd but the 25 would be better if you end up running two days.

I can also offer car share from Somerset area of anyone needs a lift.

Cheers,

Jason :ok:

Jenni Morton
15th Mar 2006, 17:51
Can Studes join in?

tmmorris
15th Mar 2006, 19:04
Definitely interested; would also like to fly in if poss. Is this a service gliding club? Would be flying in from Benson in a club a/c. Midweek actually better for me anyway.

Tim

Nimbus265
15th Mar 2006, 22:04
OK folks, yes it is Upavon, and as Glide Perfectionist stated PPR is required (which I can arrange), and you will need to book into through Salisbury Ops as well prior to arrival. I'm aiming to clear en-masse with them once I have details of everyone who want to come, and have worked through the numbers etc, but do pay attention to the requirement for Crown Indeminty Insurance. Anyone who regularly flys into or out of a Service Airfield should have this as a matter of course anyway.

As for being familiy friendly - yes we are - but within the constraints of it being an active airfield. The minimum age for youngsters to fly is 14.

I'm in the process of booking the day wil Salisbury Ops just to ensure that there are no major air or troop movements likely to conflict. More details to follow, along with names etc thus far........

PM me if you have any burning questions!!

DBo
16th Mar 2006, 07:06
Count me in!

Dave

Nimbus265
16th Mar 2006, 08:09
Dates are now booked for the PPRuNe Gliding Experience day!!!!:)

It's gonna be the 22nd and 23rd May 06.

I'l currently got 17 names, and I'm happy to go up to 30 across both days(15 each approx).... Please let me know what days you would like to attand (or both!!!) Having 2 days at least means that if the weather is poor, there is a slip day as well. More details to follows.

For those attending who wish to fly in - no probs. I need you ac reg numbers to clear with Salisbury Ops please.
Cheers
Nimbus265

EGBKFLYER
16th Mar 2006, 08:23
Can you confirm that is a Monday/ Tuesday?

Nimbus265
16th Mar 2006, 08:24
Roger!

Monday and Tuesday

BRL
16th Mar 2006, 12:40
I am alright to do either of the dates given. :ok:

Penguina
16th Mar 2006, 13:54
I'm currently free on both those days. Slight possibility something might come up, but if it does I can find myself a deputy no problem! :)

pulse1
16th Mar 2006, 17:39
Nimbus265,

I am happy with either day. I hope to fly in but a/c has to have its annual early May. Should be back by then.

Nimbus265
18th Mar 2006, 06:31
I've 18 names now, which is enough for one day, but just short of enough for 2 days.... unless some of you are interested more than just the 2 flights!!

Anymore interest!!

;)

ARLG
18th Mar 2006, 07:53
I can do either date

thanks
Alex

AerBabe
18th Mar 2006, 07:54
Sounds great! I've done a tiny bit of gliding before (about four winch launches over several years), so I hope that doesn't exclude me. I don't know about the dates yet as I work shifts and won't see my roster for a couple of days.

distaff_beancounter
18th Mar 2006, 09:20
I can do either date - looking forward to it ;)

I would be interested in doing more than 2 flights if you are trying to fill up the slots - 'cos I am a slow learner!

DB

rotorboater
20th Mar 2006, 16:56
Can you put me down for the Monday, I am happy to try 2 lots if there is space or even an air tow.
Can I fly in in a helicopter?

pulse1
21st Mar 2006, 08:31

Only if you agree to give those of us who have never been in one a flight. :D

Saab Dastard
21st Mar 2006, 18:29
Please sir, I'd like to soar!

I can probably do either day, and will be driving from SW London if anyone wants a lift - unless someone offers me a ride from an airfield nearby!

SD

Nimbus265
22nd Mar 2006, 12:45
Need to check - but shouldn't be a problem
Can you put me down for the Monday, I am happy to try 2 lots if there is space or even an air tow.

TheBeeKeeper
22nd Mar 2006, 13:04
Please sir, I'd like to soar!

I used to have a T-Shirt quoting.... 'Gliding Instructors take you from behind and make you Soar'.... very wrong I know, and as my rating has lapsed, it's now relegated to being one of those never worn items.

Nimbus265,

If you get much more interest, it may be worth posting on the Mil thread and seeing if the GSA at Halton could donate a K21 and tug for the task.... serious BBQ territory then!

TBK

kevwal
23rd Mar 2006, 08:21
Hi Nimbus

I'm now a definite for Tue 23rd please, day booked off.

Being totally new to gliding a few questions....

How long do winch launch flights last?
I assume you get to go higher and further on a tug launch?
How much extra would the tug launch be?

Thanks
Kev

Nimbus265
23rd Mar 2006, 15:41
OK Folks, Just in the processes of putting all the arrangements in place.

Hi Nimbus
I'm now a definite for Tue 23rd please, day booked off.
Being totally new to gliding a few questions....
How long do winch launch flights last?
I assume you get to go higher and further on a tug launch?
How much extra would the tug launch be?
Thanks
Kev

To answer your questions Kev:

How long do winch launch flights last? - that depends on whether you manage to stay up or not!!!

I assume you get to go higher and further on a tug launch? - incorrect! We currently operate winch launches, which on a good day (Reasonable head-wind) will give you in somewhere between 1500 and 2000' on the launch. If the pilot can establish himself in a thermal, then you can use this lift to ascend. Consequently you can then then 'hang around'! or use that height and transfer it to distance, trading height for distance. If you want to go further, then you need to stop and top up the height. An aerotow, will give you the release height (say 2000') without the need to find lift after coming off the winch launch to climb to 2000' feet.

How much extra would the tug launch be? - Currently working on the rates for that now; I'm trying to secure the clubs tug, but have offers of additional tugs as well.

Nimbus265
26th Mar 2006, 16:29
any more takers???

powerless
26th Mar 2006, 18:46
If you need any more help on the ground side I can be available if your own club is short of people mid week.

Jenni Morton
26th Mar 2006, 20:53
sadly can not join you
just know it will be a brill day
enjoy

MyData
27th Mar 2006, 10:08
Sadly, I too wouldn't be able to make this. It sounds like a great idea.

Are there any gliding PPRuNers in the North (M62 Corridor) who might be able to arrange something similar?

Nimbus265
20th Apr 2006, 08:08
Details should now be published next week following a couple of weeks away. Regards

Nimbus

studentpilotmcuk
20th Apr 2006, 15:05
Could people who already have gliding experience come down as well, I was thinking coming down for a laugh and chat not for flying, just to meet people and make new friends.

Regards SPMCUK:)

PS Anyone going from Lincolnshire area??

BRL
20th Apr 2006, 16:05
Hi all. Thank you Nimbus for bringing this back to the top. There will be a list going up soon as to who will be going on what days.

At the moment I have very limited access for a while, my laptop is very poorly and this is affecting getting online but I will post a list in the next day or so.

Anyone can come to this even if you don't want to fly, just turn up and have a chat, enjoy the day and bring something for the bbq!!

studentpilotmcuk
20th Apr 2006, 16:25
thats fantastic could you let me know the name of the gliding site and the name of the towns nearby with places to stay I am really looking forward to it you cant beat a good ppruners bash

Kind Regards safe flying

SPMCUK:ok:

Nimbus265
26th Apr 2006, 08:27
OK, Airfield booked for the 2 days (I'm working on the weather)...Club Members now stood up to help.

BRL is working on the list of who is coming on what day, which will be published ASAP.

If you have had previous experience - then still come along... If you just want to watch and talk/banter, then please come along.

Important bit.... would those of you who wish to fly into Upavon please PM or e-mail me as soon as possible so that I can notify the DAIS by FAX. ac reg, P1 and point of departure please. Airfield will be open to visiting ac from 0930hrs (local).

Sailplane and Gliding magazine are also hoping to cover the event.

Anyone travelling by car who needs directions let me know! I've had an offer by one of the club members to put on a BBQ at lunch time. Who's interested???

More to follow... Nimbus

BRL
26th Apr 2006, 19:50
Ok, many many thanks Nimbus for sorting all this out, very much appreciated. :)

Here is a list for those who have indicated earlier on this thread when they can come. I did have all but two for day one, so have split the names up a bit to cover both days. If you can't make it or want to change you day or anything else, please let me or Nimbus know as soon as you can.

Nimbus will be sorting out those of you who want to fly in-please get in touch with him for more details about this as soon as you can.

Anyone can attend for the two days, non-flyers will be more than welcome and don't forget there is a BBQ too!!

I hope to be there for both days, flying on the Monday and helping out on the Tuesday so come down and say hello if you want.

Anyhow, here is the list..........

Monday 22 May.

Penguina Bob Stinger Brl Broomstick Pilot HighWing Drifter DBo Aerbabe Rotorboater Saab Dastard

Tuesday 23 May.

Juliet Papa Kevwal Pulse1 Pitts Flyer Papa Charlie ARLG TMMorris CDH

As you can see there is room for more if you want to come and fly on the day, just let us now if you want me to add you names to the list.

See you all there!

Saab Dastard
26th Apr 2006, 21:21
Great stuff BRL and Nimbus, thanks for arranging this. :ok:

I'm up for a BBQ for lunch and / or dinner - do we need to bring vittles (or just cash) ;)

Can you let us know if we need to pay anything up front, and I would appreciate directions by road.

I will be driving from SW London if anyone wants a ride - just PM me.

I'll start praying for good weather!

SD

AerBabe
26th Apr 2006, 21:29
Thanks for organising this, chaps!

Saad Bast ... oh no, I always make that mistake.
Anyway - need to check my rota, but if I can make the 22nd, can I have a life please?

CDH
26th Apr 2006, 22:12
Ok, many many thanks Nimbus for sorting all this out, very much appreciated. :)
Here is a list for those who have indicated earlier on this thread when they can come. I did have all but two for day one, so have split the names up a bit to cover both days. If you can't make it or want to change you day or anything else, please let me or Nimbus know as soon as you can.
Nimbus will be sorting out those of you who want to fly in-please get in touch with him for more details about this as soon as you can.
Anyone can attend for the two days, non-flyers will be more than welcome and don't forget there is a BBQ too!!
I hope to be there for both days, flying on the Monday and helping out on the Tuesday so come down and say hello if you want.
Anyhow, here is the list..........
Monday 22 May.
dwshimoda Penguina Bob Stinger Brl Broomstick Pilot HighWing Drifter TMMorris DBo Aerbabe Rotorboater Saab Dastard CDH

Tuesday 23 May.
Juliet Papa Kevwal Pulse1 Distaff Beancounter Pitts Flyer Papa Charlie ARLG

As you can see there is room for more if you want to come and fly on the day, just let us now if you want me to add you names to the list.
See you all there!
just added me to monday
I did pm nimbus, must have got lost?? (note on page 2)
I'll resend a/c detail for arrival ppr
Anyone want a lift from oop Norf?

pulse1
26th Apr 2006, 22:17
Many thanks Nimbus and BRL for organising what we hope will be a great couple of days. I will certainly be there on the Tuesday. As I am still uncertain whether the annual on the aeroplane will be finished by then, I think I had better commit to drive. Probably be quicker anyway.

I look forward to meeting everyone there.

Saab Dastard
27th Apr 2006, 09:22
AB,

can I have a life please

I'm afraid I can't help you with that, but if you need a lift I would be delighted. :p

SB - oh no, SD

BRL
27th Apr 2006, 17:30
Just had one drop out from day 1. Plenty of spaces left for anyone who wants to come, just let us know here please. :)

AerBabe
27th Apr 2006, 18:43
AB,
I'm afraid I can't help you with that, but if you need a lift I would be delighted. :p
SB - oh no, SD

Oh dear, Freudian slip. :uhoh:

BRL
28th Apr 2006, 08:45
Just moved one from day one to the second day. Plenty of spaces still available.

Nimbus, do we bring our own food for the BBQ or will it be pay as you go??

kevwal
28th Apr 2006, 10:59
Hi All

Thanks again to Nimbus / BRL for organising. Unfortunataly my lift from Cranfield had to drop out so I am after a lift down again :)

Anyone going past Northamptonshire fancy picking me up from a local airfield (Sywell?) or anyone setting off within an hour or so of Northampton want some company and cost share?

Very happy to cost share, pay landing fees, buy lunch, etc.

Cheers
Kev

Nimbus265
28th Apr 2006, 11:39
If the uptake on a provided BBQ looks good, then we'll put one on..... If it doesn't then, if you bring your own food, we have the facilities for you to burn your own meat!!

So those of you coming.... do you want us to provide, or do you want to bring your own?

kevwal
28th Apr 2006, 11:46
A burger and / or a sausage or two in a roll would be gratefully received and happy to pay a few quid for them. Better than us all bringing bits IMHO?

Cheers
Kev

CDH
28th Apr 2006, 21:42
Unfortunataly my lift from Cranfield had to drop out so I am after a lift down again :)
Anyone going past Northamptonshire fancy picking me up from a local airfield (Sywell?) or anyone setting off within an hour or so of Northampton want some company and cost share?Kev

Kev
I see this as an omen, If i change days from Monday to Tuesday I can pick you up on the way down & we can both fly on the sunniest day....

pm me comtact number to chat
CH

kevwal
30th Apr 2006, 06:45
I see this as an omen, If i change days from Monday to Tuesday I can pick you up on the way down & we can both fly on the sunniest day....
pm me comtact number to chat
CH

CDH, your a star, thanks very much, email sent with contact details etc.

Cheers
Kev

CDH
30th Apr 2006, 20:02
Kev
No PM or email recieved as yet :confused:

BRL
30th Apr 2006, 20:23
Hi CDH. I have just sent you an email and a private message just to see if they get through ok.

kevwal
30th Apr 2006, 20:49
Hi CDH

Strange, I sent the email using the 'Email CDH' option, sent again by PM and Email this time.

Cheers
Kev

CDH
1st May 2006, 08:20
Hi CDH
Strange, I sent the email using the 'Email CDH' option, sent again by PM and Email this time.
Cheers
Kev
Kev got it, YHM
Alex YHM
I was going to update the list, change me to Tuesday but BRL has beat me to it :ok:
thanks Paul

Nimbus265
1st May 2006, 15:25
BRL

Can you keep the list updated and repost; also it would help if people could indicate their method of transport?

Penguina
1st May 2006, 15:32
Woohoo! Can't wait! :)

Anyone driving up from (SE) London, or passing a suitable station on the way?

(I might be getting a Penguinmobile in September, so I'll be able finally to return all these favours!)

Or could I fly in? If that's possible, it would probably be from Elstree, if anyone wants the other seat.

BRL
1st May 2006, 17:35
I have been updating it almost daily as people have dropped out and changed days as they go. It looks like there are nine for each day now.

I'll be arriving by car for both days if anyone would like lift from along the south coast.

Directions should be posted soon!

I look forward to it :)

PS, is anyone flying in from Shoreham or Redhill?

pulse1
1st May 2006, 19:23
I will be motoring up from the south (Dorset) on Tuesday if it helps anyone. There is a possibility I may fly in from EGHA if the aeroplane is back in time.

I am also interested in the odd hamburger as long as it doesn't interfere with the main purpose of the day.

tmmorris
1st May 2006, 19:49
Flying in from Benson, if anyone wants a lift.

Tim

Rocket2
2nd May 2006, 07:32
Mrs R2 is looking after the catering, if anyone prefers veggie stuff please PM me otherwise it'll be beefburgers/hot dogs etc.
Lets hope the weather Gods play ball!
R2

distaff_beancounter
2nd May 2006, 21:47
Nimbus265
I am very sorry to say that I will have to drop out, due to a late clash of dates.
Have a good day everyone else :)

Nimbus265
3rd May 2006, 08:16
Those flying in so far:
PITTS Flyer in G-PTTS
CDH in G -BFAI
tmmorris in G-BHDM
Laundryman and Pulse1, can you confirm your intent? is so ac reg, point of departure and P1 please.
Anyone else wishing/intending to fly in, please pm/post details. Thanks

Penguina
3rd May 2006, 09:18
R2: I don't eat meat. Why don't I just bring my own stuff to add to the grill, as I can be a bit picky? I'm not a strict veggie so I don't mind if juices seep a bit!

Nimbus - can I let you know next week if I'm going to fly in?

rotorboater
3rd May 2006, 10:21
My engine is being rebuilt at the moment, if its ready in time, I will fly in otherwise it will be in the car but I will be there somehow!

Nimbus265
3rd May 2006, 11:00
R2: I don't eat meat. Why don't I just bring my own stuff to add to the grill, as I can be a bit picky? I'm not a strict veggie so I don't mind if juices seep a bit!
Nimbus - can I let you know next week if I'm going to fly in?

You can. I need details by close of play Monday for the DAIS clearance.

Nimbus265
5th May 2006, 13:34
Mon 22 May
Penguina

Tue 23 May
Pitts Flyer, CDH, tmmorris and Pulse1.

Clearance through D128 to Upavon agreed with salisbury Ops as per your details provided. Please contact me by e-mail ([email protected]) so that I can send you arrival/joining instructions for the Danger Area and airfield.

Anyone else wishing to fly-in, please contact me as soon as possible.

Penguina
5th May 2006, 16:43
Nimbus - sending you a PM...

CDH
5th May 2006, 18:41
Nimbus
mail on its way.

Thanks
Chris

ARLG
13th May 2006, 07:21
BRL.. really sorry I cannot come now due to work commitments.

Hope you have an enjoyable and successful few days

CDH - sorry for this Chris tried to send a pm but your inbox is full.

CDH
13th May 2006, 16:13
BRL.. really sorry I cannot come now due to work commitments.
Hope you have an enjoyable and successful few days
CDH - sorry for this Chris tried to send a pm but your inbox is full.

No probs Alex
(inbox now emptied)

BRL
13th May 2006, 22:03
No worries mate. :)

Nimbus265
15th May 2006, 19:46
All systems go!!

For those of you coming on this wonderfull couple of days, please aim to me at Upavon Airfield, near Pewsey, Wilts about 0930hrs on the 22 and 23rd May. Those flying have been sent separate instructions. If the weather is utterly pants on the 22nd, we will use the 23rd as a slip day. You're all pilots!(well most of you are!) so check the weather the day before. generally, if the cloud base is above 800' AGL and its not raining cats and dogs, then we will be flying.

A quick respose from all of those of you who are coming posted on here will give me and BRL a good idea of wh is still going to make it!!!

Sunglasses, floppy hats, cameras are all essential. (Sick bags can be provided!!)!!:eek:

kevwal
15th May 2006, 21:20
Hi

Yes, all being well see you all on Tuesday, may be plus 1 but ill let you know if it is.

Cheers
Kev

Saab Dastard
15th May 2006, 22:29
Nimbus265,

Most Excellent! I will be there on the 22 (hopefully with a passenger or two from the list). Do we bring a) cash, b) cheques c) credit cards? I guess as flyers we should know to bring all 3 ;)

Fingers, toes and other appendages crossed for blue skies!

:D

Thanks

SD

pulse1
16th May 2006, 07:37
I am definitely on for the Tuesday:ok: . I am still uncertain about the aeroplane being available as we are now waiting on the paperwork coming back from the CAA in time for the airtest:( . I probably won't know until the Monday.

studentpilotmcuk
16th May 2006, 15:00
Hi I am definately on for Tuesday god willing.

See you all there

mcuk:D

tmmorris
16th May 2006, 16:03
Yes, still on (and flying in, weather permitting).

Tim

Penguina
16th May 2006, 20:56
I'm still on at this stage!

Pitts Flyer
17th May 2006, 15:01
All set for Tuesday

rotorboater
17th May 2006, 15:26
All set for Monday still, driving in though - got the bill for my engine :eek: but not fitted yet.

Juliet Papa
17th May 2006, 17:23
Still on for the 23rd! Anyone wanting a lift from the South West please let me know (Bridgwater/Glastonbury area - will probably go via A303)

Cheers,

JP :ok:

CDH
17th May 2006, 19:19
Still up for Tuesday (if the weather is playing)
I'd much prefer to fly down than drive :ok:

AerBabe
19th May 2006, 07:39
Oh pooh. I'm really really sorry, but I'll have to duck out. With only about three weeks until I move away from North Weald, I have to go looking for somewhere to live. AerBloke only gets Mondays off, so I'm left with no choice but to cancel on you.

Thank you so much for setting this all up and I hope everyone has a great day. If you do it again I'd still love to come along.

Sad Bast... - thanks again for the offer of the life, err, lift. Hopefully catch up with you another time soon?

josher
19th May 2006, 18:05
Just come back to PPRune and seen this thread. Have toyed with the idea of getting gliding experience for a while. Can you take a late joiner? I live locally and could do either [or both ] days. I am in a fit of optimism and assuming that the weather is not going be as **** awful as currently.

Nimbus265
19th May 2006, 21:07
Ladies and Gents,
As most of you will be able to see from various weather forcasting websites,as well as the good old Met Office, to put it bluntly, the forecast for Monday and Tuesday is utter C:mad:p!
Having consulted widely with my club members as well as others who intended to come, I think that it is prudent to postpone the event planned for Monday and Tuesday. I know many of you will have made various arrangements to travel but the bottom line is if it ain't flyable - its ain't flyable. Additionally, we of the gliding fraternity, would far prefer you to experience gliding at its best, rather than spend a day damp and soggy on a grass airfield with a cloudbase of a few hundred feet, hoping to find a quick break between the showers for a quick and abridged circuit.
This is not a cancellation, this is a postponement, and I will endevour to publish new dates as early as I can in the early part of next week.
Nimbus
It would be useful if you could acknowledge this message so that myslef and BRL can account for all of those who said you were coming, have got the message.

Penguina
19th May 2006, 21:35
Read & digested. What bad luck to have this weather now!

Still, maybe Ill be able to fly in once more when you re-schedule!

Saab Dastard
19th May 2006, 22:20
Have the message, thanks. :{

Please don't make it w/c 29 May, as I'm away!

So who cracked the mirror / trod on the cat / opened the brolly indoors, eh?

SD

pulse1
20th May 2006, 08:01
Message received and understood. At least I should have the aeroplane back before the next date.

tmmorris
20th May 2006, 08:27
Message received; I did wonder when I saw the forecast!

Tim

CDH
20th May 2006, 09:27
Good call Nimbus.
Lets hope we have better luck for the next one

Papa Charlie
20th May 2006, 11:41
Received OK. Sensible decision! Fingers crossed for the next time.

rotorboater
20th May 2006, 16:45
Bad luck, let me know the next date & hopefully I can make it.

AerBabe
20th May 2006, 18:30
Oh good! :ok:

If you postpone it long enough, I'll be in my new job and might be able to come after all. :)

Pitts Flyer
21st May 2006, 09:12
Received and understood.

PF

studentpilotmcuk
22nd May 2006, 11:15
Thanks for letting me know all the best spuk :ugh:

BRL
22nd May 2006, 14:59
Hi all. I have just got my laptop going after nearly a week off-line and would like to thank Nimbus' for sorting out and making the important decision to postpone the event. I chatted with Nimbus' on the phone the other night and he should be back with a date pretty soon. Thank you Nimbus265.

Saab Dastard
5th Jul 2006, 17:16
Any update on this?

I for one am very much still "up for it"

:)

SD